Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: True Detective: Season 2 stars named

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Does it really matter if the killer/s are main characters or not?
    No, but knowing a little more about them and their side wouldn't hurt. Its subjective I'd say.

In the end of Season 1, they stumbled upon a guy making flowers on his sister wife and then shot him. There was a ton of build up about the Yellow King and he just ended up being a hillbilly nobody cousin of some preacher. Just would like a little bit more of the significance verified.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Season 2 is getting trashed in the press. Everyone seems to have hated Colin Farrel's and Vince Vaughn's performances. I have to admit that in the first couple of episodes I also had my doubts, but by the end of the season they had won me over. I increasingly found their characters quite believable. The show got better for me as it went on and I think the season ended with the cast doing their best work. Maybe the dialogue and the plot needed some help but it wasn't the actors' fault.

FWIW, the writing and storyline in Season One was just as weird but McConaughey absolutely nailed his character and he and Harrelson had such amazing chemistry that you didn't notice.
    Last edited by Runnin; 08-12-2015 at 09:59 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-16-2015)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Having a steady director for all eight episodes helped Season 1 tremendously. So even though it had weirdness, nothing ever felt out of place, and it just all ran so much more smoothly.

McAdams was great. Farrell was pretty good. Vaughn was fine, but nothing to write home about. He got better as it went along.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I'm still surprised Ray just gave up like that.

I don't think he fired any bullets from the rifle he was carrying only the pistol. He could've killed Burris, and one of the other guys, then paid off the other guy with all the money he had.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Not sure why Ray or Frank did half of the crap they did in the finale. Part of why it sucked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Not sure why Ray or Frank did half of the crap they did in the finale. Part of why it sucked.
    Because of their flaws. Every idiotic decision they made at the end was rooted in a flaw highlighted earlier in the season, often many times. That's one of the reasons why I called it honest.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

BRule (08-17-2015), jpx7 (08-16-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Finally got to see the last episode in its entirety and it was kind of predictable. Overall, I thought this year's story was better, but the characters in last year's story were more compelling. My only qualification on the story being better this year is that there were more red herrings than a Communist seafood store. Like I said in an earlier post, a lot of superfluous characters and angles. I would argue that the whole Woodrugh storyline wasn't needed to tell the story (although Taylor Kitsch did a good job with the character). One can argue that added to the intrigue in the classic noir sense and I can appreciate that angle. It was kind of an Occam's Razor story in that all the complexity gets blown away in the end and, in the end, it becomes a really basic story. For Frank and Ray, it just becomes a recognition of their just fate and they accept it. Did it come from the bargain they struck years ago or was it simply in their core natures? I guess that's for the tradgedians to determine.

A lot of folks didn't like Vince Vaughn's character, but I found Frank to be interesting. I used to bartend in a place that had more than a few petty offender wanna-be-big-guy types and Vaughn's portrayal reminded me of some of these guys. They dress it up a bit and spout some street "philosophy," but underneath it all, they are never going to be tough enough to handle the criminal equivalent of big league pitching.

Rachel McAdams showed a range that should serve her career quite well and outside of his portrayal of a country/western pretty boy in Crazy Heart, I can't think of the last time I found Colin Farrell's work disappointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    If they could somehow get Fairuza Balk and Milla Jovovich for season three, I would be grateful.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    If they could somehow get Fairuza Balk and Milla Jovovich for season three, I would be grateful.
    Nice to see Balk in Ray Donovan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Nice to see Balk in Ray Donovan.
    Is Ray Donovan any good? I haven't watched any of it yet but have considered downloading it.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Is Ray Donovan any good? I haven't watched any of it yet but have considered downloading it.
    Liev Schreiber is really good, as is Jon Voight (although it is really easy to hate Voight's character, which is kind of the point). Really good supporting cast (Eddie Marsan, Dash Mihok, Paula Malcomson, and others). Midway through the third season. I liked the first two seasons, but the creator/producer got bounced by Showtime and a new team was brought in. Third season is a lot more straightforward (and thus far less violent, although still violent) than the first two seasons. I'd give it a watch. Only warning is that Voight's character (Ray's father) is such a manipulative trainwreck that you will want to reach through the screen and strangle him at junctures.