Page 46 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    AA seems to have a strategy of letting the market decide on FF. Interesting. Clearly a team like the Mets or Dodgers could meet his price. If universal DH mets could move Alanso to DH.

I think AA may think that his fellow GMs are not going to want a potential Albert Pujos contract on their books. I assume he's hoping the top is 5/150 and FF would rather take 5/140 from the Braves. We shall see. We know it's not the most efficient way to build a payroll, to invest in 30 yo first basemen. But having impact players is important. We'd have to get 2 x 800+ OPS bats IMO to make up for one FF.

teams don't operate this way, but I wish we could take the extra hundred million or whatever we made in the playoffs and selling WS gear and just do a giant bonus for FF. Pay him 50 million this year and let the contract decline over time. But they don't operate that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What are the acceptable backup plans to Freeman? We define acceptable as an .800+ OPS that includes a .350+ OBP, and the ability to play 1B competently? (Meaning we aren’t sticking Ozuna there in hopes he can sometimes field a grounder)

Rizzo on a 2-3 year deal.

A fairly large prospect package for Olson.

Maybe Belt if he rejects the QO?

Kyle Seager?

Canha?

Can Castellanos play 1B?
    How much would Matt Olson cost? He's only got two years of control and he's making decent money.

I wonder if they'd look to put Soler at 1B and Conferto in LF.

Look at Ramirez from the Indians and move Riley to 1B?

Castellanos at 1B would be interesting. Would he be ok with that?

Replacing FF will be so tough on a player. I wonder if they'd have a hard time replacing with a FA 1b. Moving Riley to 1B might be the move and look at Moving one of the many FA SS to 3B?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I’d probably project Olson for 9 wins over the next 2 years while being paid $30M. That’s something like $50M in surplus value.

Assuming Pache is still a low end 55, he’s worth something like $40M-$50M all by himself. Lango is probably worth roughly $30M. Waters and Harris roughly $20M+ each. Then all the others below then worth less than that.

The benefit of dealing with the As is they tend to value guys with the ceiling of a 1-2 win player more than other organizations, so a quantity over quality package might appeal to them.

Something like Pache plus filler might work if they are looking for the best available headliner.

Something like Waters plus arms of real value might work if they are looking for quantity.

Something centered around Touki or Wright might work if they are looking to add an arm that is definitely an MLB contributor, perhaps in a hybrid role.

Maybe they love Contreras’ bat and his ability to (somewhat) play catcher.

I would be hesitant to deal Lango or Harris though. I think both are good bets to be real contributors to the MLB team. Losing Pache would sting, but if the money saved by trading for Olson allows for upgrades elsewhere (now and in the future), it might be worth it. I don’t want to lose Touki or Wright either, but definitely worth a Freeman clone. I would gladly use Waters and Davidson in such a trade.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-14-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If the NL gets the DH, then maybe Olson's market is bigger.

I think Oakland is going to do a firesale. If they go for the full go, prices may be lower than that. He's good, but there are a lot of guys that can play 1B and hit when you are talking about 12 million next year and 18 million after. Market might not be huge.

Honestly if we are going a big trade with even one of Pache, Waters, or Contreras then I'm looking for an impact bat at an impact position. I'd rather go get basically anyone other than a 1B. Really, Soler can probably handle 1B for 12-15 million per year for 2-3 years.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What are the acceptable backup plans to Freeman? We define acceptable as an .800+ OPS that includes a .350+ OBP, and the ability to play 1B competently? (Meaning we aren’t sticking Ozuna there in hopes he can sometimes field a grounder)

Rizzo on a 2-3 year deal.

A fairly large prospect package for Olson.

Maybe Belt if he rejects the QO?

Kyle Seager?

Canha?

Can Castellanos play 1B?
    Hadn't really thought about Castellanos as an option at 1B, but I'm not sure why he couldn't be if Alex is thinking outside of the box - moved off of the dirt for defensive reasons, but those concerns probably aren't as big on the right side of the diamond.

Would make you AWFULLY right-handed if that plan doesn't include bringing back both Rosario and Pederson though.

