Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor league thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

Minor league thread

Figure we can all chip in and post how our prospects are doing. Nobody could ever do it like Rico did.

Our best 2 offensive prospects Harris and Grissom are both off to hot starts so far. If Harris keeps on hitting I could see him getting a mid season call up.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-15-2022), gamecock4braves (04-14-2022), JohnAdcox (04-19-2022), mfree80 (04-14-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,674 Posts
    Jenesta hitting well

Any word on waters' return?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Harris is interesting. His "triple" last night was a grounder to the right of the second baseman that rolled almost all the way to the wall. At the MLB level that grounder likely gets gobbled up by the shift.

To me, the next step for Harris is to stop hitting so many grounders, so a groundball "triple" isn't a highlight. The average MLB GB rate is about 43%, so ideally he brings his down from ~50% and turns those supposedly good exit velocities into more impactful PAs.

I suspect we see Harris in a couple months when Snit gets tired of watching Rosario and Duvall out there.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-14-2022 at 10:14 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-15-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,471 Posts
    No one look at Ryan Cusick's debut start at Double A last night.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    No one look at Ryan Cusick's debut start at Double A last night.
    Big deal. All he did was strikeout 8 in 5 innings. So what? 💔😂😢

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,313 Posts
    Cusick and Lango are off to strong starts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,674 Posts
    If it makes you feel any better...
    Pache
    0.0% bb, 31.6% k
    .263/263/.316
    .385 babip
    66 wRC+

ZIPs projects 1.0 fWAR

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Cusick and Lango are off to strong starts.
    Umm. So is Matt Olson...to be fair ;-)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-14-2022), JohnAdcox (04-19-2022), jpx7 (04-15-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Harris is interesting. His "triple" last night was a grounder to the right of the second baseman that rolled almost all the way to the wall. At the MLB level that grounder likely gets gobbled up by the shift.

To me, the next step for Harris is to stop hitting so many grounders, so a groundball "triple" isn't a highlight. The average MLB GB rate is about 43%, so ideally he brings his down from ~50% and turns those supposedly good exit velocities into more impactful PAs.

I suspect we see Harris in a couple months when Snit gets tired of watching Rosario and Duvall out there.
    we've agreed on this before, but we are close to a plan where Harris has to hit.

The question is what does hit mean? Riley, even without an extension looks like he'll get expensive quickly in arbitration. Maybe they could spend a lot less money in the pen w/o Jansen and Smith, but AA seems to be looking toward the playoffs with moves like that. The roster is getting expensive.

Harris does not have a lot of loft in his swing. He's still pretty young.

To me, Harris hitting does not mean he has to be a star. If they think a star is possible maybe they need to be slower with him and not over expose him. I don't see star from him. It seems like everyone expects him to be a good CF. Not Pache, but good. He seems to have a hit tool that Pache will never have. Solid speed and from the left side. I think with MLB changing the balls and small parks, Harris will hit more HR in the majors than the minors. Seems to have a good approach. If he can have an OBP over 333, I think he'd have a good chance to be a 2 WAR player next year. I'd take that as a hit. He could hold down the 9th spot unless we keep Dansby or replace Dansby on the cheap. Then dream that he develops into more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Big deal. All he did was strikeout 8 in 5 innings. So what? ������
    I did not love the deal. I thought we gave up too much. But I've moved on and Olson looks very good. What FF was demanding from us was a ton.

Cusick I just don't believe in. Maybe I'll be wrong. But I think he's a relief pitcher, but maybe a high leverage one. Lango was the one I didn't think we should have given up. At least not Lango and Pache, but what do I know?

Of course I'd rather have given up the other WF first rounder we picked.

RIght now it looks like the Braves are just going to draft College arms that throw hard with their first round pick every year, so he's replaceable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Pache hit a HR just this way last game.

Never say never !
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    we've agreed on this before, but we are close to a plan where Harris has to hit.

