Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill(s) you're Willing to Die on

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts

Hill(s) you're Willing to Die on

This is a thread for people who want to make a post about a hill they're willing to die on. Obviously you're allowed to do more than one post duh doi britta.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    For me, the quintessential Bon Jovi album is New Jersey. Sure Slipper When Wet was the best selling album and has their most iconic song ever (Livin' on a prayer) it's an amazing album, but New Jersey takes what works from SWW and turned into to 11.

Stadium rock anthem like You Give Love a Bad Name or Livin' on a Prayer, now you have Bad Medicine and Lay Your Hands on Me. Slightly slow rock song (wanted dead or ALive) you got BOrn to Be My Baby. Heres where I give it the edge, the next wave. I'll be there for you. THe love ballad. Something Bon Jovi didn't have as a hit before. And would wind up being their next 2 biggest hits (Bed of Roses and Always)

If you had to say this is the album to summarize the band, it's the best one. Just like how Led Zeppelin it's Physical Graffiti, for Pink Floyd it's The Wall, for Pearl Jam it's Vitalogy (though I guess it could be Yield) are these the best albums from the bands? Not necessarily. But it's the best snapshot.

Though I think New Jersey is a better album than Slippery When Wet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    The Breakfast Club is a bad movie. There, I said it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The Breakfast Club is a bad movie. There, I said it.
    I agree with you. Most 80s movies are bad. People are too nostalgic for their childhood movies.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Nickelback and Imagine Dragons get **** on for being "generic" but if people didn't like them they wouldn't be famous or have the standing they do.

When I watched the Kenny G documentary, it was a similar feeling. A lot of pure Jazz enthusiasts hate Kenny G. But Kenny G has a big following and introduced a lot of people with his style to classic Jazz.

People just need someone to hate and draw heat. Like in wrestling.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    The Beatles are outrageously over blown.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The Beatles are outrageously over blown.
    Beatles I feel like are the type of act who when it happened blew people's minds. 40 years later, you realize they didn't really do anything revolutionary, they just rode the way. Similar to Nirvana.

But yeah, gimme the Kinks for my early 60s rock group. BUt the real GOAT is Chuck Berry. Crazy mother****er who is the legend of Rock and Roll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Bountygate was a farce most likely to distract from the NFLs conspiracy to diminish the CTE research. It was a minor salary cap violation that was blown way out of proportion. I want out draft picks back damnit!
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Nickelback and Imagine Dragons get **** on for being "generic" but if people didn't like them they wouldn't be famous or have the standing they do.

When I watched the Kenny G documentary, it was a similar feeling. A lot of pure Jazz enthusiasts hate Kenny G. But Kenny G has a big following and introduced a lot of people with his style to classic Jazz.

I will expand on this with a newer belief I have. That Pop Music is still basically the same as it ever was. What changes ones belief is that the sub-genre they like was in a popular boost at the time or whatever the opposite of recency bias. So for example if you like alt-rock you probably really thought 90s was peak. Etc.

Now I'll say popular music is distilled and perfected in a way that it used to not be. And perhaps more than ever Video Killed the radio star. It has been a thing since the 80s for sure but now I think it's even easier because of pitch correction software. Someone who isn't a quality singer can sound better because of pitch correction, smart doubling, etc. But it's not like it's new. Milli Vanilli famously were a fake band. Famously many other boy/girl bands would only have 1 or 2 great performers and the rest simply were there as eye candy. I mean but even beyond that, it's not like other acts haven't used studio tricks. Bands would commonly hire studio musicians to play things. IIRC as Brian WIlson got more technically interested he would hire studio drummers who would be more precise than his brother.

But anyway. While there are exceptions, and in the past before clear channels dominance, there were years that certain DJs could heavily influence the charts, but yeah my challenge is pick a year. FOr my siblings they went with 1992, figuring middle of grunge probably some A+ stuff at the top. THen look at the billboard year end top 100.

So 1992 the top 10 winds up being

End of the Road - Boyz II Men
    Baby Got Back - Sir Mixalot
    Jump - Kris Kross
    Save the Best for Last - Vanessa WIlliams
    Baby-Baby-Baby - TLC
    Tears in Heaven - Eric CLapton
    My Lovin (Never gonna get it) - En Vogue
    Under the Bridge - RHCP
    ALl 4 Love - COlor Me Badd
    Just Another Day - Jon Secada

SMells like Teen Spirit comes in at 32.

So of that top 10. Only 1 of those songs is truly timeless (Under the BRidge) Baby Got Back is highly memeable, essentially the Careless whisper type of song. Same with Jump. Tears in Heavy is close to timeless but it's hardly an elite level Clapton song. ANd there's multiple songs there I couldn't tell you what they are.

So I go to when I was 15, 2002.

How You Remind Me - Nickelback
    FOolish - Ashanti
    Hot in Herre - Nelly
    Dilemna - Nelly
    Wherever You WIll Go - The Calling
    A Thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton
    In the End - Linkin Park
    What's Luv - Fat Joe
    U Got it Bad - Usher
    Blurry - Puddle of Mudd

As this was my early high school stuff it's the music I should be the most in tuned with and I know most of these songs. But without reference i probably couldn't do more than a line or 2 from most of these songs. Like How You Remind Me, I remember the prechorus and chorus but without listening to it again I couldn't tell you the words for the most part even though I knwo it's super simplistic and could pick it up. And that's true of most songs I can pick up the main hook/melody but I couldn't tell you how the song really goes.

None of those songs are what I'd consider Elite. In the End is one Linkin Park's weakest singles. Dilemma is a solid Nelly song, but Country Grammar era Nelly was the best.

