Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: GDT 10/12/21: Braves vs Brewers - NLDS Game 4

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Because Ben's great. At least I think so.

My preference would be to move either Ben or Jim to television and let Chip enter free agency. And while a certain amount of rotation in color and studio commentary is fine, Bally does it so much it's impossible to get into any kind of rhythm.
    Chip is definitely the weak link in the bunch. I think Francoeur even does a pretty good job...much better than I expected. Such a move would definitely make the TV broadcasts more entertaining.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Chip is definitely the weak link in the bunch. I think Francoeur even does a pretty good job...much better than I expected. Such a move would definitely make the TV broadcasts more entertaining.
    Francouer working with Orsillo on TBS games shows he’s actually pretty good when not around Chip.
    Forever Fredi

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2021), Metaphysicist (10-13-2021), Runnin (10-14-2021)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Or when not forced/told to be a homer.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    I think Frenchy's pretty good, too. I was really surprised at how smart he seems to be...because he sure didn't play smart. He seems to know about the strike zone and OBP and everything. Should have capitalized on that when he was playing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I think Frenchy's pretty good, too. I was really surprised at how smart he seems to be...because he sure didn't play smart. He seems to know about the strike zone and OBP and everything. Should have capitalized on that when he was playing.
    If "playing smart" was that easy then everyone would do it. Frenchy had pitch recognition issues. No matter the physical gifts if that's a problem for you then it's going to be hard to overcome on a consistent basis.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2021)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I re-watched the bottoms of the 4th, 5th and 8th. What a resilient hitting performance. 4 runs scored with 2 outs, 3 runs scored with 2 strikes. These guys decided not to be killed with 2-strike counts. The two barely HBP's also helped move the line.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-14-2021), jpx7 (10-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Scoreboards are a lot bigger and more detailed now

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-14-2021), jpx7 (10-13-2021), Metaphysicist (10-13-2021), Tapate50 (10-13-2021), TURBO (10-13-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Baseball as a whole was a lot dumber back then. I don’t fault him at all for only knowing what he was taught.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand getting on base and making less outs is a good thing.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

goldfly (10-14-2021), jpx7 (10-14-2021)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    That game was amazing to be at

was a great birthday lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

CJC (10-14-2021), jpx7 (10-16-2021), The Chosen One (10-14-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand getting on base and making less outs is a good thing.
    Considering that’s the basis of the first wave of baseball analytics, which didn’t happen until like 200 years after the sport was invented, I’d say it takes a good bit of brainpower to reach that conclusion.

If Frenchy was told his entire baseball life that he was supposed to drive in runs, that’s all I would expect him to know. He was probably in his early 20s when he made that comment…just a kid regurgitating whatever his coaches told him the last 10 years.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Considering that’s the basis of the first wave of baseball analytics, which didn’t happen until like 200 years after the sport was invented, I’d say it takes a good bit of brainpower to reach that conclusion.

If Frenchy was told his entire baseball life that he was supposed to drive in runs, that’s all I would expect him to know. He was probably in his early 20s when he made that comment…just a kid regurgitating whatever his coaches told him the last 10 years.
    Unless your Branch Rickey and figured this out in the 50's. What a guy he was.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Francouer working with Orsillo on TBS games shows he’s actually pretty good when not around Chip.
    Chip is objectively not a good announcer but I feel a lot of good will towards him.

He’s a total baseball dweeb and he often repeats the same thing game to game (not to mention every fly out “just missed”). But he has a very positive personality and that’s pleasant to listen to after a long day at work.

Frenchy is legit good though. He’s much better than Smoltz. Smoltz gets worse year after year. Total crank.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Many if not most of us grew up playing baseball in an age where we were taught "Walks are bad. Swing the bat" from the time we started facing live pitching. It's not surprising that those generations had a hard time figuring out that getting on base by any means necessary was the most important aspect of offense.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-14-2021), jpx7 (10-16-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Chip is objectively not a good announcer but I feel a lot of good will towards him.

He’s a total baseball dweeb and he often repeats the same thing game to game (not to mention every fly out “just missed”). But he has a very positive personality and that’s pleasant to listen to after a long day at work.

Frenchy is legit good though. He’s much better than Smoltz. Smoltz gets worse year after year. Total crank.
    Smoltz was actually decent again when he was paired with Matt V. for the Rays-Red Sox series. Maybe Joe Buck brings out the worst in him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Every fly out just missed and every swing is a "good cut."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Many if not most of us grew up playing baseball in an age where we were taught "Walks are bad. Swing the bat" from the time we started facing live pitching. It's not surprising that those generations had a hard time figuring out that getting on base by any means necessary was the most important aspect of offense.
    The center of that debate for a long time was Boggs.