Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

What would you do?

I know we have the offseason thread but that’s more for rumors. This is a what would you do realistically to make the Braves a team that can repeat. We know we need 2 outfielders, a 4th starter, another TH bullpen option, and 1b is technically a void right now.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Need to set a budget for best results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Realistic moves. No moves obviously that add 100 million.

Freeman at 5/137.5 with an option
    Soler 2/24
    Greinke 1/15
    Pache, Contreras, Wright, Davidson, and Franklin for Reynolds

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-09-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Hard to make a realistic guess when the Ozuna situation is up in the air and how much payroll is actually going up. AA obviously knows how much payroll is going up and I hope he has a good idea of what will happen with Ozuna.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Realistic moves. No moves obviously that add 100 million.

Freeman at 5/137.5 with an option
    Soler 2/24
    Greinke 1/15
    Pache, Contreras, Wright, Davidson, and Franklin for Reynolds
    I would no doubt call that a successful off season, though those deals are on the expensive side of what those guys should cost. I especially like the idea floating around here of cashing in Pache and arms for Reynolds.

I won’t bother trying to pin down exact names, but the general strategy I would follow would be:

Get the most impactful bats I can afford for 1B and LF. Freeman, Rizzo, Soler, Canha, Garcia…lots of bats fit here.

Then address CF. If the answer here is Marte or Reynolds then the LF bat can be less expensive. Guys like Joc and Duvall work here.

Then sign the best remaining SP willing to take a 1 year deal for whatever cash I have left. There are about 10 options for this spot.

Finally, add the best RH BP arm I can afford. Again, several options, most of whom we haven’t even discussed.

If money frees up from an Ozuna suspension, use that cash for the best remaining bat available to fill those DH spot. Someone like Rosario fits here.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-09-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    If Melancon signed with the Padres that cheap, then we could theoretically replace Martin with him, if Melancon would be ok coming back to the east coast again.

If we don't bring back Freeman, we're going to have some of his money to play with.

As wupk said it all boils down to Ozuna's money.
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Freeman 5-6 years
    Rosario 1-2 years
    Soler 1-2 years
    Brad Hand or Kirby Yates 1 year ( We can use any of those two the way we used Jesse Chavez )
    Greinke 1 year

Pache our centerfield if he don’t work we can move Drew Waters with other pieces for someone else. I think Pache need more time to develop. Pache have a excellent glove.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Just a wild ass idea: Guys like Mueller, Touki, Davidson and Ynoa (2 RH 2 LH) having little IMO trade value at the moment along with the Soroka situation. Assume Soroka shows potential for coming back relatively early in the season and bull pen games are going to be part of the game going forward, what about keeping the 4 young starters for those pen games and see how they develop in that usage. Then make a decision at the trade deadline on how to get the most available if it works with one or more of them?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Just a wild ass idea: Guys like Mueller, Touki, Davidson and Ynoa (2 RH 2 LH) having little IMO trade value at the moment along with the Soroka situation. Assume Soroka shows potential for coming back relatively early in the season and bull pen games are going to be part of the game going forward, what about keeping the 4 young starters for those pen games and see how they develop in that usage. Then make a decision at the trade deadline on how to get the most available if it works with one or more of them?
    I think those guys still have pretty good value. I am not sure about Tucker. His stuff is meh. But Ynoa and Touki are still tradable. Ynoa flashed great before the hand issue.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    We can easily create a solid piggyback system.

Ynoa/Muller
    Wright (Then Soroka when healthy)/Davidson
    Strider/Elder

So many options and you can play with the shuttle between Atlanta & Gwinnett to keep the arms fresh.
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    I would go all in for Reynolds first and foremost - after signing Freeman obviously.
    Then get Soler
    Then get Chavez back for BP.
    Then get Duvall back.
    I would let the SP work itself out for now with what we have - unless, of course, we have to give up several arms to get Reynolds. And if so, sign Grienke.
    But as others have stated, this is silly until we know budget - and we won’t.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    I know its unrealistic to expect the Braves to make any big signings but now is the time imo. Heres what I want to see.

Rosario/Soler resigned 1-2 years - I have my doubts they will maintain the lightning in a bottle they had late last year but I dont expect either to get huge offers. So bring them back if for nothing else to compensate them for the WS win. Neither is the Charles Thomas type flash in the pan so I have some hope they can be quality contributers going forward.

Sign Zack Greinke - I think this finally happens this time around. I think what he could/would teach our young pitchers would be worth the price alone. I dont expect great things from him but I think he would be a solid innings eater. SP market is a minefield. Only others starters I would even have interest in are Verlander and Scherzer.

Resign Freeman - I would offer 6 years 150 million with two 25 million option years on the end and 4 years 120 million with a 1 year 30 million option. I have serious doubts how productive he will be in 4 years so the longterm offer is kind of a legacy deal. I am sure someone else would give him more but this would put his career earnings over 300 million and likely to end over 400 million. I think the value of being a one team player for your whole career outweighs a little more money.

Corey Seager - Yeah, I know it wont happen but I think we should strike now to maximize our chances in the next 3-4 years. Seager would play 3B in 2022 and Riley can play LF. I dont want any part of signings Dansby to a long term deal. Would be a PR nightmare to trade him so just let him play out his final year. Seager moves back to SS in 2023. The lineup depth would be off the charts assuming Ozuna is back.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Seagar is probably going to end up at 3B or playing an increasingly average or below SS. Only drawback there.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    It's a PR disaster if the Braves dont keep Freeman but it might be the right "baseball move" to let him walk if the price becomes like 6-180/7-210+, thats a bad contract on the backend. But we gotta take advantage of Albies/Acuna's deal somehow. I trust AA either way with what he decides to do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Everyone is talking about Greinke...I would much rather give that 1 year to Verlander.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-10-2021), mossy (11-10-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Everyone is talking about Greinke...I would much rather give that 1 year to Verlander.
    Verlander has a QO attached to him, and i think it's possible JV accepts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yeah Verlander will probably accept. We’re kinda stuck until we know about Freddie

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Verlander isn't going to accept the QO - he was up to 97 during his showcase. The Yankees, Giants, Angels, Blue Jays, and Mutts are among the teams that were confirmed as having people there, and all are looking for pitching.

If he gets less than the 2 year/$40 million projection MLBTR had for him, I'll be shocked - it's probably going to take guaranteeing the second year to get him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I thought I heard that Verlander wants to be on the West Coast. Of course, money talks so he'll likely gravitate toward the highest offer.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    I doubt Verlander even wants to go back to Houston