And I went what was 2021's year end top 100?

Levitating - Dua Lipa
    Save your Tears - The Weeknd
    Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
    Mood - 24kGoldn
    Good 4 U - Olivia Rodrigo
    Kiss Me More - Doja Cat
    Leave the Door Open - Silk Sonic
    Driver's License - Olivia Rodrigo
    Montero - Lil Nas X
    Peaches - Justin Bieber.

What songs on this list will be remembered in 15 years? Who knows. If I was hedging my bet, Olivia Rodrigo is going to age well. Montero is going to be an interesting study in the direction of lil nas x's career. Leave the Door Open is a ****ing banger. I think the Weeknd songs will become the memeable ones. I think Mood will be forgotten about for th emost part.

Now all that said, there are years that what's popular is better. Usually it ties to a seminole pop record being released. See 1983 and 1984. 1983 saw Thriller songs charting (Billie Jean and Beat It) and 1984 saw Purple Rain and 1984 (Van Halen) launch. What there also do is lead to adjacent chart toppers too.

My final example to my siblings (who all were at least 10 by 92) how many top 40 hits (standard for a hit) did COlor Me Badd have? Usually I got like 3 as the answer, not the right answer which is 9 and how many cna you name, which anyone can name I Wanna Sex You Up, which wasn't even their highest charting single.

My point is that what gets popular is usually simplistic and generic and no one cares. People just generally only remember the songs that stand the test of time. Usuing my 2002 example, lower down the list you have iconic songs like Family Affair - Mary J Blige, Without Me - Eminem, Whenever, Wherever - Shakira, Work It - Missy Elliot, The WHole WOrld - Outkast, Lose Yourself - Eminem, and songs that didn't make the year end including Clocks - COld PLay, No One Knows - QUeens of the Stone Age, Like a Stone - AUdioslave, etc.

Every year has massive songs, songs that will last the test of time. We just remember the ones we want to remember. My final bullet point is 1965, middle of beatle mania, etc. you'd think the top 10 would be filled with iconic songs and there are some there, but the number 1 song of that year was Wooly Bully, 1966 Stones and Beach Boys were established, number 1 song? California Dreamin. 1967 which has heavy hitters, like All You Need is Love, Light My Fire, Respect, Brown Eyed Girl, etc. what's number 1? To Sir with Love by Lulu. 1968? Hey Jude Hey they did it! First time since their explosion on the scene in 64 they hit the top. number 2 must also be an iconic song, nope it's Love is Blue by Paul Mauriat. 1969 sees the release of Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin, etc. Number 1 song? Sugar Sugar by the fake band the Archies.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Shame on you for dragging Boyz II Men's name in the mud.
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-31-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts

It happens in sports a lot. Especially when a team/player becomes goated like Brady and the Patriots. Their first couple of superbowls were feel good stories. Keep winning and you get hated on for being good/popular.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Beatles I feel like are the type of act who when it happened blew people's minds. 40 years later, you realize they didn't really do anything revolutionary, they just rode the way. Similar to Nirvana.

But yeah, gimme the Kinks for my early 60s rock group. BUt the real GOAT is Chuck Berry. Crazy mother****er who is the legend of Rock and Roll.
    Those that pave the way aren't necessarily the best. There is a lot of luck that goes into becoming "that" band. And it's that popularity that will eventually cause people to overrate them and the flip side comes where it's held against them for being overrated.

IMO it shouldn't be a detriment to a band that they are the pioneers of a certain type of music that gains popularity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Shame on you for dragging Boyz II Men's name in the mud.
    I love Boyz II Men, but unless you grew up in Philly Metro in the 90s or a fan of R&B you probably don't idolize them. THis was confirmed when I joked with a coworker about starting a boy/girl band and mentioned we should do Motown Philly (long joke) and she looked at me like I had 6 eyes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    IPA's are bitter dog**** and IPA fanboys secretly agree with me. Heffeweizens, Kolsh's and Gaelic Ales are 1000x better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Kolsch is where it’s at
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    IPA's are bitter dog**** and IPA fanboys secretly agree with me. Heffeweizens, Kolsh's and Gaelic Ales are 1000x better
    You can die on that hill on your own, I'm not and oneing that one.

- Signed Guy who just spend 230 bucks on 2 cases of high octane IPAs

THat being said, anyone should like whatever beer they like. i love bolder ales. People can turn their noses up at my IPAs, barrel aged imperial stouts, and sours. I don't care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Macs just suck compared to PCs. Macs assume their users are idiots, but make the system virtually unusable. I was trying to help my girlfriend do something on the mac and just told her to screw it up and send it to me and I cranked it out on the PC in less time than she was tinkering around on the map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Macs just suck compared to PCs. Macs assume their users are idiots, but make the system virtually unusable. I was trying to help my girlfriend do something on the mac and just told her to screw it up and send it to me and I cranked it out on the PC in less time than she was tinkering around on the map.
    Same with iPhone vs Android. I have an iPhone for work and it's nonsense compared to my personal Galaxy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Same with iPhone vs Android. I have an iPhone for work and it's nonsense compared to my personal Galaxy.
    Yup. But there's no way you're going to convince an iphone user of that. They steal all their technology from Android phones (usually 2-3 years after Android phones came out with it. And they refuse to cooperate with other companies.
    They also are hard headed and refuse to update technology like switching over to USB C chargers, which literally every other phone or electronic device in the world uses as the standard now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    I just haven’t seen the point. My iPhone does everything I need it to?

I’m not enamored with it either. The new versions aren’t any different from my iPhone 8
    Ivermectin Man