Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: GDT 10/17/21: Braves vs Dodgers - NLCS Game 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Better defense for sure but he's not much of a bat at this point in his career.
    No good offensive option, so roll with D

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-19-2021)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I’m not sure who we’ll end up bringing back, but Freeman and Ozzie are our only 2 projected lefties next year.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Soler got paid a shade over $8 MM in 2021 and I can see him getting a little more than that. Rosario also came in around $8 MM and that's probably a reasonable ceiling for him. Both these guys are hovering around 30 and were in the midst of lousy seasons (like you say) before they came to Atlanta, which should pump the brakes on their market. That said, I never underestimate the stupidity of some front offices.

I should have been more clear in my original post. With the mutual options, I think Duvall will opt out in an attempt to get a solid multi-year deal somewhere and the Braves won't pick up Pederson at $10 MM. I'm not advocating either way on any of the four.
    Apparently even if Duval opts out of the mutual option, the Braves still have an arbitration year left on him. So he can only hit FA if the Braves don't want him back. With the uncertainty of the top OF prospects, Acuna's knee recovery and Ozuna's legal problems, the Braves would seem destined to keep him. Trade Rumors say Duval is projected to make $9 million in arbitration. That's a lot for a 4th outfielder, but not for a starting CF that can give you some pop. I wonder if the Braves would consider giving him a 1 year extension if he opts in to the mutual option.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    Apparently even if Duval opts out of the mutual option, the Braves still have an arbitration year left on him. So he can only hit FA if the Braves don't want him back. With the uncertainty of the top OF prospects, Acuna's knee recovery and Ozuna's legal problems, the Braves would seem destined to keep him. Trade Rumors say Duval is projected to make $9 million in arbitration. That's a lot for a 4th outfielder, but not for a starting CF that can give you some pop. I wonder if the Braves would consider giving him a 1 year extension if he opts in to the mutual option.
    I don't know how that would work vis-a-vis arbitration regarding the opt-out if initiated by Duvall. If it is as you say, I can only imagine that Duvall will force arbitration. I think there will be negotiations in any instance because it's pretty clear Snitker loves the guy. You may be the only guy here who sees Duvall as a season-long CF.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-19-2021 at 02:23 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I don't know how that would work vis-a-vis arbitration regarding the opt-out if initiated by Duvall. If it is as you say, I can only imagine that Duvall will force arbitration. I think there will be negotiations in any instance because it's pretty clear Snitker loves the guy. You may be the only guy here who sees Duvall as a season-long CF.
    Braves had surprisingly little impact from its patchwork outfield defense so far. Feels like that might still cost them a game somewhere. Rosario blew a play during the chase, but that's about it. Heredia probably didn't ultimately cost the team anything with that weird approach but he's supposed to be good.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Duvall did grade out positively in CF this year in a limited sample. He's historically been a plus plus guy in the corners and played that way this year when he was in left and right.

At 7 million (assuming both agree to that option) would it be worth going with Duvall in CF full time? A low obp, slugging, average to good defender in center wouldn't be the worst idea.

Hard to speculate on Ozuna. But Ozuna/an OFer for one year with Ozuna's salary in LF, Duvall in CF, Acuna in RF and maybe Soler back as the DH if that ends up happening. Should get some production out of that.

But it's hard to really say what going on with the OF. Just too many variables right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Duvall did grade out positively in CF this year in a limited sample. He's historically been a plus plus guy in the corners and played that way this year when he was in left and right.

At 7 million (assuming both agree to that option) would it be worth going with Duvall in CF full time? A low obp, slugging, average to good defender in center wouldn't be the worst idea.

Hard to speculate on Ozuna. But Ozuna/an OFer for one year with Ozuna's salary in LF, Duvall in CF, Acuna in RF and maybe Soler back as the DH if that ends up happening. Should get some production out of that.

But it's hard to really say what going on with the OF. Just too many variables right now.
    If we'll play Duvall in cf, why not Acuna?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Okay. Ozuna won’t be on the team, and assuming he’s going to be out of shape is ridiculous.
    We don't know when Ozuna will be reinstated. Based on the DA's decision to reduce the charges and pretty weak plea deal, I would assume he will play some point, but that could be depending on the new CBA.

