Page 108 of 233 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 4658

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Even at 49 I suspect he could still post a league average OPS. But yeah....Brian McCann could likely outrun him now.
    I had to outrun your mom last night.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Even at 49 I suspect he could still post a league average OPS. But yeah....Brian McCann could likely outrun him now.
    I bet Julio Franco could still rake lefties.
    Get off my lawn!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-03-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Bitch please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Joe Don
    12:28 What kind of package will it take to pry Olson from the As?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:29 From the sounds of things, it's gonna take a huge haul. Olson's awesome, so that makes sense. The one rumor I have is a 50 FV, a second who arguably is, and a third mid-level guy

For those wondering how that maps to the Braves...

Cristian Pache 55
    Shea Langeliers 50
    Drew Waters 45+
    Michael Harris II 45+

Those 4 plus maybe Contreras, Touki and Wright fit into the "50 FV or arguably is" group of players.

I would hate to see Lango traded, but pick 2 of those 7 guys, then add in some other 40 FV filler, and that's the likely cost of Olson.

At this point I don't want to trade Pache, Lango, Harris, Touki or Wright, so a deal centered around Waters and Contreras would be pretty OK with me.

Which why for me, it just makes more sense to pay Freeman. Do we really need to gut the whole top of our farm system, when we can simply just overpay for the face of our franchise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Which why for me, it just makes more sense to pay Freeman. Do we really need to gut the whole top of our farm system, when we can simply just overpay for the face of our franchise?
    And use the prospects to upgrade CF with a big LH bat.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Joe Don
    12:28 What kind of package will it take to pry Olson from the As?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:29 From the sounds of things, it's gonna take a huge haul. Olson's awesome, so that makes sense. The one rumor I have is a 50 FV, a second who arguably is, and a third mid-level guy

For those wondering how that maps to the Braves...

Cristian Pache 55
    Shea Langeliers 50
    Drew Waters 45+
    Michael Harris II 45+

Those 4 plus maybe Contreras, Touki and Wright fit into the "50 FV or arguably is" group of players.

I would hate to see Lango traded, but pick 2 of those 7 guys, then add in some other 40 FV filler, and that's the likely cost of Olson.

At this point I don't want to trade Pache, Lango, Harris, Touki or Wright, so a deal centered around Waters and Contreras would be pretty OK with me.
    Beat me to it...was just catching up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd rather just pay, even overpay FF than make that kinda offer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Forced

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-03-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    If Waters, Contreras, and Vodnik would be considered "gutting the whole top of our farm system", you're much higher on those guys than most. As things stand today, none of those guys have a clear avenue to playing time on the big league club in the next 3 years, and there's a legitimate chance all 3 could be repeating time in Gwinnett at the start of 2023.

On top of that, while their teams are rightfully asking for an absolute haul for Reynolds/Mullins/Marte, none of those three would likely be part of a deal for a CF - they'd want Pache or Harris over Waters, Langeliers over Contreras, and Ynoa/Wright/Davidson/Muller/Strider over Vodnik. A Pache/Langeliers/one of those arms/package shouldn't be enough to land Reynolds or Mullins, but it might be enough to get you Marte. The Marlins are supposedly sniffing around on him, but they couldn't beat that offer if Alex put it on the table. It's fair to argue that they'd be able to give up a better Pitcher but they have nothing like Langeliers to offer, and the only way they would better Pache is if they included Bleday - which ain't happening.

Trying to make TWO trades would gut the system, but if a Waters/Contreras/Vodnik package would net you Olson I probably wouldn't bat an eye. If the unthinkable then happened and Pache/Langeliers/Wright/Harris and filler somehow brought back Reynolds or Mullins because Pittsburgh or Baltimore just felt like they couldn't give up the opportunity to load their systems with that type of a quantity deal because they didn't get the king's ransom they're asking for, I'd imagine you'd have to think about unloading them all - by the time Olson becomes a free-agent Grissom should be ready, and you could probably sign Riley to a reasonable extension and shift him to 1B at that point if Olson didn't want your money.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'd rather just pay, even overpay FF than make that kinda offer.
    Maybe we can offer him 8 years 200 millions/25 per year.

Matt Olson is a free agent after 2 years and I don’t want another Mark Teixeira trade.