If Alex could pull off a deal for Olson centered around Pache and Wright that would seem to make a lot of sense - you'd still have Waters' LH bat and could spend the extra money on Marte. Maybe he could even include Contreras and another arm to get Manaea in the package and solve most of their financial issues. If they then spun Chapman off for a haul they'd really load up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If one of the sides (AA or Freeman) blinks first I think it’ll be Freeman. Just bc we have a budget.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 11-14-2021 at 07:05 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I think if freeman gets a mega offer from another team (6/180 vs 5/140), the players union will pressure him to take it regardless if he prefers to stay with the Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think if freeman gets a mega offer from another team (6/180 vs 5/140), the players union will pressure him to take it regardless if he prefers to stay with the Braves
    If he prefers to stay with the Braves over taking more money, he will stay with the Braves.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2021), Super (11-16-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I really believe Plan A is Freeman, Plan B is Rizzo and Plan C someone else not name Olson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I really believe Plan A is Freeman, Plan B is Rizzo and Plan C someone else not name Olson.
    If Freeman moves on we will no doubt have to replace 1b with a big bat. There would be 3 spots we could upgrade the team and that’s LF, CF, and 1b. Olson would no doubt have to be a plan B or C.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Finally got some FA action.

ERod to the Tigers for 5 years, 77-80 million, per Passan. Opt-out after Year 2.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think Olson would be Plan B is Freeman left, but that depends what it costs to land him. I'm still not even sure who would be in on him. Yankees are more in big on the SS market, Boston has Casas and others, Dodgers have a ton of free agents to keep plus Muncy/Bellinger. I guess maybe the Angels or someone unexpected we arent even talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    So are most teams gonna wait out the CBA to start signing and trading guys?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    So are most teams gonna wait out the CBA to start signing and trading guys?
    Passan said Seager/Semien could sign before the lockout, but most of the big money guys probably will wait. I could see some trades/and signings of like less than 50 mil sign before then to get security. Wednesday is the QO day to accept or not so might see a little action then.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Finally got some FA action.

ERod to the Tigers for 5 years, 77-80 million, per Passan. Opt-out after Year 2.
    AAV seems a little low but I suppose he gave that up a bit for an extra year or so. And if he pitches like he has been it will be an easy opt-out.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    AAV seems a little low but I suppose he gave that up a bit for an extra year or so. And if he pitches like he has been it will be an easy opt-out.
    I think he probably wanted to get out of Fenway if anything, given how hard of a park that is to pitch in. AL Central parks should help him alot. But yeah, i thought he'd get at least 20 APY/AAV.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think Olson would be Plan B is Freeman left, but that depends what it costs to land him. I'm still not even sure who would be in on him. Yankees are more in big on the SS market, Boston has Casas and others, Dodgers have a ton of free agents to keep plus Muncy/Bellinger. I guess maybe the Angels or someone unexpected we arent even talking about.
    Maybe San Diego have better prospects to offer and the manager.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Maybe San Diego have better prospects to offer and the manager.
    Padres have 185 million in payroll per spotrac. 124 in 23 without arb factored in. They'd have to trade Hosmer and trade someone really valuable with him. But if Freeman did leave, i'd agree it's to the West Coast.

Even if successfully traded Hosmer, i dont think it would be to pursue Freeman. Word is they wanna add a front-line SP, their SP was decimated at the end of last season. I also dont think they want to add another potential albatross contract in Freeman potentially as well even if Freeman would probably age well.
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-15-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Padres have 185 million in payroll per spotrac. 124 in 23 without arb factored in. They'd have to trade Hosmer and trade someone really valuable with him. But if Freeman did leave, i'd agree it's to the West Coast.

Even if successfully traded Hosmer, i dont think it would be to pursue Freeman. Word is they wanna add a front-line SP, their SP was decimated at the end of last season. I also dont think they want to add another potential albatross contract in Freeman potentially as well even if Freeman would probably age well.
    Preller has yet to show restraint in offering bad contracts. SD is the team that worries me the most, followed by the Angels. I wouldn't put it past the Mets or Phillies to try to snag him just to keep him off our roster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The LAA never learn bc they always go for offense and never get any pitching. So yeah I could see them going in big time on FF. Unless the Padres add a big prospect and eat a lot of money Hosmer is gonna be difficult to trade, especially when a team could trade for Olson instead. If the DH does go into effect in the new CBA and Freeman is still out there I could see a lot of NL teams jumping in especially the Mets.