Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 4658

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just looked into it. He's out until the middle of the season at the earliest due to a torn flexor tendon. He looks busted.
    That's why I mentioned him as a candidate for a Yates-Type deal earlier - $2-$3 million for 2022 with a team option for 2023 at around $8 million. Could be a nice depth-piece during the second half, and a solid #4 next season, and would provide the flexibility to use one or both of Davidson or Muller in a deal for Olson or a CF.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-30-2021), thethe (11-30-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He helped us hold it together for a while, but that trade stings some now
    Not sure it "stings" at all.

Wilson has the same straight fastball, and the organization apparently believes in keeping EVERY marginal SP as a starter until their control is almost exhausted or they're out of options (see Touki and Newk). As UNCBlue pointed out, Rodriguez helped keep the pen afloat for a short period - at the end of the day, that stretch was probably as valuable as anything Bryse would have contributed if he would have been kept.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Bryant in LF please.
    Not just no - *uck no.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if there's something more than simply performance here. He did alright until the last couple of weeks of the season, but he wasn't on any of the post-season rosters and didn't take part in the celebration. Something just doesn't fit right.
    It took all of 30 seconds to search on statcast and see RiRod was benefiting from illegal sticky substances. Someone on the Braves should have known this, and a pitcher of real value should not have been given up.

I said as much when the trade went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well, let’s see….

xwOBA before July 1: .252
    xwOBA after July 1: .353

FA spin rate before July 1: 2565
    FA spin rate before July 1: 2354

He is a textbook example of a guy who lost 200 rpm on the fastball after the ban, and his results immediately suffered. He is not the guy I would have targeted if I were in charge.

For some reason they decided to spend extra prospect capital on a guy who very clearly lost effectiveness without sticky stuff, and they did it in part because he has extra team control. That team control will likely end up being worthless if his spin rates don’t recover, and somebody in the FO should have known this since it took me 3 minutes to look up on my phone as I sit on my couch.
    It was an inexcusably bad trade, and someone in the FO needs to have their seat at the table revoked over it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if there's something more than simply performance here. He did alright until the last couple of weeks of the season, but he wasn't on any of the post-season rosters and didn't take part in the celebration. Something just doesn't fit right.
    Think he may be an example of how much the front office has become so much more analytically-inclined - even if Snitker won't convert. His peripherals were BAD.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Rodriguez' spot cleared for O'Day, and De La Cruz dropped now so that they don't have to clear a spot when Yates is ready Maybe?

Thought Jasseel could turn into an interesting pen option if they'd ever convert him, but they're still the Braves - you're a SP until we have to DFA you. Can probably get him back on a minor league contract, so it's not much of a big deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Cutting RiRod was a complete no-brainer, and I’m actually quite shocked he was acquired at all.

Someone didn’t do their job, or someone was listened to that had no business giving input on player valuation. It was such an obviously bad move at the time it’s hard to fathom why it was allowed to happen. Whoever pounded the table for that trade needs to be muzzled moving forward.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Rodriguez in the regular season for braves...
    26 games
    25.1 ip
    5 bb
    2.49 era

Now the era was sheer luck bc the FIP was 6.25. Regardless, I think even though it was luck driven, he really helped us win the division.

He was too expensive, and again, lucky.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (12-01-2021), jpx7 (12-01-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    BREAKING: Star shortstop Corey Seager and the Texas Rangers are in agreement on a 10-year, $325 million deal, sources familiar with the situation tell ESPN.
    The dude hasn't played 140+ games in the last 4 years. So of course, the Rangers throw 300 million at him, lol. That contract is gonna be really, really bad. Worse than Tulo's.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Just when you thought the Tigers are starting to make good decisions, they do this.
    I actually think Baez at this price is a way safer bet than Seagar at 300 million.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2021), UNCBlue012 (12-01-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Did anyone see the story about MLB using two different balls this season, and none of the players or executives knew about it?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-01-2021), jpx7 (12-01-2021), Tapate50 (12-01-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet we sign Camargo to a minor league deal. Don't really see anyone giving him a guaranteed deal.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Did anyone see the story about MLB using two different balls this season, and none of the players or executives knew about it?
    Not surprising after the playoff shenanigans against the Cards

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    It took all of 30 seconds to search on statcast and see RiRod was benefiting from illegal sticky substances. Someone on the Braves should have known this, and a pitcher of real value should not have been given up.

I said as much when the trade went down.