I also don't know why you'd assume he is by far the best hitter of the bunch. Duvy has been better then him each of the last 2 seasons offensively and has a stronger career numbers as well. Soler has was good for 1.5 seasons in 2018 and 2019. I wouldn't let his brief stint with us lead you to believe that it's closer to his actual level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We don't know when Ozuna will be reinstated. Based on the DA's decision to reduce the charges and pretty weak plea deal, I would assume he will play some point, but that could be depending on the new CBA.

I also don't know why you'd assume he is by far the best hitter of the bunch. Duvy has been better then him each of the last 2 seasons offensively and has a stronger career numbers as well. Soler has was good for 1.5 seasons in 2018 and 2019. I wouldn't let his brief stint with us lead you to believe that it's closer to his actual level.
    Duvall hasn’t had a season even close to Soler’s 2019, or his 2021 stint with the Braves. You can throw 2020 out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Duvall hasn’t had a season even close to Soler’s 2019, or his 2021 stint with the Braves. You can throw 2020 out.
    That's 1 season though. And it appears to be the outlier. I'm not going to argue that he's likely a better hitter than Duvy. I think he is. But I also don't think it's nearly as massive of a gap as you pretend it is. And Duvy is the far superior overall player.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we'll play Duvall in cf, why not Acuna?
    He's just coming of an ACL injury...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Shouldn't be comparing Soler and Duvall.

Duvall is a candidate for CF next year.

Soler is a candidate for DH if the NL gets it.

Even with the hitting difference both were 1 fWAR players with the Braves in 55 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Shouldn't be comparing Soler and Duvall.

Duvall is a candidate for CF next year.

Soler is a candidate for DH if the NL gets it.

Even with the hitting difference both were 1 fWAR players with the Braves in 55 games.
    I have doubts Duvall can hold up as a CF full-time over 162. His bat would suffer, and I think that already may be happening. And his bat can’t suffer much before it’s below average. Soler is a better bet to be to be an impact bat. Duvall is what he is.

But I don’t know why we are arguing the two anyway. I’m not the one who brought Duvall up. I want Soler back as DH and a platoon of Rosario or Pederson and Duvall in LF.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I have doubts Duvall can hold up as a CF full-time over 162. His bat would suffer, and I think that already may be happening. And his bat can’t suffer much before it’s below average. Soler is a better bet to be to be an impact bat. Duvall is what he is.

But I don’t know why we are arguing the two anyway. I’m not the one who brought Duvall up. I want Soler back as DH and a platoon of Rosario or Pederson and Duvall in LF.
    That's a fair question if he can hold up. If you do go back to a platoon with Duvall in LF then what do we do about center? Try Pache again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    That's a fair question if he can hold up. If you do go back to a platoon with Duvall in LF then what do we do about center? Try Pache again?
    Or acquire one of the guys we tried to get at the deadline. Buxton/Reynolds.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Or acquire one of the guys we tried to get at the deadline. Buxton/Reynolds.
    I don't want Buxton, he's made of glass. Now Reynolds...

Pittsburgh is like a chick with low self esteem that keeps dating losers and wondering why her life never gets any better. I say we capitalize.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

We may be going back to the days of my youth when some teams had the equivalent of three lumberjacks in the OF with a late-inning defense-centric caddy brought in late usually to play CF with the starting CF moving to one of the corners. That might be a way to get Pache's feet underneath him as a big league player. Duvall's a funny player. Doesn't look athletic, but obviously is.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I don't want Buxton, he's made of glass. Now Reynolds...

Pittsburgh is like a chick with low self esteem that keeps dating losers and wondering why her life never gets any better. I say we capitalize.
    I would agree pre-Cherington. Now, not so much.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    We may be going back to the days of my youth when some teams had the equivalent of three lumberjacks in the OF with a late-inning defense-centric caddy brought in late usually to play CF with the starting CF moving to one of the corners. That might be a way to get Pache's feet underneath him as a big league player. Duvall's a funny player. Doesn't look athletic, but obviously is.
    He looks like a pudgy white boy. But he's one of the fastest guys on the team and obviously has light tower power.