Page 92 of 97 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 1934

Thread: Around the Majors - 2022 Version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Yeah he’s not gonna age well at his size imo. That contract is gonna look rough on the back 3 years
    He flat out may not want to be there
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    He flat out may not want to be there
    I think Judge wants to be a Yankee. 7/213 or whatever it was isnt close to what he should get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yankees will have some competition. I could see the Cubs, Giants, and Mariners all after him. The Mets will want to make a splash so they’ll be in the bidding too.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Isn’t disengagement worse. Once a pitcher engages the rubber he has to make a pitch or step off. So if for some reason a pitcher gets a bug in his eye or can’t sync with catcher, is that one of his disengagement?

I hate the idea of limiting players from doing something that is just part of the game. Why do we have to reinvent the game. Just make it easier to watch and market your freaking stats better.
    Whoa. Now there's a Freudian slip if I've ever seen one.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    RIP Maury Wills who passed away a couple of days ago. Not a Hall of Famer, but a very influential player. First player to ever steal 100 bases in a season in the modern era and along with HOFer Luis Aparicio brought the stolen base back into vogue after a period in which the strategy was dormant. Those two and others made the next few decades one in which the stolen base was a pretty big part of the game.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-22-2022), clvclv (09-21-2022)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Royals just fired Dayton Moore. I kind of thought he had lifetime job security there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-21-2022), The Chosen One (09-21-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Royals just fired Dayton Moore. I kind of thought he had lifetime job security there.
    It would be one thing if he had a lousy major league team but was building toward something, but their drafts don't appear to be producing that much outside of Witt in terms of above-average potential. I didn't realize he had been KC's GM since 2006.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-21-2022)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It would be one thing if he had a lousy major league team but was building toward something, but their drafts don't appear to be producing that much outside of Witt in terms of above-average potential. I didn't realize he had been KC's GM since 2006.
    They haven't drafted many "world-beaters", but they haven't exactly been awful...

2017 - Pratto (still coming) and Melendez (cornerstone)
    2018 - Singer (TOR piece), jury's still out on Kowar/Lynch/Bubich
    2019 - Witt (franchise player), Pasquantino (long-term answer at 1B or DH), Marsh (could be a back end of rotation piece)
    2020 - Lacy (still developing)
    2021 - Mozzicato (still really young)
    2022 - Cross (could be an OF piece)

Overall you're right, their drafts haven't exactly set the world on fire - but they have yielded some interesting pieces. The problem in KC will remain what it has always been regardless of who's running the ship - will they be given enough money to sign 3-4 guys if their core actually DOES develop?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He's definitely earned a firing. I just didn't know if ownership would ever actually pull the trigger on the guy who won a World Series for the freaking Kansas City Royals.

New ownership definitely helped with that decision.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Few get to hold their jobs forever, but he will always have the knowledge that took a truly awful franchise and won a World Series and seems to be really well liked by everyone. Also I'm sure he has plenty of money and plenty of job options.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    To a certain degree Im sure Moore's problems could be attributed to ownership. At the same time there were lots of people on this and every other Braves forum that wanted Moore to get Hart's and Coppy's job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    To a certain degree Im sure Moore's problems could be attributed to ownership. At the same time there were lots of people on this and every other Braves forum that wanted Moore to get Hart's and Coppy's job.
    “Lots”? Lol, no. Maybe like two or three. And I only know of one off the top of my head.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    You would probably know of "many" if you paid attention to topics other than your and a couple others "Moms".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Speaking of the Royals, I hadn't realized just how good Salvador Perez has been over his career. I know he has been solid, but I was expecting him to have a career WAR closer to 20.0. According to BR, he has 31.8 career WAR and he's only 32. For reference, Molina only has 42.2 career WAR at age 39. And many in the media consider Molina a future HOFer. Yet you really never hear much about Perez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    You would probably know of "many" if you paid attention to topics other than your and a couple others "Moms".
    Name them then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Speaking of the Royals, I hadn't realized just how good Salvador Perez has been over his career. I know he has been solid, but I was expecting him to have a career WAR closer to 20.0. According to BR, he has 31.8 career WAR and he's only 32. For reference, Molina only has 42.2 career WAR at age 39. And many in the media consider Molina a future HOFer. Yet you really never hear much about Perez.
    He led the majors in homeruns last year, which is crazy.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Didn't see this anywhere else, but the first of the international signings whose contracts were voided by the MLB investigation outlining the misbehavior of our then-General Manager and a few people in charge of the international signing process made his debut over the weekend. The Angels called up SS/2B Livan Soto from AA Rocket City and he's been their starting SS since joining the team on Sunday. Pretty much a glove-first guy, but did hit an HR in his first major league game.

Other guys have had mixed success.

INF/OF Ji-hwan Bae has had a decent season for the Pirates' AAA team.

The centerpiece of that class--Kevin Maitan--took some steps forward for the same Rocket City team where Soto played, but he still strikes out at a prodigious rate although his power numbers did improve as the season wore on.

2B Yunior Severino started the year in High A, but was promoted to AA midway through the season and ended up with a combined .906 OPS at the two stops. As is the case with Maitain, Severino Ks a lot.

C Abrahan Gutierrez spent the whole year with the Pirates High-A team in Greensboro where he hit 12 HRs and put up a .767 OPS.

3B Yenci Pena had a truncated season, only logging 221 PAs, first with Texas' Low-A Down East Wood Ducks and then their High-A team in Hickory after a late-season promotion. Pena's season was similar--though not as successful--as Brandol Mezquita's. If you recall, Mezquita was the only member of that class who decided to return to the Braves after the contract was voided.

Juan Carlos Negret played for Kansas City's High-A affiliate in Quad Cities. Still not hitting for average, but some impressive power numbers and he did cut his K-rate markedly.

On the pitching side, RHP Yefri Del Rosario is finishing the season with the Royals' AAA team in Omaha. He was on the Royals' Top 30 prospects a couple of years ago, but has fallen off that list. RHP Guillermo Zuniga pitched in AA for the Dodgers' Tulsa squad.

RHP Juan Contreras signed with the Angels, but is out of baseball. OF Antonio Sucre did not catch on anywhere after his contract was voided. SS/2B Angel Rojas played for the Yankees GCL squad this year.

The Braves were also prohibited from signing SS Robert Puason. He had supposedly agreed to a monster contract and it looks like the Braves dodged a bullet, because he's still laboring in Rookie Ball after being sent down from the A's Low-A team mid-season.

It's difficult to tell how many of these guys will contribute at the major league level, but it's clear when you look at the lack of depth we have in the system that these guys would have at least filled some slots and given the Braves at least some cushion in terms of prospect capital.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-22-2022)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    For the love of God please don't tell a Cardinals fan that old one-nut might not be a sure fire, first ballot, unanimous Hall of Famer. I suggested this once and have had to go into federal witness protection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts

24. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-24-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Pujols gets 700. Wow.

Best hitter of my lifetime maybe?