Thread: Braves sell minor league affiliates

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Braves sell minor league affiliates

Gwinnett, Mississippi, and Rome Braves have all been sold to Endeavor Group Holdings...the amount was not disclosed.

I wonder how this will effect the budget going forward. The braves are one of the few MLB teams that, up until this point, owned their minor league affiliates. They all seemed to be losing money, with super low attendance (at least in Gwinnett).
    Get off my lawn!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Without maintenance and upkeep of the real property it now becomes easier to pay minor leaguers more money. Just saying maybe Clark wins this point.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Great news for my hopes of the Arkansas Travelers eventually becoming the AA affiliate of the Braves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    The M in MLBPA stands for Major, therefor Clark doesn’t give two thoughts to what minor league players are paid. That’s why they’ve been so severely exploited.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-10-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Hasnt it been stated in depth that minor league payrolls are prominent issue in the initial demands?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Great news for my hopes of the Arkansas Travelers eventually becoming the AA affiliate of the Braves.
    Columbia, SC fits the profile. Pretty close.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    You guys have this all wrong. That AA team should be in Greenville SC where it belongs.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-08-2021), FreemanFan (12-13-2021), Jaw (12-09-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    You guys have this all wrong. That AA team should be in Greenville SC where it belongs.
    An hour and ten minutes from here to the park - would be there quite often.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Am I the only one who finds this ... weird? Endeavor represents baseball players. So they're going to both represent AND employ? I mean, no conflict there. And weren't they just sued for poaching another company's baseball agents, supposedly to get Carlos Correa on their roster? Corporate consolidation can be dicey, even under the best of circumstances. I'm not sure these are those. Or is it just me?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-09-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this ... weird? Endeavor represents baseball players. So they're going to both represent AND employ? I mean, no conflict there. And weren't they just sued for poaching another company's baseball agents, supposedly to get Carlos Correa on their roster? Corporate consolidation can be dicey, even under the best of circumstances. I'm not sure these are those. Or is it just me?
    Easy access to prospective clients.

See also: IMG Academy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2021), jpx7 (12-10-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Gwinnett, Mississippi, and Rome Braves have all been sold to Endeavor Group Holdings...the amount was not disclosed.

I wonder how this will effect the budget going forward. The braves are one of the few MLB teams that, up until this point, owned their minor league affiliates. They all seemed to be losing money, with super low attendance (at least in Gwinnett).
    Surprising to me. I thought the trend would go the other way. It really doesn't affect the on-field angle because the Braves will sign player development agreements with each team (and it might not even be these particular teams), the teams will still be run by the staff the Braves puts at each site and the rosters will be under Braves' control. I think it's just a "let the other guy handle the logistics and if they can make more money than we did, have at it."

The Braves didn't own the Augusta franchise.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-10-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Surprising to me. I thought the trend would go the other way. It really doesn't affect the on-field angle because the Braves will sign player development agreements with each team (and it might not even be these particular teams), the teams will still be run by the staff the Braves puts at each site and the rosters will be under Braves' control. I think it's just a "let the other guy handle the logistics and if they can make more money than we did, have at it."

The Braves didn't own the Augusta franchise.
    It appears that's exactly what's going on. Endeavor will have to be incredibly careful about steering players toward their agency interests since MLB has always had to be concerned with losing the antitrust exemption. At the same time, it certainly looks like they have the partners and structure in place to consolidate a lot of moving pieces and turn something (MiLB franchises) that's always been marginally profitable at the very best into something significantly better when run by the big box/Walmart/bulk method where any losses would be spread out and management and expenses would be more centralized. It's awfully hard to imagine they would have been able to sell as diverse a group as MLB owners are on the thought that it's a good idea to let eventually allow them to buy and control 25% of the teams in the minor leagues unless they've come up with a pretty impressive plan.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?