Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential SP Trade Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts

Potential SP Trade Targets

MLBTR just did a good breakdown of most of the SPs likely to be available at the deadline: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...is-summer.html

I spent the entire off season hoping AA would get another legit SP option. He did not, and instead elected to throw the proven Fried/Morton/Anderson trio and a collection of misfit toys out there. So far, here are how the 5 main guys have performed (by xwOBA):

Wright .277
    Fried .299
    Anderson .315
    Morton .376
    Elder .410

As of right now, the MLB average xwOBA is .329. That's the highest in the Statcast era, but not egregiously so (it has fluctuated between .310-.324 since 2015).

So the Braves have Wright and Fried performing like TOR guys (especially lately for Fried), Anderson performing like the #3 he is, Morton struggling with his breaking ball command, and Elder being not good...at all. Had the names Morton and Wright been flipped on this list it would be very close to what I would have predicted from these guys coming into the season. Either way, the Braves have 3 guys performing well as expected, even if it isn't necessarily the 3 guys we all expected.

While expect Wright will not continue to pitch like an Ace, and Morton won't continue to pitch like a AAAA guy, the Braves need to get another SP. If the Mets add deGrom and the Braves keep letting Elder pitch...well...that's not a winning strategy.

Who on that list makes sense? I suspect AA has more cash than prospect capital to spend (there is very little prospect capital left to spend), so I expect him to get a decent SP serving as a bit of a salary dump.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Snell and Darvish would be the 2 I’d be most interested in bc they’d be more of a salary dump. Snell has 1 more year after this one and hasn’t been that great since being traded away from TB but I’d take a shot on him.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 05-05-2022 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    It's actually interesting. Over the past few years, I felt we had a team that was more built for the regular season than the playoffs. This season, it feels like the opposite. Our big 4 (barring injuries) and bullpen plays perfect for the playoffs. I expect AA to have that in mind when deciding who to acquire.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    So what SP on teams we know won’t be playoff contenders have a SP that is legit that can had?
    There is literally a link to a MLBTR article that lists such pitchers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    It's actually interesting. Over the past few years, I felt we had a team that was more built for the regular season than the playoffs. This season, it feels like the opposite. Our big 4 (barring injuries) and bullpen plays perfect for the playoffs. I expect AA to have that in mind when deciding who to acquire.
    What's funny is one of the interviews AA gave at the end of ST/start of the season said that last year his goal was to make a team that would perform well in the playoffs and got hurt with the lack of depth needed in the regular season. And that his goal was to not have that happen again this year....Whooops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    There is literally a link to a MLBTR article that lists such pitchers
    Oops lol. Didn’t even notice the link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What's funny is one of the interviews AA gave at the end of ST/start of the season said that last year his goal was to make a team that would perform well in the playoffs and got hurt with the lack of depth needed in the regular season. And that his goal was to not have that happen again this year....Whooops.
    But on this note. You see we were one of the few teams who stuck with a 6 man rotation through all of April. I'll be curious to see how injuries begin mounting for SPs over the course of the year. Especially since their was a shortened Spring Training

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But on this note. You see we were one of the few teams who stuck with a 6 man rotation through all of April. I'll be curious to see how injuries begin mounting for SPs over the course of the year. Especially since their was a shortened Spring Training
    That's a fair point. If it leads to the rotation being healthy and pitching well late into the season then so be it. But damn has it been hard watching the likes of Elder/Muller/Ynoa back to back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    What's best case for soroka?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What's best case for soroka?
    I don’t see him starting this year. If he’s throwing and throwing well in rehab stints then maybe he could be an opener come the playoffs.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t see him starting this year. If he’s throwing and throwing well in rehab stints then maybe he could be an opener come the playoffs.
    Have there been any updates on Soroka? I haven't seen anything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1967 View Post
    Have there been any updates on Soroka? I haven't seen anything
    He’s been playing long toss I know. Not sure what else besides physical therapy.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I still think the most likely scenario is that Alex stands pat - while I would agree that Wright's not going to remain THIS good, we're talking about finding a guy for the 5th slot in the rotation. Unless someone decides to just "give someone away", not only does he not have the pieces to get into a bidding war for an arm with limited control - he probably doesn't have the stomach for it either. If you can get Strider stretched out enough to give you 4 or more innings each time through - and none of the guys in Gwinnett (or Shuster) take a step forward to be someone you can count on for that - use Chavez as an Opener and follow him with Strider.

He's really under the radar, but the potential rental in that article that interests me most is probably Eovaldi - he has enough stuff and experience to allow Wright to become a number 5 if he regresses substantially. The problem with him is I don't think Chaim Bloom would take a AAAA arm and a lottery ticket for him. If Alex actually does go after another SP, I hope I'm wrong about that.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-05-2022 at 05:30 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I still think the most likely scenario is that Alex stands pat - while I would agree that Wright's not going to remain THIS good, we're talking about finding a guy for the 5th slot in the rotation. Unless someone decides to just "give someone away", not only does he not have the pieces to get into a bidding war for an arm with limited control - he probably doesn't have the stomach for it either. If you can get Strider stretched out enough to give you 4 or more innings each time through - and none of the guys in Gwinnett (or Shuster) take a step forward to be someone you can count on for that - use Chavez as an Opener and follow him with Strider.

He's really under the radar, but the potential rental in that article that interests me most is probably Eovaldi - he has enough stuff and experience to allow Wright to become a number 5 if he regresses substantially. The problem with him is I don't think Chaim Bloom would take a AAAA arm and a lottery ticket for him. If Alex actually does go after another SP, I hope I'm wrong about that.
    Like the article says, SD will have to may SP in a month and somebody will have to go. Darvish has 2 years and 40 million left so it probably wouldn’t take much to get him. Him or Snell would be my pick. I’d rather have Castillo but we don’t have the pieces to get him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    “Will have too many SPs” almost never actually happens.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-06-2022), jpx7 (05-06-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Victor Vodnik is your man…. Just saying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Are we still trying to develop Vodnik as a starter? He's only been a reliever this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Give me Stroman, Darvish (maybe Snell), or Mahle (needs to get his slider back working again)... I'd love Montas or Castillo but we don't have the prospects to comfortably trade for those guys.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Fair question. We certainly better be- unless they think he is next kimbrel

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    I still like Touki over Elder and Ynoa.
    I’m sure he will end up being a BP arm but I still don’t understand why Elder got the first crack over him considering his stuff is so mediocre

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzworm For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-06-2022)