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post

Matt Olson is a free agent after 2 years and I don’t want another Mark Teixeira trade.
    Yeah that turned out really bad for us. We lost a lot of superstars
    Kelly Johnson is Utley-lite

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheffield10 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Forced
    I forced your mom last night.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post

The AAV isn't the issue - $30 million per year isn't the problem. The reason he hasn't been signed already is that they don't want to have to be paying him 6 years from now when he's 38 years old.

Your solution is to pay him until he's 40? Wow.

If he'd accept 5 years and $150 million he would have already re-signed. His reps think flirting with the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox is going to get him that 6th year, and it very well might - it just might be in New York, Los Angeles, or Boston.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The AAV isn't the issue - $30 million per year isn't the problem. The reason he hasn't been signed already is that they don't want to have to be paying him 6 years from now when he's 38 years old.

Your solution is to pay him until he's 40? Wow.

If he'd accept 5 years and $150 million he would have already re-signed. His reps think flirting with the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox is going to get him that 6th year, and it very well might - it just might be in New York, Los Angeles, or Boston.
    I think Solid is saying offer Olson, 8/200. He'd be 35 when at the end of that deal, since Olson is only 27 now. AA screwed the pooch on the Freeman deal, he could have probably had him at 5 years, 140 million or so before the season. Now he probably has no choice but to go to 6 years or see him elsewhere.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-04-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Which player would be easier to trade for, Reynolds or Olson?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I think Solid is saying offer Olson, 8/200. He'd be 35 when at the end of that deal, since Olson is only 27 now. AA screwed the pooch on the Freeman deal, he could have probably had him at 5 years, 140 million or so before the season. Now he probably has no choice but to go to 6 years or see him elsewhere.
    I'm not 100% sure that's the case - but if it is, so be it. The hope - at least on Alex' end - is that this little pause in the process gives Freddie time to slow down and really think things through, and maybe even get a bit of advice from his ol' pal Chipper. Chipper (or someone else) makes him understand that IF the DH is in place after all this shakes out there's almost no chance they wouldn't go year to year with him when he's 37/38 years old if he still has anything left and still wants to play - he'd be the next Nelly Cruz. If he's still capable of hitting .290 with 25 bombs five years from now, I feel sure that they'd be happy to give him $15-$20 million on one year deals as long as he wants to hang around. Freddie has to understand his "hometown discount" has to come in the form of years, not dollars. The revenues are there to meet his AAV requirement, and if his representatives can't see the reason a mid-market team can't afford to be locked into $30 million for a 38 year old 1B, he needs new agents...

Age 38 seasons for HOF 1Bs:
    Pujols - 117 games, .245/.289/.411, 19 HRs, 88 wRC+, -0.3 fWAR
    Cabrera - 130 games, .256/.316/.386, 15 HRs, 92 wRC+, -0.7 fWAR

That's just ugly. If Freddie ages like Cruz and is still hitting 5 years from now, it would be a no-brainer to throw some money at him to hang around, but we can't know that today. Miggy's nosedive started when he was 34, Pujols' was at 35. At 5/$150 million you're already gambling that he lasts 2 years longer than either of them did.

Enscheff pointed out the best middle-ground for both sides a while back (the numbers may have been different, but the structure would be the way to go) - 3 years/$100 million with 3 one-year team options at $30 million would give him guaranteed money through the same age Pujols fell off a cliff, allow him to finish here, protect the team in case he gets hurt or drastically declines, AND satisfies the Union because they get another $30 million/year player who also took the highest bid (if NY/LA/Boston are at 6 years/$180 million, the total dollars he COULD make if he makes it to the end of the deal is higher in Atlanta).

Unfortunately there's almost no chance of making that deal.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-04-2021 at 09:25 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Olson - and it's not particularly close. Check Enscheff's earlier post with the FanGraphs info on Olson.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I saw scheffs info but what stuck out to me on Olson package was lack of pitching going to Oakland. At the same time it was rumored that AA made an offer for Reynolds that fell a bit short then he got Rodriguez for 2 ho hums.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Olson depends how much is going Oakland's way. I dont wanna move Lango. I'd do something like Pache, Contreras, a pitching piece and something else but that may not be enough. Also depends if we can extend Olson, he's from Georgia.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield10 View Post
    Yeah that turned out really bad for us. We lost a lot of superstars
    And Tex didn't make a difference for us.

It doesn't matter what any of those players did. The value of what we traded away was astronomical at the time. Certainly that value could have been better spent on a more controllable player and position of actual need, namely starting pitching. That package would have easily netted us Dan Haren in the off-season and we'd have been in significantly better shape long term.