The question is what does hit mean? Riley, even without an extension looks like he'll get expensive quickly in arbitration. Maybe they could spend a lot less money in the pen w/o Jansen and Smith, but AA seems to be looking toward the playoffs with moves like that. The roster is getting expensive.

Harris does not have a lot of loft in his swing. He's still pretty young.

To me, Harris hitting does not mean he has to be a star. If they think a star is possible maybe they need to be slower with him and not over expose him. I don't see star from him. It seems like everyone expects him to be a good CF. Not Pache, but good. He seems to have a hit tool that Pache will never have. Solid speed and from the left side. I think with MLB changing the balls and small parks, Harris will hit more HR in the majors than the minors. Seems to have a good approach. If he can have an OBP over 333, I think he'd have a good chance to be a 2 WAR player next year. I'd take that as a hit. He could hold down the 9th spot unless we keep Dansby or replace Dansby on the cheap. Then dream that he develops into more.
    If Riley has a good season I think they get an extension done this off season. Dansby they’ll let walk imo and go for a bigger bat there. Harris has a good eye and makes good contact. If they can get his launch angle up then skies the limit.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2022), jpx7 (04-15-2022)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I think they are hoping Harris can come up mid-season and takeover CF. That means (hopefully) a platoon in LF with DuVall/Rosario.

Strengthens the bench with an Acuna, Harris, DuVall/Rosario OF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    If Harris becomes the next Adam Eaton I think we'd all be ecstatic, which could happen if the HR power never develops.

It's obviously too early to peg him as anything, but he is very likely to be an MLB contributor. He and Lango were the only such guys in the system.

I was bummed to see Lango go.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,313 Posts
    Shewmake is back.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    In Augusta, Royber Salinas one upped Cusick with a 5 inning, 1 hit, 13 strikeout performance. Noice!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-15-2022), jpx7 (04-15-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Brooks Wilson to have TJS. That sucks. He was one of the more interesting prospects coming into the year for me. He was probably looking at a few BP appearances in ATL this year.
    Last edited by Carp; 04-15-2022 at 05:32 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-15-2022), JohnAdcox (04-19-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Riley has a good season I think they get an extension done this off season. Dansby they’ll let walk imo and go for a bigger bat there. Harris has a good eye and makes good contact. If they can get his launch angle up then skies the limit.
    An upgrade from Dansby is probably going to cost 30+ million for 5+ years. Or a trade that would have to include Harris.

The team stepped up the payroll this year. I'm not sure how high it will go. Lots of guys are getting expensive (Fried). We need some cheap production if we are being realistic. This is a normal thing, most teams cannot keep the window open forever b/c the costs start to add up. Can't have a stud at every position.

For minor leagues it looks like there are some options for cheap, non scrub production. But there are not many and they are not that likely.

Shewmake at SS
    Harris at CF
    Contreras at C
    Elder, Muller, Strider as back end starters and Muller/Strider as impact RPs. Maybe Touki.

Dansby and Duvall are reasonably expensive, FA and flawed. Jansen and Will Smith are expensive.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Paying huge dollars for BP arms like Jansen and Smith are poor uses of payroll. That's one area of roster construction AA can probably improve upon.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (04-15-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    An upgrade from Dansby is probably going to cost 30+ million for 5+ years. Or a trade that would have to include Harris.

The team stepped up the payroll this year. I'm not sure how high it will go. Lots of guys are getting expensive (Fried). We need some cheap production if we are being realistic. This is a normal thing, most teams cannot keep the window open forever b/c the costs start to add up. Can't have a stud at every position.

For minor leagues it looks like there are some options for cheap, non scrub production. But there are not many and they are not that likely.

Shewmake at SS
    Harris at CF
    Contreras at C
    Elder, Muller, Strider as back end starters and Muller/Strider as impact RPs. Maybe Touki.

Dansby and Duvall are reasonably expensive, FA and flawed. Jansen and Will Smith are expensive.
    They made an offer to Correa so the money is there.