Page 39 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I think the window will close very fast if we don’t sign Freddie. Next year Swanson, the following Max and then who knows.
    We have Max for 3 more seasons

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/pitcher-...and-relievers/

The general takeaway was that, as suspected, pitchers age differently than hitters. Generally, pitchers see their velocity peak in their early 20s and steadily decline by a full mile per hour by age 26. After that, velocity drops more sharply and continues a steep decline into a pitcher’s 30s.

------

And then you have elite pitchers like Scherzer/Verlander/Degrom/etc... that don't seem to follow this.

Fried is INCREASING his velocity at 27.
    Remember when you said Newk would be in the middle of 5 win seasons right now? Remember when you declared Allard a TOR guy? Remember all the other lists of SP prospects you listed out to drool over, fantasizing about how awesome they would make the Braves rotation?

You were wrong. Always wrong.

Let's just assume you aren't suddenly correct...about anything. It will save a lot of time discussing things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Remember when you said Newk would be in the middle of 5 win seasons right now? Remember when you declared Allard a TOR guy? Remember al lthe other pists of SP prospects you listed out to drool over, fantasizing about how awesome they would make the Braves rotation?

You were wrong. Always wrong.

Let's just assume you aren't suddenly correct...about anything. It will save a lot of time discussing things.
    Remember when I said that Riley would be a very good player despite you consistently saying he was garbage?
    Remember when I said Fried would be an Ace and you suggested he should be traded for a scrub?
    Remember when I said that TDA would be a great addition when he was first acquired and you laughed?
    Remember when I said I was shocked that people didn't think our deadline deals would have more of an impact because they were actual major leagues?

ALWAYS wrong
    Last edited by thethe; 11-11-2021 at 02:06 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Fried and Sims might hold more value to a team like the Rays who value cheap MLB-ready guys more than other clubs (the A's meet that description as well). One of them plus Matt Adams might be enough to cover about half the cost of acquiring Odorizzi.
    OMG - Imagine the Braves listened to Enscheff and traded Fried for Odorizzi?

Fried with someone else MIGHT be enough for Odorizzi.

Literally would have traded one of the best 10 or 20 pitchers in the league who pitched six shutout innings in game six of our world series clincher against a great offense for a scrub.
    Last edited by thethe; 11-11-2021 at 02:08 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Austin Riley: His BABIP-fueled .900 OPS at AA as a 20 year old may fool a team into thinking he is a long term answer at 3B
    OMG - He wanted to just give away someone who will most likely be one of our cornerstone players because he looked at BABIP and then he had all the answers.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So lets just face it.

WE ARE ALL WRONG A LOT ABOUT PLAYERS.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Remember when I said that Riley would be a very good player despite you consistently saying he was garbage?
    Remember when I said Fried would be an Ace and you suggested he should be traded for a scrub?
    Remember when I said that TDA would be a great addition when he was first acquired and you laughed?
    Remember when I said I was shocked that people didn't think our deadline deals would have more of an impact because they were actual major leagues?

ALWAYS wrong
    Again, wrong.

I detailed Riley's exact problems, and continued to detail his improvements in those exact areas.

I explained Fried's problem was his flat FA, and always was hesitant to trade him due to the excellent spin rate on the curve. I wanted him to switch to a sinker, instead he mixed i na sinker and added a slider.

I don't remember caring much about TDA, and thought he was fine if the elite options weren't happening.

Now you are claiming to be the only person who thought adding fringe MLB OFers would propel the team to a championship?

Wow...what must it be like to live inside that head?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Again, wrong.

I detailed Riley's exact problems, and continued to detail his improvements in those exact areas.

I explained Fried's problem was his flat FA, and always was hesitant to trade him due to the excellent spin rate on the curve. I wanted him to switch to a sinker, instead he mixed i na sinker and added a slider.

I don't remember caring much about TDA, and thought he was fine if the elite options weren't happening.

Now you are claiming to be the only person who thought adding fringe MLB OFers would propel the team to a championship?

Wow...what must it be like to live inside that head?
    You discounted Riley a 20 year old strictly because of his BABIP and didn't think he could make any improvements at all. You were dying to trade him.

Hesitant to trade Fried except for the great ODORIZZI!!!!

No - Not a championship. I just thought it was more than a marginal improvement.
    Last edited by thethe; 11-11-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    OMG - He wanted to just give away someone who will most likely be one of our cornerstone players because he looked at BABIP and then he had all the answers.
    The difference here is I have since stopped making evaluations on players that I don't have MLB statcast data about. After being wrong about Wright, I don't even bother speculating on MiLB players anymore because I know I don't have the required info.

You, on the other hand, continue to make the same moronic declarations about players over and over based on whatever tidbit you cherry pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The difference here is I have since stopped making evaluations on players that I don't have MLB statcast data about. After being wrong about Wright, I don't even bother speculating on MiLB players anymore because I know I don't have the required info.

You, on the other hand, continue to make the same moronic declarations about players over and over based on whatever tidbit you cherry pick.
    And who might that be in the same timeframe after you were hilariously wrong about Riley/Fried?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    why front load a contract with inflation acting as it is?
    One reason is the assumption that some if not all of Ozuna’s money will not have to be paid in 2022 due to a coming suspension.

Another is that Acuna and Ozzie will start to cost more in coming years.

Finally there is the idea of paying for production as you get it, as opposed to deferring some of the cost to future years. A typical Freeman season would be worth $40MM. He’s more likely to be worth that next year than he is to be worth $30MM plus at the end of a five year deal. I understand the concern about inflation as well as the time value of money. The front load is more about preserving the competitive window for a little longer.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Time to forget the idea of getting Reynolds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Never made any sense to go after Reynolds.

Strider/Grissom is the starting point on any discussion.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Never made any sense to go after Reynolds.

Strider/Grissom is the starting point on any discussion.
    It makes sense if you are rebuilding in 3 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It makes sense if you are rebuilding in 3 years
    Why the hell would we rebuild in 3 years?

We have Acuna/Albies/Fried/Riley/Anderson/Soroka and lots of money.

There is also lots of depth in the farm to provide above replacement help at cheap prices.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Hopefully the Phillies trade every single good prospects for Reynolds.

My personal opinion Pache need more playing time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Hopefully the Phillies trade every single good prospects for Reynolds.

My personal opinion Pache need more playing time.
    I don't see why we wouldn't just give Pache 100 games and load up at 1B/DH/LF.

There is more than enough hitting to support his bat assuming he is providing plus plus defense.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Time to forget the idea of getting Reynolds

At least so far, the competition for CF seems to be pretty stiff. Lots of teams in on Marte, and the price for Reynolds is obviously sky high.

If some of the justification for letting Freeman walk is that extra cash could go towards CF, that bit of justification is probably evaporating. The best play might end up being a guy like Duvall, Joc and/or Heredia as placeholders in CF, and splurging on Freeman.

So much left to play out before we can really say what the smartest thing to do with Freeman is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I don't see why we wouldn't just give Pache 100 games and load up at 1B/DH/LF.

There is more than enough hitting to support his bat assuming he is providing plus plus defense.
    I know Pache's defensive stats are promising (to say the least), but he has looked awkward and terrified out there at the Major League level. Worrisome.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Why the hell would we rebuild in 3 years?

We have Acuna/Albies/Fried/Riley/Anderson/Soroka and lots of money.

There is also lots of depth in the farm to provide above replacement help at cheap prices.
    We have Fried and Soroka for 3 more years

Riley for 4 years and Anderson for 5

Reynolds is under control for 4 more years. There is an argument for going for it big over the next 3-4 years.