Page 70 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1934

Thread: Around the Majors - 2022 Version

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Want to read all about being a terrible GM? https://blogs.fangraphs.com/al-avila...igers-do-next/

The way he butchered the trade value of Verlander, Fulmer, and Boyd is comical. He actually gave Baez 6/140. He is still paying the corpse of Miggy $32M this year and next, and is the prime example cited when folks discuss why it's a bad idea to sign bat-first players long term.

The best quote of the article: "Detroit just spent six years building for the future, but so far the team they constructed has a historically bad offense and the third-worst record in the game....Tearing down again, exactly zero years into a successful window of contention, will be a tough sell for Tigers fans."

Dude got to be an MLB GM for 25 and was terrible the entire time. Crazy how things work out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    To be fair to Avila, he’s merely made awful mistakes for the past 7 years as the GM of the Tigers. For some reason, the Tigers thought it would be a good idea to promote the top lieutenant of the guy they fired (Dombrowski).

Dombrowski, meanwhile, has managed to seduce two different ownership groups to hire him and basically the only thing he’s done is spend a lot of money in free agency. Not a builder, that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Tatis is getting ripped apart in the sports world right now. They are probably regretting giving out 340 million

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Tatis is getting ripped apart in the sports world right now. They are probably regretting giving out 340 million
    You hate to see it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-15-2022)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Especially it it was an honest mistake as he claimed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It's always an honest mistake...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's always an honest mistake...
    Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Frankly, it would look better if it wasn’t an honest mistake.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Frankly, it would look better if it wasn’t an honest mistake.
    would it though... maybe it would, but you have to think if a guy came out and said, yeah, I was trying to get back quicker so I took illegal crap to cheat my way back... I am not sure you can come back from that either.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    To be fair to Avila, he’s merely made awful mistakes for the past 7 years as the GM of the Tigers. For some reason, the Tigers thought it would be a good idea to promote the top lieutenant of the guy they fired (Dombrowski).

Dombrowski, meanwhile, has managed to seduce two different ownership groups to hire him and basically the only thing he’s done is spend a lot of money in free agency. Not a builder, that one.
    Well, Dombrowski has taken three different franchises to the World Series, winning two of them and winning four pennants in total. He also built a Tigers team that was all-time bad into a perennial powerhouse for about a decade. The 2nd Marlins title also had a lot of his players, and he built up the Expos into a contender and factory of talent in the early 90’s. Now, he’s got the Phillies on the verge of their first playoff appearance in over a decade.

So, Dombrowski is a pretty good GM. Yes, he’s mainly good at win-now mode, but he’s really good at it. I’m confused at where the dismissiveness comes from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    would it though... maybe it would, but you have to think if a guy came out and said, yeah, I was trying to get back quicker so I took illegal crap to cheat my way back... I am not sure you can come back from that either.
    It at least shows that he’s not a complete moron and knew what he was doing, so maybe you don’t have to worry about it happening again when he’s not injured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Everybody knows the ringworm story is bogus so now they are branding him a liar and a cheat. He has a huge black eye on him right now.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 08-15-2022 at 01:00 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Well, Dombrowski has taken three different franchises to the World Series, winning two of them and winning four pennants in total. He also built a Tigers team that was all-time bad into a perennial powerhouse for about a decade. The 2nd Marlins title also had a lot of his players, and he built up the Expos into a contender and factory of talent in the early 90’s. Now, he’s got the Phillies on the verge of their first playoff appearance in over a decade.

So, Dombrowski is a pretty good GM. Yes, he’s mainly good at win-now mode, but he’s really good at it. I’m confused at where the dismissiveness comes from.
    I think he was genuinely good with Detroit.

With Boston, that’s the ultimate counter example to “flags fly forever”. Yes he won but it was largely done with Cherington’s players and a cadre of free agent signings so bad the Red Sox fired him 10 months later, and directly led to the Mookie Betts trade.
    The Phillies are spending at the luxury tax and are projected as a third WC team. I think at 66 years old he’s not as capable as his most of his counterparts.

But yea, you’re probably right. My glibness probably isn’t fair nor warranted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think he was genuinely good with Detroit.

With Boston, that’s the ultimate counter example to “flags fly forever”. Yes he won but it was largely done with Cherington’s players and a cadre of free agent signings so bad the Red Sox fired him 10 months later, and directly led to the Mookie Betts trade.
    The Phillies are spending at the luxury tax and are projected as a third WC team. I think at 66 years old he’s not as capable as his most of his counterparts.

But yea, you’re probably right. My glibness probably isn’t fair nor warranted.
    But I also figure Boston got what they signed up for.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    yeah, the phillies spending a bunch of money and having it eventually turn into one year of the playoffs so far isn’t impressive at all. their development still hasn’t been good so far and they always have a bad contract or two hanging around. Castellanos was a bad use of $20m and they still don’t really have any depth. there isn’t much on the farm outside the two pitchers who are really young.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Rangers fired their manager.....really worried we are going to lose Washington this offseason.
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Rangers fired their manager.....really worried we are going to lose Washington this offseason.
    Should of lost him last offseason. He's a better manager than a lot of guys right now.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Should of lost him last offseason. He's a better manager than a lot of guys right now.
    he would be a better manager than who he works for... but that is not saying a lot
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    You'd have to have a red hat on your head at all times and think Tatis was the orange man himself to believe the ringworm nonsense. I'm sure several children who are Padres fans do believe him.

He very clearly was using PEDs during recovery. So yes, it was an honest mistake...he honestly made the mistake of not cycling off the PEDs soon enough when he came back.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You'd have to have a red hat on your head at all times and think Tatis was the orange man himself to believe the ringworm nonsense. I'm sure several children who are Padres fans do believe him.

He very clearly was using PEDs during recovery. So yes, it was an honest mistake...he honestly made the mistake of not cycling off the PEDs soon enough when he came back.
    Yeah, most everyone knows he is lying.. but still to say it outright makes it hard to come back from. He can always hide behind that sliver of doubt he was not a cheater.. also makes it easier for fans to accept. they can also start to forgive quicker.
    Coppy