Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Long Is Our Contention Window Set To Remain Open?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Absolutely, it’s always been the most eyebrow raising move of the AA era from an objective perspective (Ozuna of course overtakes this with the benefit of hindsight).

My point is that this all-time elite postseason basically validates everything Will has or will do. He could be so bad next year that we cut him in June and Braves fans will still view him in a unanimously positive way. That’s truly amazing when you consider is approval rating in September was easily the lowest on the team.
    Biden needs to go to west Philadelphia to get some approval rating lessons from Will.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think the team is in good shape through 2024. After that I expect a quick decline to being a basement dweller. The bad drafting hasnt caught up to us yet. It will, although I am sure people will blame everything but the lack of quality prospects from bad drafts. We are already at the "our farm sucks so we need college players" stage of decline where we fail to realize that is the reason the farm sucks in the first place. I call it Royals disease.
    A lot can happen year to year with a farm system. I actually think our farm system is in pretty darn good shape considering the international signings thing and a couple underwhelming drafts. If you had asked me in 2019 where I thought the farm would be at this point, I probably would have said near dead last. But we still have several intriguing prospects down there who could contribute at some point.

And I think it has a chance to improve in the next couple of years, given that we're more freed up to do stuff in J2.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Could always trade for the final season of Kimbrel. That feels like a very Anthopoulos move.
    I had that thought when I read he might be on the block.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (11-05-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Nothing against TDA but catcher is a position we need to shore up if we're going to stay in contention for any length of time IMO. I know he had a couple of big hits but I'm not sure how you can be a complete team when your catcher can't throw anyone out on the base paths.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to USMA76 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    Nothing against TDA but catcher is a position we need to shore up if we're going to stay in contention for any length of time IMO. I know he had a couple of big hits but I'm not sure how you can be a complete team when your catcher can't throw anyone out on the base paths.
    Enter Langliers...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-12-2021), jpx7 (11-12-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    Shea should be ready by 2023 at the latest if not the end of next season.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-12-2021), jpx7 (11-12-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think the team is in good shape through 2024. After that I expect a quick decline to being a basement dweller. The bad drafting hasnt caught up to us yet. It will, although I am sure people will blame everything but the lack of quality prospects from bad drafts. We are already at the "our farm sucks so we need college players" stage of decline where we fail to realize that is the reason the farm sucks in the first place. I call it Royals disease.
    The farm isnt elite but there's some guys down there. Michael Harris, Pache, Waters, Shea, Grissom, Strider, Cusick, Shewmake, Schuster, Elder, Vodnik, etc. Will also depend if AA can get guys like Riley, Fried, and Swanson to extensions. It's not Royals level bad after they won their WS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Certainly through the end of Acuna's current contract. 2028. His age 30 season, when his current contract calls for him to be paid $18 million.

Albies' contract goes through 2027, when he will be paid $7 million.

A lotta surplus value in those two deals.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

CK86 (11-07-2021), jpx7 (11-12-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The farm isnt elite but there's some guys down there. Michael Harris, Pache, Waters, Shea, Grissom, Strider, Cusick, Shewmake, Schuster, Elder, Vodnik, etc. Will also depend if AA can get guys like Riley, Fried, and Swanson to extensions. It's not Royals level bad after they won their WS.

Every team has some guys down there. I assumed Pache and Waters would have graduated by now so that helps keep them from being an absolute dumpster fire.

I haven't been watching closely as I used to so I cant speak to other teams farm systems but I would find it hard to believe we arent bottom 5 without Pache/Waters.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-12-2021)