Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potential SP Trade Targets

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The point is not that Morton is bad, and nobody could have predicted it, which is only partially true (he's 38 and coming off a broken leg for crying out loud).

The point is the team went into the season with 3 legit SP options.

Guys get hurt all the time. Guys become ineffective all the time. It is a given in baseball, especially with pitchers.

The fact AA thought he could go into a title defense season with 3 real SPs and a bunch of crap to throw at the wall, knowing they would use a 6 man rotation, was a roster building mistake. He is lucky Wright seems to have figured it out and helped fill the massive gap in the rotation.

So instead he added to an already strong BP, and left huge gaping holes in the OF and rotation.
    I thought he addressed this in interview. They wanted a sp. there was not one available on the market (post lock out). No trades they liked. So they added to the pen instead.

Who did you want them to add?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    The point is not that Morton is bad, and nobody could have predicted it, which is only partially true (he's 38 and coming off a broken leg for crying out loud).

The point is the team went into the season with 3 legit SP options.

Guys get hurt all the time. Guys become ineffective all the time. It is a given in baseball, especially with pitchers.

The fact AA thought he could go into a title defense season with 3 real SPs and a bunch of crap to throw at the wall, knowing they would use a 6 man rotation, was a roster building mistake. He is lucky Wright seems to have figured it out and helped fill the massive gap in the rotation.

So instead he added to an already strong BP, and left huge gaping holes in the OF and rotation.
    I mean, with our limited budget, what was the alternative to fixing the OF and the rotation? There were no obvious upgrades out there for prices we could afford. If we didn't pay Duvall, who was going to play CF? If we didn't sign Rosario, who was a viable alternative that would have been better? The rotation options were discussed but none ever seemed realistic or like an upgrade, again based on our budget and resources.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I mean, with our limited budget, what was the alternative to fixing the OF and the rotation? There were no obvious upgrades out there for prices we could afford. If we didn't pay Duvall, who was going to play CF? If we didn't sign Rosario, who was a viable alternative that would have been better? The rotation options were discussed but none ever seemed realistic or like an upgrade, again based on our budget and resources.
    We offered Correa and Verlander a contract so the budget wasn’t much of a thing. Outside of those 2 there wasn’t a clear upgrade to sign.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-10-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We offered Correa and Verlander a contract so the budget wasn’t much of a thing. Outside of those 2 there wasn’t a clear upgrade to sign.
    Did AA actually say he offered those 2 a contract or was that writer speculation or was it floated by those players agents to run up the price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Did AA actually say he offered those 2 a contract or was that writer speculation or was it floated by those players agents to run up the price?
    I don’t think AA would ever come out and say he offered somebody something like that. FF doesn’t count bc of all the drama and ties to the team.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I do not understand lots of the stats that have become so prominent so help me out here. Just how bad is Wil Myers in comparison to our other sub standard OFers? Padres are loaded with excess SPs as has been mentioned so what kind of deal (if acceptable) would it take to get say Snell and not give up any of the few prospects on board? How much money would Padres be expected to eat?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Myers is pretty bad

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think the GM is pretty good at what he does, as is the manager.

If two of your top 3 struggle your rotation is going to struggle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the GM is pretty good at what he does, as is the manager.

If two of your top 3 struggle your rotation is going to struggle.
    Right, but when 1 of your top 3 is 38 and coming off a broken leg, you might want to protect against him struggling a bit more than usual.

When you know you are going to use a 6 man rotation, suddenly your top 3 only represents half the starts.

AA is not above criticism.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    The OF is 14th in fWAR. Duvall's defense and the recent contributions of Acuna have helped the struggling of the SSS.

I think folks may want to look at the actual numbers for the different units on this team...

SPs are #23 in WAR.

BP is #4 in WAR.

OF is #30 (holy hell) in WAR.

While the OF is bad, the rotation has also been bad. Fixing these units are not mutually exclusive. The difference between those 2 units is the Braves have a Top 5 player they just plugged back into the OF, and a prospect who is probably capable of producing soon. The SP options are...let's call them underwhelming.

Assuming this team makes the playoffs, and therefor doesn't need another SP option, is a great way to miss the playoffs entirely.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I do not understand lots of the stats that have become so prominent so help me out here. Just how bad is Wil Myers in comparison to our other sub standard OFers? Padres are loaded with excess SPs as has been mentioned so what kind of deal (if acceptable) would it take to get say Snell and not give up any of the few prospects on board? How much money would Padres be expected to eat?
    Myers has only had 59 plate appearances this year but his production has basically been what you've seen Duvall do so far this year. So not good...lol

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    The OF is 14th in fWAR. Duvall's defense and the recent contributions of Acuna have helped the struggling of the SSS.
    OF is still very much last in fWAR at -1 fWAR overall. SP has bumped up to 20th with the recent good starts from Fried and Morton. BP has bumped up to a tie for 2nd thanks to Strider kicking some ass among most everyone else there dominating.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Link for me if you have time?

I obviously went to the wrong part of fangraphs

Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    OF is still very much last in fWAR at -1 fWAR overall. SP has bumped up to 20th with the recent good starts from Fried and Morton. BP has bumped up to a tie for 2nd thanks to Strider kicking some ass among most everyone else there dominating.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    The team is 13-9 when one of our four main starters pitch. The team is 1-7 when one of the 5th/6th starters pitch. This is telling me those four guys need to pitch more, and need to skip the 5th man on off days, the 6th man should never return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    The team is 13-9 when one of our four main starters pitch. The team is 1-7 when one of the 5th/6th starters pitch. This is telling me those four guys need to pitch more, and need to skip the 5th man on off days, the 6th man should never return.
    We have a nice pen... use 5th day as a pen game

17. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-10-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Link for me if you have time?

I obviously went to the wrong part of fangraphs
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ate=2022-12-31

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Perhaps. Or perhaps the 4 SPs wouldn't perform as well without that extra rest.

The point of contention isn't whether the Braves should use 4, 5 or 6 SPs (load management is something I think AA stole directly from LA, and the Braves have been doing an excellent job with it...for pitchers at least). The point of contention is that AA knew the Braves would be using 6, and he still didn't get another legit SP, thus allowing 8 starts to be taken by horrible options...leading to that 1-7 mark in those games.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-10-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Right, but when 1 of your top 3 is 38 and coming off a broken leg, you might want to protect against him struggling a bit more than usual.

When you know you are going to use a 6 man rotation, suddenly your top 3 only represents half the starts.

AA is not above criticism.

Other than not signing a scrap heap veteran, I'm not sure I would have done much differently as far as SP.

I was not too crazy about the OF - probably should have remembered that those guys were available for nothing at the deadline.

I'm afraid Freddy probably froze them and then they had to do some things for fans that maybe they wouldn't have otherwise done. But all in all not a great market for what the Braves are weak in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Reds are willing to move Castillo and Mahle now.

Question is how much do you value them and what will they cost? We don't have much to trade. Mahle may have just been a flash in the pan last year. Castillo has had some big swings in value and some injuries IIRC.

Getting out of Reds park is a bonus for any pitcher. Harris I would not move for either guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Harris is untouchable in any of this. At least to me.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-10-2022)