Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: GDT 10/17/21: Braves vs Dodgers - NLCS Game 2

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Cant really argue with him there, bringing in Urias made no sense. Treinen only threw 9 pitches and could have easily went a 2nd inning. If not him, just go to Jansen for 6 outs. Or Knebel. Made no sense to go to Urias and now who knows how that hurts them in Game 4 with Urias scheduled to go.
    I saw that as a "look at how big my balls are" move. They had another LHP who had pitched well the night before to bring in if they so wanted. For a team so analytically driven, it just seemed like the collective Dodger brain had moved to the lower spinal column. After Albies' hit, I couldn't believe they didn't bring in an RHP to pitch to Riley.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-18-2021), Metaphysicist (10-18-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    I question whether Joc or Duvall would uphold the mutual end of their options. Duvall has to be looking for a bigger contract. Pederson likely wants to play more than he could in Atlanta so he can rebuild his value.
    As you say, both mutual options. I have to believe--but could easily be wrong--that Duvall is angling for at least two years of guaranteed money with no options attached. I would think Pederson would gladly jump at $10 MM, but I can't see the Braves doing that. I really like Pederson and I think he realizes that "he is who he is" at this point in his career so he's probably not banking on a big payday. I just wonder if the Braves see him as worth $10 MM.

Rosario and Soler are free agents who won't get a qualifying offer. DH likely coming to the NL really changes the market for Soler to his advantage.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    One last thought. I don't know if Paw Paw and other old-timers would agree with me. Rosario really tattooed the ball he hit at Seager for the winner, but in the 1960s, that would have been ruled an error.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    One last thought. I don't know if Paw Paw and other old-timers would agree with me. Rosario really tattooed the ball he hit at Seager for the winner, but in the 1960s, that would have been ruled an error.
    It woulda been an out to Swanson

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Pederson has never been an everyday player. Not for the Dodgers nor the Cubs. So the question is: Does AA give a total of $7.5M t a bench player.
    Duval is 33 (?) so does he take $7M to stay "home" or does he try and cash in on maybe something like 3/20-25 with a bottom feeder needing a DH?
    Now we come to Soler and Rosario. IMO individually not an ideal fix to much but as a pair/platoon DH/LF looks pretty good in my book. Just how much do you think they would cost AA?

And Im aware that Ozuna is hiding in the weeds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Yep. Home town score keeper IMO. Tho he may have his money bet on the Dodgers and wanted to not hurt Seager's feelings.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Also in the 1960's that's a hit up the middle with a play at the plate. Seager getting some leather on it really helped the Braves out there.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-18-2021), DirkPiggler (10-18-2021), Jaw (10-18-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Players like Rosario, Joc and Duvall are available every deadline, so there's no need to pay a premium for them. They are average-ish MLB OFers, and while that was certainly a big step up from guys like Almonte, they aren't guys to plan an offseason around.

Soler is unquestionably the impact bat who should be brought back. Fill in the OF around Acuna, Soler and possibly Ozuna at DH accordingly.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Players like Rosario, Joc and Duvall are available every deadline, so there's no need to pay a premium for them. They are average-ish MLB OFers, and while that was certainly a big step up from guys like Almonte, they aren't guys to plan an offseason around.

Soler is unquestionably the impact bat who should be brought back. Fill in the OF around Acuna, Soler and possibly Ozuna at DH accordingly.
    Alot will depend on the Ozuna situation, hope MLB gives an update on that before free agency so AA has an idea on what to do there. Agree we need to keep Soler though. But if you could get one of Joc/Rosario back for a reasonable deal, thats something Atlanta should consider doing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-18-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Also in the 1960's that's a hit up the middle with a play at the plate. Seager getting some leather on it really helped the Braves out there.
    Agreed. Minimal shifting except for the very rare player (Ted Williams for instance) in the Dark Ages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Not nitpicking but you do recall that Soler has been on the Braves radar for some time and just last winter many of the posters here were begging for Rosario. Plus, if clv swings any weight with you he was crying for Duvall to be resigned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Agreed. Minimal shifting except for the very rare player (Ted Williams for instance) in the Dark Ages.
    Did you ever get to see Ted Williams live? Everytime I see his name mentioned my childhood reappears.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Did you ever get to see Ted Williams live? Everytime I see his name mentioned my childhood reappears.
    Only on highlights. I just remember in Williams' The Science of Hitting he wrote about how opponents shifted for him and it didn't change his approach. Great book.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-18-2021 at 05:50 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Not nitpicking but you do recall that Soler has been on the Braves radar for some time and just last winter many of the posters here were begging for Rosario. Plus, if clv swings any weight with you he was crying for Duvall to be resigned.
    Yeah, I didn’t mean to state these players are not useful pieces. What I mean is there are several players that can fill the same role, so these decisions should be made after the heavy lifting is done.

For now they need an impact RHP in the BP, and someone to join Acuna and Freeman at the top of the order (I assume Freeman will be resigned). That someone could very well be Soler, and he should be a priority over the other fill in guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Urias has absolutely owned the braves. It didn't work out, but I don't think it was crazy
    Yup. We never hit Urias. And while Urias hasn't pitched out of the pen this year, he's gotta be pretty used to it after years of doing it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts

Soler is really bad defensively. Not sure why you're so high on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Soler is really bad defensively. Not sure why you're so high on him.
    You can’t be serious. He is by far the best hitter of the bunch, and would probably DH next year.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    You can’t be serious. He is by far the best hitter of the bunch, and would probably DH next year.
    Is he a worse fielder than Ozuna?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Is he a worse fielder than Ozuna?
    Ozuna actually rated well this year before he went down, believe it or not.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Ozuna actually rated well this year before he went down, believe it or not.
    Ozuna's arm is the bigger issue (unless he's added about 40 pounds during his respite).