15 head to head versus the Mutts. Plenty of time and opportunities

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-07-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Braves are probably a better true talent team than the Mets, but probably not 9 wins better. Barring another fairly epic collapse by the Mets, the division should be theirs.

If they just bumble around and go 53-53 ROS, they still win 90 games and the Braves have to go 62-45 just to catch them.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-06-2022 at 01:05 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-06-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves are probably a better true talent team than the Mets, but probably not 9 wins better. Barring another fairly epic collapse by the Mets, the division should be theirs.

If they just bumble around and go 53-53 ROS, they still win 90 games and the Braves have to go 62-45 just to catch them.
    Hopefully it ends up like the 2019 season, where we had built up the huge lead on the Nationals, only for them to come storming back in the 2nd half, but came up just short by a few games for the division title. They ended up carrying that hot streak into the playoffs. We all know what happened to the Braves that year in the playoffs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

agreed.. if Max and DeGrom come back and are anything like themselves, then I don't see any way the Braves can catch them. If they don't and the Braves can't figure out Morton and Soroka can't contribute, then I don't see any way they can catch them. It will take a perfect set of circumstances for the Braves to go on a run to catch them. Butttt it is the Mets and the Braves with effective Fried, Morton, Wright and Soroka is a very scary team.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/...-06&dateDelta=

Braves were 28-29 on June 6th last year. Mets were 30-23.

Win Division:
    Mets 76.3%
    Braves 14.4%

Make Playoffs
    Mets 82.2%
    Braves 24.9%

The extra wild card really increases the chances of getting to the playoffs. If there was still only 2 WC teams then the Braves odds at the playoffs are likely similar to last season at this point.

Also the Braves are currently projected to have a higher WP than the Mets for the rest of the season. But with a 1/3rd of the season already gone the Mets have banked a really good lead. I can easily see a situation where their offensive luck turns and they struggle at different points the rest of the way. But in the end, making the playoffs is the ultimate goal.

It's pretty crazy to me that the NL playoff picture was pretty much set from the start of the season, and it's pretty much worked out exactly as expected. Right now it looks like the Braves will just have to be better than the Cardinals or Giants to get in. Unfortunately the Cardinals have the weakest division and easiest schedule.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I worry about the NLC getting a WC b/c the division sucks and it will suck more when those teams sell.

And I worry that the west could have 2 WC teams b/c the Giants and Padres seem that good. Hopefully the Rockies and Dbacks won't be horrible and those teams will beat each other up somewhat.

The Braves should make the playoffs, but it is frustrating to not be better at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Hopefully it ends up like the 2019 season, where we had built up the huge lead on the Nationals, only for them to come storming back in the 2nd half, but came up just short by a few games for the division title. They ended up carrying that hot streak into the playoffs. We all know what happened to the Braves that year in the playoffs.
    I hate the expanded playoffs, but I hope it helps us this year.

We won it last year. I don't think we were the best team, but it was nice to win it last year. Too many times the Braves have lost when I thought they were the better team.

If we get in, it will be really fun to defend the title. And as long as we have our key guys (Fried, Acuna, Riley, etc) I expect us to be a much better team at the end of the year than we were at the beginning of this year or even last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Looking at some possible cheap upgrades, and one guy I like is Whit Merrifield. Yes, I know he's been really bad, but his batted ball stats seem to be either the same, or better, than years past, suggesting he may just be getting really unlucky. If he is cheap enough, he could be worth a gamble. He provides positional flexibility as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Looking at some possible cheap upgrades, and one guy I like is Whit Merrifield. Yes, I know he's been really bad, but his batted ball stats seem to be either the same, or better, than years past, suggesting he may just be getting really unlucky. If he is cheap enough, he could be worth a gamble. He provides positional flexibility as well.
    I don't know how he's playing this year, but he's a guy I've like for a while. Cheap contract even if he is owed money next year. IMO would be an ideal guy to have the bench b/c of his positional versatility. In a world of DH and not a lot of subs, it would be good to have a guy like that on the roster. If you think he can be a guy around a 750 OPS.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think you are seeing age decline and I would be weary of him.. He was always a guy who did several things well but nothing exceptional. While he still might be valuable, I wouldn't want to give up anything of real value for him.
    Coppy

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think you are seeing age decline and I would be weary of him.. He was always a guy who did several things well but nothing exceptional. While he still might be valuable, I wouldn't want to give up anything of real value for him.
    So basically all the outfielder trades AA made for the deadline last year. Giving up nothing of value.
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-06-2022)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    So basically all the outfielder trades AA made for the deadline last year. Giving up nothing of value.
    yes, he probably is a target given his very low BAiP.. buy low canidate in hopes to strike lighting in a bottle. could slot him in the leadoff or behind Ronnie and you would have terror on the bases with speed.

Did I just talk myself into this guy...
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Agree. I'd be looking at something like Ynoa and Davidson.

Next year I think he has a base of like 2 million and a lot of incentives. So he'd be ok to have around even if he's just providing the value of Arcia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Mets 3-0 after 1. They're just a BA team apparently

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Mets 3-0 after 1. They're just a BA team apparently
    Padres are prime candidate for another collapse like last year. They are 18th in position player fWAR at 5.8. Machado has nearly 2/3's of that himself at 3.5. Their pitching is great so far but how will that last? They need Tatis back in a bad way.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Man, the Angels have lost 12 straight - 27-17 to 27-29. I think it was clear part of their record was a mirage but this is absurd.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Man, the Angels have lost 12 straight - 27-17 to 27-29. I think it was clear part of their record was a mirage but this is absurd.
    Also coincides with the worst slump of Trout's career

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2022), UNCBlue012 (06-07-2022)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Angels fire Maddon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Definitely not Maddon’s fault

Thanks Thanks Given