It was an inexcusably bad trade, and someone in the FO needs to have their seat at the table revoked over it.
    It wasn't really. Wilson sucks. They needed a reliever. Not being dominant is different from completely ineffective. Very reasonable flyer.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-01-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Cutting RiRod was a complete no-brainer, and I’m actually quite shocked he was acquired at all.

Someone didn’t do their job, or someone was listened to that had no business giving input on player valuation. It was such an obviously bad move at the time it’s hard to fathom why it was allowed to happen. Whoever pounded the table for that trade needs to be muzzled moving forward.
    I read somewhere after the Smyly signing that the Braves go through spin rates and the like religiously on guys and that plays a major role in their decision-making. They signed Smyly based on a 26 IP uptick in 2020. There was a larger sample size on Rodriguez, but they likely fell in love with something they saw (spin rate most likely) without digging deeper on the Spider Tack issue. I'm not exactly a Bryse Wilson fan and I always thought the Braves rushed him through the minors, but you're right in that we gave up someone who could develop into a back-end rotation/piggy-back level guy for what turned out to be next-to-nothing. I was agnostic on the deal, but the fact that Rodriguez' fastball sits in the low-90s and he doesn't possess any real counterpunch pitch made me a skeptic.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-01-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It wasn't really. Wilson sucks. They needed a reliever. Not being dominant is different from completely ineffective. Very reasonable flyer.
    Last season was Wilson's final option year - if he were still here he would just be in the way and would have had to be released anyway. The Pirates are going to have to keep him on their MLB roster unless they choose to let him go.

Wound up being a swap of guys likely to be released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d rather have Baez at his deal than Seager at his. No way I’d give Seager 10/325. That’s ridiculous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Last season was Wilson's final option year - if he were still here he would just be in the way and would have had to be released anyway. The Pirates are going to have to keep him on their MLB roster unless they choose to let him go.

Wound up being a swap of guys likely to be released.
    Didn't realize this. Good point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Yikes... I didn't realize that was Kirby Yates' second tommy john surgery

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    While Freeman not being signed before the lockout isn't something to panic over, I do think it's a bad sign for those who wanted him to stay. If both sides wanted him here as badly as they kept saying publicly, they'd have settled on something reasonable before now.

From a purely comfort standpoint it would seem that Freddie would have wanted to have this mess settled and off his plate before the holidays, and with well over $100 million already banked it would make sense to give up a little bit of cash to make things easier for Alex to manage to keep the team competitive for the next several years. That's not to say trying to get his market value as a reward for what he's meant to the franchise is something fans should hold against him, it's simply an observation from afar - there are obviously other factors involved, and it would be perfectly reasonable for him to still be upset that they didn't offer him a Goldschmidt-type deal when they had the chance knowing he'd accept the minute it was on the table.

From an organizational standpoint, this break in signings gives Alex not only the time to quietly plant the stories needed to make it look like Freddie was being greedy and holding a gun to their head while talking to the Yankees/Red Sox/Blue Jays/Dodgers to help with fan sentiment, it also gives him the time to put a potential Olson deal together that can be agreed to the minute the transaction ban is lifted - he can't talk to free-agents during the lockout, but there's nothing preventing GMs from working out deals to be announced at that point. This timeout makes it more likely that he's able to remove that much more emotion from the equation without the time crunch of his other options coming off the board. As many here have previously explained, it's not that hard to see that spreading that money between multiple other players gives potentially gives you a better chance to extend the team's competitive window through the end of the Acuna/Albies control. I realize many of those people aren't in favor of extensions for some of these guys, but if you traded for Olson and signed him to a 5 year/$125 million deal starting now ($113 million new dollars) and could sign Fried to the 5 year/$85 million deal McCullers got from the Astros ($78 million new dollars) you'd have spent roughly the same amount of money you'd have given Freeman but you'd control Acuna, Albies, Olson, Langeliers or Contreras, Pache or Waters, Harris, Shewmake or Grissom, Fried, Davidson or Muller, Strider/Tarnok/Elder/Woods/Vodnik/Estes/Cusick/Schwellenbach through 2026 and Riley and Anderson through 2025. If The Battery continues to be successful - and payroll continues to increase (as we've been led to believe it will) - there's no reason to expect this window will close before Ronald and Ozzie's deals expire. The core would be in place and you'd only need to supplement it with guys on short-term deals. It would be just as hard for anyone to fault AA for doing that as it would be for them to be upset with Freddie for asking for what he's worth.

A terrible position to be in coming off winning it all, but the fact that they haven't been able to settle this by now definitely makes it seem more likely Freeman finishes his career somewhere else IMO.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-01-2021 at 09:08 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (12-01-2021)