clvclv (11-26-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I love these moves for the Muts. They sign Canha as well
    Don't want to "over-value" these moves. but they're at least better than moves the Mutts typically make - multi-position guys that are potentially able able to help all over the diamond.

Adding a switch-hitter like Escobar and a guy like Canha to "replace" Conforto isn't an awful swap if they let Conforto walk - they've also got guys like Vientos and Mauricio who look like they might be multi-position guys too.

I don't think this is going to help them in the end since it appears the "boss" is more interested in names, but (for their sake) the names they're interested in can make the team deeper - much more than most of the signings they've made over the last few years.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-26-2021 at 10:04 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The Mets are loading up! They just sign Sterling Marte as well. Their offense is looking better. If they sign Scherzer to pair with DeGrom they're going to be a dangerous team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The Mets deal with Marte is for 4 years, $78M. Wow. Steal, IMO.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Marte have 4 good years left?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    That's right around what he was projected to get. He's already 33 so it comes with some risk. They have now also given up leverage when having to deal Davis and Smith and maybe even McNeil.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Eh that’s a pretty penny for Marte and for 1-2 years too long. The Mets wouldn’t go to 6 years/25 per for Springer (who was 25) but go 4 years at near 20 per for a 32 year old? That’s the Mets for you.

Look they are going to spend like crazy this winter because the training wheels are off of Steve Cohen (and he’s clearly pressured to do something bold given all of the Ls the organization has taken). I wouldn’t be surprised if they resigned Baez, signed Bryant and also made a strong push for both Scherzer and either Gausman or Stroman.

But…. They are still the Mets.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Lol. The Mets just signed 3 - 33 year olds coming off career years and people think they just got a lot better.

4/78 for a 33 year old CF that is not an especially good defender or has much power coming off a career high babip year. That contract will age well. Glad AA stayed away.

Canha is not too bad but IMO he is a bench player on a contender not a 13 mil a year starter. Duval > Canha

Why would the Mets take Nimmo out of CF? He’s capable defensively and his bat profiles better there. Terrible roster constructuon by the new GM for a team that struggled to score runs. A Nimmo, Marte and Canha outfield might hit 50 bombs all year. Acuna will hit at least 30 in the half season he plays.

I do think Escobar signing was good. 10 mil for a guy with some power that can play several infield positions is a good deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    You guys are kidding yourself if you don’t think these are good signings, even for the dumbass Mets.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I never thought Marte would get a four-year deal. I've always loved him as a player and was downright p*ssed when Anthopoulos didn't acquire him at the deadline in 2020 (Granted, I have no idea what the acquisition cost was). But, as others have said, I don't think the contract will age well.

Escobar is a good signing. He's another guy I've always liked. When the Twins acquired him from the White Sox in a deal for Francisco Liriano, the press up here ragged on the deal labelling Escobar as a "all-glove/no-hit" shortstop. It's just another example of how difficult it can be to assess younger players. Escobar grew off shortstop and turned into a decent hitter with a lot more power than was originally projected. Good clubhouse guy who can play just about anywhere on the field.

As pointed out above, the additional bonus for the Mets is it allows them the flexibility to market some guys.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-27-2021), jpx7 (11-27-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    You guys are kidding yourself if you don’t think these are good signings, even for the dumbass Mets.
    They aren't terrible deals.

They also aren't the kind of deals that, by themselves, will change the direction of their franchise.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I never thought Marte would get a four-year deal. I've always loved him as a player and was downright p*ssed when Anthopoulos didn't acquire him at the deadline in 2020 (Granted, I have no idea what the acquisition cost was). But, as others have said, I don't think the contract will age well.

Escobar is a good signing. He's another guy I've always liked. When the Twins acquired him from the White Sox in a deal for Francisco Liriano, the press up here ragged on the deal labelling Escobar as a "all-glove/no-hit" shortstop. It's just another example of how difficult it can be to assess younger players. Escobar grew off shortstop and turned into a decent hitter with a lot more power than was originally projected. Good clubhouse guy who can play just about anywhere on the field.

As pointed out above, the additional bonus for the Mets is it allows them the flexibility to market some guys.
    Assuming they're smart - for the first time in a long time - they should be able to get a LOT better. Their infield could be set with Alonso, Cano, Lindor, and Escobar, and at least two of their OF slots should be settled with Marte and Nimmo - and Canha's not "awful". With Smith, Davis, and McNeil controllable for 3 more seasons and Mauricio blocked by Lindor, they should line up really well with someone like Cleveland or Miami that's looking for inexpensive bats with young pitching to trade. Vientos and Baty aren't that far from potentially being able to at least help them as backup or platoon corner guys.

Sucks for them that they're stuck with Cano, but if they think they'll get anything from him at all they should be more than happy to move McNeil and/or Mauricio.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Don't agree with that. He's already 33. McCutchen had been a considerably better player when he signed with the Phillies at age 31. And he only signed for 4/50.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    They are solid additions overall. But not particularly great value. Certainly not Marte, who stands to regress pretty heavily in 2022.

As some else said, it's dumb that they wouldn't go to 6 years for Springer at age 25 but are willing to dole out a 4 year deal to a 33 year old Marte. And they're letting Baez as well, which also seems dumb. Overrated as he may be, he's a better investment that Marte.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Did someone just call someone else stupid while saying Duvall is better than Canha?

I don’t know enough about the Mets roster to judge how these moves fit, but these 3 contracts have all been very close to the MLBTR predicted amounts. So it’s pretty hard to claim they were bad signings.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-27-2021 at 11:17 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’d rather have Reynolds
    I’d rather have Reynolds as well, but I wouldn’t be mad at Mullins.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I’d rather have Reynolds as well, but I wouldn’t be mad at Mullins.
    I don't think we will have to worry about either of them. I don't see us matching up at all.

What I find a little odd is that the sporting press is all about the Pirates possibly trading Reynolds and how it makes sense and then turn around and say the Orioles would be nuts to trade Mullins. I don't have any inside dope, but from the 30,000 foot level I think the Pirates are a lot closer to contending given their prospects and their division than the Orioles are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Did someone just call someone else stupid while saying Duvall is better than Canha?

I don’t know enough about the Mets roster to judge how these moves fit, but these 3 contracts have all been very close to the MLBTR predicted amounts. So it’s pretty hard to claim they were bad signings.
    Duvall and canha basically have the same xwoba (your stat) and fWAR this past season. So, not sure anyone claim one is better than the other