Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Night I Was One of Those Mother ****ers

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I'm in your boat by being just a Braves fan. In fact, I've never been to Georgia in my life. How many do we have here like us who were made fans by TBS?
    A lot I'm sure. TBS was the best.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    I'm in your boat by being just a Braves fan. In fact, I've never been to Georgia in my life. How many do we have here like us who were made fans by TBS?
    I grew up a huge baseball fan in a state (Utah) with no baseball team and no local broadcast. The Braves on TBS was the highlight of my day.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I grew up a huge baseball fan in a state (Utah) with no baseball team and no local broadcast. The Braves on TBS was the highlight of my day.
    I am also a TBS Braves fan from Utah.

When Cable TV brought the Superstation to town, it was the first time someone who was not from a big city could follow a MLB team closely enough to got to know them and really care. I and, my extended family all became Braves fans, and 45 years later we still are.

We have made a couple of trips to Atlanta to watch them, and several trips to Denver when they were there to play the Rockies. Even my 85 year old parents almost never miss a game, and plan their day around it. My son broke down in tears when the game ended on Tuesday. Most of my six children were watching and having a tense text message conversation all during the game.
    Last edited by mfree80; 11-05-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    My first pro game was in 1970 at the Richmond Braves. They had a couple guys named Ralph Garr and Dusty Baker.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-07-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Present.

I became a Braves fan because my hick town cable company in south Arkansas chose to pick up WTCG 17 out of Atlanta instead of WGN from Chicago back in the late 1970s. Being the baseball dork I was at such a young age, along with being (at the time) an only child/grandchild, our vacations revolved around what the parents and grandparents thought would make me happiest. Thus, they got tickets to a couple of games through a drug addled cousin who had moved to Atlanta to start a music career, and off to Atlanta we went in my grandfather's '75 Buick land yacht. The date of the first game? 8/1/1978. Something kind of cool happened that night.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    My first pro game was in 1970 at the Richmond Braves. They had a couple guys named Ralph Garr and Dusty Baker.
    My first pro game was at a Richmond Braves game too. I was really little and apparently the person that made the biggest impact on me was Diamond Duck. I did get to see Chipper Javy and Klesko play in Richmond though.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    My first game was a Sunday game vs. the Montreal Expos in 1997.

will never forget it. We lost that game. But it was still great.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

mossy (11-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    My first game I got a ball signed by the whole Braves dugout and the Giants Dugout.

Charlie Liebrant gave up a first inning HR to the leadoff hitter and the game ended 1-0. I sat right behind home plate, and was hooked.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    First game was against the Dodgers in April of 1991 for my 6th birthday. The tickets were insanely cheap as the Braves had been bad for a while. Sat behind the visitor's dugout. Braves got smoked.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    First game was some unremembered date and team in 1984. How i miss those beautiful early 80's uni's. The powder blue will always be my favorite.

This thread man, I've never been a high roller, but damn. What an experience!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    what device are you looking at it on? Shows up fine at the bottom of the main post on my pc
    Google pixel 3. But I did load it up in the Reddit app, maybe that's why.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Me, for one, though I have been to Atlanta a few times. I grew up just outside of DC in NoVa, and while we kind of had the Orioles, they weren't really close.

My first game was before I was even a Braves fan. I was on a band trip to compete at one of the hotels across the street from the old-old stadium, and we went to a game on our day off. I believe it was against the Cubs in May of 1987.

After I became a Braves fan, I believe my first game was in Philadelphia in 1994. I took my 80-year old grandmother. She was a life-long Phillies fan, and loved every minute!

Since then, Ive seen the Braves in St Louis in 1995, Montreal in 2000, and here in Denver every year since 2000
    Last edited by Nerfherders; 11-05-2021 at 06:50 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Don't recall my first game. I'm sure I was a baby. I'm the youngest of 3 and my dad had been taking us since before I was born. However, the first game I recall going to was pretty epic. Damon Berryhill hit a walk off homer in the bottom of the 9th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Don't recall my first game. I'm sure I was a baby. I'm the youngest of 3 and my dad had been taking us since before I was born. However, the first game I recall going to was pretty epic. Damon Berryhill hit a walk off homer in the bottom of the 9th.
    Damon Berryhill. There's a name I haven't heard in a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    June of 1983. I was 3 months old. My dad carried me down to the field level before the game to get Dale Murphy to sign a ball for me. The story I'm told is that Murph asked if he could hold me and then walked around the outfield with me for about 20 minutes, then signed a bunch of stuff for my dad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    My dad took us a game one summer in the late 60's on the way to a trip through the Smokey Mountains. I was too young to really be a fan, but apparently I saw Hank Aaron hit a HR. I mainly remember trying to see Chief Nokahoma.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I dont remember my first game but the summer of 1952 I was almost 12. Grew up about 45 miles from Briggs Stadium in Detroit. A school friend and I were allowed to take a Greyhound to Detroit where he had a cousin living in Highland Park about 6 miles from the stadium. Once a month when the Tigers were in town for a weekend we would. I remember seeing Mantle tho him being a rookie we didnt pay much attention, Ted Williams who Ill get back to. I think the other team that year was Cleveland so Im sure we saw Lemon or Rosen. We would buy seats in the upper deck in RF but there was an older man ushering and would not allow us to set up there without adult supervision so he became our guardian of sorts and always moved us down to lower deck. One day Williams tossed a ball to the three of us but some ass hole adult grabbed it.

Another story about my school friend Ill save for a later date.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I've never been particularly close to Atlanta or spent much time there so I've rarely attended games.

I think the first game I attended was one vs the Astros where catcher Gregg Olson had his leg broken.

My old favorite Rafael Ramirez was on the Astros in that game.

I grew up watching the Braves. They were just what my dad had on in the evenings. Sunday night he'd have them on with a cold one and grill something in the evening.

He'd grown up with no Southern team and had been a Red Sox fan for Ted Williams. I think there broadcast on radio for some reason. Though I never remember him pulling for the Sox. Maybe he did and I didn't notice.

When I got old enough and had a tv in my room I'd have them on while I arranged my baseball cards and later when I did my homework.

Never really had much expectation they'd be good until 1991. That was a revelation.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Present.

I became a Braves fan because my hick town cable company in south Arkansas chose to pick up WTCG 17 out of Atlanta instead of WGN from Chicago back in the late 1970s. Being the baseball dork I was at such a young age, along with being (at the time) an only child/grandchild, our vacations revolved around what the parents and grandparents thought would make me happiest. Thus, they got tickets to a couple of games through a drug addled cousin who had moved to Atlanta to start a music career, and off to Atlanta we went in my grandfather's '75 Buick land yacht. The date of the first game? 8/1/1978. Something kind of cool happened that night.
    Wasn't that the night they ended Rose's hit streak? August 1st was my Dad's birthday, and IIRC I was listening to the Reds' AM radio feed - we were on vacation in Sunset Beach, NC.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (11-06-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wasn't that the night they ended Rose's hit streak? August 1st was my Dad's birthday, and IIRC I was listening to the Reds' AM radio feed - we were on vacation in Sunset Beach, NC.
    That was it.

Kind of hard not to bond with the Braves after that.