Page 11 of 97 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the Majors - 2022 Version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I mean it isn't good obviously, but they're currently tied for the most wins in the NL and DeGrom hasn't thrown an inning. Their rotation simply goes from the best in baseball with both pitchers, to around league average with both of them out. But certainly, they'll need to make an addition if Scherzer has to miss significant time. Can't expect to win the WS with Bassit, Carrasco, Walker's duck taped arm.
    I like our rotation better than theirs. Their 2 best starters are super injury prone and are both older. IF Soroka does come back then ours stacks up against anybodys. We’ve just had a ton of bad luck and that will even out eventually.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I like our rotation better than theirs. Their 2 best starters are super injury prone and are both older. IF Soroka does come back then ours stacks up against anybodys. We’ve just had a ton of bad luck and that will even out eventually.
    HUGE problem here. You're talking about the Mutts having two injury-prone starters in one breath, then mentioning a healthy Soroka in the same sentence. There's an argument to be made that Soroka never throws another pitch in the majors again, so any discussion about him making a contribution - of any sort - is an absolute pipe-dream.

It would be a great story if Soroka made it back far enough to even be a #4/#5 SP for even a year or two, but there's much more chance the Mutts get more significant contributions from Scherzer and deGrom - regardless of how injury-prone they may or may not be.

We're all pulling like crazy for Mike, but he was far from a frontline SP before he tore the tendon the first time - expecting him to be anything like he was prior to that is a bit nuts.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    A Jack Morris paraphrase: " A 10-9 win counts just as much as a 1-0 win." Unfortunately for the Braves so far this year you can apply the same logic that a 1-0 loss counts just as much as a 7-6 loss. Maybe even more when they occur on back to back days.
    Last edited by PawPawMaxwell; 05-19-2022 at 11:40 AM. Reason: mis typed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Scherzer has an oblique injury.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    HUGE problem here. You're talking about the Mutts having two injury-prone starters in one breath, then mentioning a healthy Soroka in the same sentence. There's an argument to be made that Soroka never throws another pitch in the majors again, so any discussion about him making a contribution - of any sort - is an absolute pipe-dream.

It would be a great story if Soroka made it back far enough to even be a #4/#5 SP for even a year or two, but there's much more chance the Mutts get more significant contributions from Scherzer and deGrom - regardless of how injury-prone they may or may not be.

We're all pulling like crazy for Mike, but he was far from a frontline SP before he tore the tendon the first time - expecting him to be anything like he was prior to that is a bit nuts.
    Unfortunately I have to agree.

I'm thinking the most I can expect from Soroka is that he can come in and do the Strider role this year. He hasn't thrown and I don't know how stretched out he can get. Maybe he can be that multi inning guy and you can put Strider into the rotation.

I think the best realistic situation for Soroka is you hope he can be healthy and pitch this year. Be healthy through the offseason. Hopefully be a factor next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

That’s why I capitalized IF. Soroka at least has youth on his side where deGrom and Scherzer are about to be 34 and 38 and are the aces of their staff. But regardless Soroka has an up hill battle on his hands for sure.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    That’s why I capitalized IF. Soroka at least has youth on his side where deGrom and Scherzer are about to be 34 and 38 and are the aces of their staff. But regardless Soroka has an up hill battle on his hands for sure.
    Correct. There is a huge distinction between the Braves getting Soroka back and the Mutts getting sherzs and grom back. Soroka is our cherry on the Sundae. Those two guys are there bowl and ice cream.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    And Soroka was a front line starter before his injury. Not established, but his pedigree along with success at MLB level is clear frontline guy. His MLB era is bloated due to small sample size with a few bad games before his shoulder went out. And sub 3 is bloated. Lol. Soroka is just injury prone and not reliable in the least bit.
    Coppy

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Scherzer out 6-8 weeks
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I don’t agree we’ve had bad luck.
    Duvall and some of the others are just bad now.
    Advanced stats show this.
    I believe we will get it together and be in the mix for a playoff spot but as of right now we are just a mediocre team and our advanced stats and run differential bare that out.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    I believe we will get it together and be in the mix for a playoff spot but as of right now we are just a mediocre team and our advanced stats and run differential bare that out.
    We have had bad luck. But we are just a mediocre team right now. Like you said Duvall is declining. I have no faith in Ozuna even with his stats showing bad luck. We just have to hope Rosario comes back better and someone from AAA can provide a spark.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    “Bad luck” tells us some of these guys aren’t as awful as their results suggest. It doesn’t mean they are actually amazing players though….just not awful.

The Braves needed help in the OF, and AA failed at adding that help. Anyone who thought guys acquired for free would somehow be the solution for a full season was high on WS glory. I said as much while it was happening.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-19-2022 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Scherzer out 6-8 weeks
    Well braves, do something!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    “Bad luck” tells us some of these guys aren’t as awful as their results suggest. It doesn’t mean they are actually amazing players though….just not awful.

The Braves needed help in the OF, and AA failed at adding that help. Anyone who thought guys acquired for free would somehow be the solution for a full season was high on WS glory. I said as much while it was happening.
    I was certainly was high, and I guess it's a little unfair since Rosario is out, but man, this OF makes me long for the days before cable tv and satellite in Mississippi, like it was 5 years ago

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Rosario, Pederson, Soler, and Duvall have a combined fWAR of -0.7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Soler's bat looks to be coming around, .348 xwoba. Duvall is just trash. Ozuna and soler are basically the same player though

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Joc has a .102 delta between xWOBA and WOBA. That’s brutal luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Joc has a .102 delta between xWOBA and WOBA. That’s brutal luck.
    Dang.

Duvall clearly the worst of bunch hitting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Dang.

Duvall clearly the worst of bunch hitting.
    Luckily it’s just for this season though. Going the 2nd year for Rosario was uncalled for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    I don’t know how many 100+ mph exit velo balls have been hit right at people but things like that will equal out over time. I’ll bet that we make the playoffs if anybody wants to take the bet with me.