Page 41 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd be a little surprised at Verlander but wouldnt hate that move. Need to address the offensive moves first though.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    We have Max for 3 more years.
    Think he meant Scherzer.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Think he meant Scherzer.
    Pretty sure it's Fried since hes talking about Swanson but it's all good either way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    "I have Verlander to the Braves as of right now." -Trevor Plouffe
    And why would anyone put any stock into what this guy says?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And why would anyone put any stock into what this guy says?
    Because he has one of those fancy check marks next to his name on Twitter. Check mark = reliable

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    Because he has one of those fancy check marks next to his name on Twitter. Check mark = reliable
    He did call Braves over Astros in six games back in March.

Maybe he’s Nostradamus.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    He did call Braves over Astros in six games back in March.

Maybe he’s Nostradamus.
    That's the reason and it's more tongue in cheek than anything

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    It's strange how that tidbit of information about Freeman rejecting that deal was thrown into the end of the article like it was known already. Almost makes me feel like it was made up, since that alone should be headline worthy.
    It's Bob Nightengale so it is almost certainly wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Anyone else think it's hilarious that Scott Boras thinks we got Joc, Soler, and Duvall because their teams were tanking? I mean, they were all three having such GREAT years and all. Pretty much the top trade targets available. *rolls eyes*
    Scott Boras is like an internet troll at this point. I hope his toe finds the corner of his bed every night.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-12-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Elite pitchers seems to be ageing well lately.

Top 10 fWAR for pitchers in 2018

Degrom
    Scherzer
    Verlander
    Cole
    Bauer
    Nola
    Corbin
    Kluber
    Severino
    Carasco

So the injury risk is there but how do weight that against hitters that lose bat speed as they age?
    Like half of those pitchers got injured this year or have had serious injuries recently.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-12-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    At least so far, the competition for CF seems to be pretty stiff. Lots of teams in on Marte, and the price for Reynolds is obviously sky high.

If some of the justification for letting Freeman walk is that extra cash could go towards CF, that bit of justification is probably evaporating. The best play might end up being a guy like Duvall, Joc and/or Heredia as placeholders in CF, and splurging on Freeman.

So much left to play out before we can really say what the smartest thing to do with Freeman is.
    Acuna and Pache (maybe Waters) seem like the easiest path for us to cover CF. Of course we could be hesitant to play him CF again given his injury.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Remember when I said that Riley would be a very good player despite you consistently saying he was garbage?
    Remember when I said Fried would be an Ace and you suggested he should be traded for a scrub?
    Remember when I said that TDA would be a great addition when he was first acquired and you laughed?
    Remember when I said I was shocked that people didn't think our deadline deals would have more of an impact because they were actual major leagues?

ALWAYS wrong
    Too his credit, you think every heralded prospect is the next star of the MLB. When. You hype up every single player, of course you're going to have some hits.

Riley wouldn't be a major league player if he didn't drastically change his approach last year. His approach in the minors and his rookie season would have him hitting .200 or worse with an OBP hovering around .250, which is basically how he hit after his hit start. And there's zero way you could have predicted 2-3 years ago that he would have totally changed his approach.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I would say, for those worrying about our window, we will absolutely develop more players over the next 2-3 years to replace the guys leaving. Given our propensity for drafting pitching, there is a solid chance at least one of Muller, Davidson, Strider, Cusick, Shuster, Tarnok, etc. become an above average major league starter.

And of course, payroll appears to be increasing for us, so that gives us a better ability to retain guys/bring in quality players to replace the ones leaving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Too his credit, you think every heralded prospect is the next star of the MLB. When. You hype up every single player, of course you're going to have some hits.

Riley wouldn't be a major league player if he didn't drastically change his approach last year. His approach in the minors and his rookie season would have him hitting .200 or worse with an OBP hovering around .250, which is basically how he hit after his hit start. And there's zero way you could have predicted 2-3 years ago that he would have totally changed his approach.
    Tell me who in the last 5 years during the same time it was suggested to trade fried plus for maybe odorizzi?

I said Riley IMPROVED each time he saw the league because he made adjustments so yes I did believe that Riley would make adjustments at the mlb level.

I understand you’re still hurt about the nursing home conspiracy theory in New York. It’s ok man. That was a long time ago.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I would say, for those worrying about our window, we will absolutely develop more players over the next 2-3 years to replace the guys leaving. Given our propensity for drafting pitching, there is a solid chance at least one of Muller, Davidson, Strider, Cusick, Shuster, Tarnok, etc. become an above average major league starter.

And of course, payroll appears to be increasing for us, so that gives us a better ability to retain guys/bring in quality players to replace the ones leaving.
    And unlike our division rivals the Mets, Phillies and Nationals, we actually appear able to develop our top prospects into major league pieces.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-12-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    And unlike our division rivals the Mets, Phillies and Nationals, we actually appear able to develop our top prospects into major league pieces.
    Yes but Pache need more playing time and over here people want Reynolds and Marte. We need to give the opportunities to our players. They are going to struggle but every single rookie always need to do adjustments to develop. Wright is another that I feel he need a full season no 1-2 games and send him back to the minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Yes but Pache need more playing time and over here people want Reynolds and Marte. We need to give the opportunities to our players. They are going to struggle but every single rookie always need to do adjustments to develop. Wright is another that I feel he need a full season no 1-2 games and send him back to the minors.
    Wright should absolutely open the season as our fifth starter.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I don't know if Pache will ever be average offensively.

Remember when Riley was one of the worst hitters in baseball. Then he became very good.

Then this past season it was Pache.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Tell me who in the last 5 years during the same time it was suggested to trade fried plus for maybe odorizzi?

I said Riley IMPROVED each time he saw the league because he made adjustments so yes I did believe that Riley would make adjustments at the mlb level.

I understand you’re still hurt about the nursing home conspiracy theory in New York. It’s ok man. That was a long time ago.
    To say Riley "made adjustments" is the understatement of the century. He completely changed his approach. He went from a free swinger with poor plate discipline who had maybe the worst contact rate in the majors, to a selective hitter with good contact rates in the majors this year.

To act like you saw this coming is laughable. Riley is truly a unicorn. As Enscheff said awhile back, it would be tough to find a similar player in baseball history that was able to make those adjustments, particularly in such a little amount of time.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-12-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I don't know if Pache will ever be average offensively.

Remember when Riley was one of the worst hitters in baseball. Then he became very good.

Then this past season it was Pache.
    They are not at all the same hitters but Riley gives me hope in Pache. It is hard to forget Pache's MLB performance this year, in the same light as it was hard to forget Riley's 2nd half performance of 2019.

Pache has obviously been working on some changes based on his results at AAA this year. The last 2 months were actually very encouraging (for an exceptional defensive player). It took Riley over a year and 2 off seasons to correct his major flaws, how long will it take Pache. I think he just experienced year 1 and now offseason 1 is coming up. Lets see if he can make the strides Riley made over the past year. If so and his August / Sep AAA stats are who he really is, then I look forward to him taking over CF for the 2022 World Champion Atlanta Braves.