Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks Like I'll Have My First Ice Storm Tomorrow

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts

Looks Like I'll Have My First Ice Storm Tomorrow

Not looking to the prospect of about 1/4 inch accumulation of ice. My butt is staying home tomorrow.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Sounds miserabke, Stay warm and stay safe. Guess the positive is you'll have lots of time to muse over your mocks.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Not looking to the prospect of about 1/4 inch accumulation of ice. My butt is staying home tomorrow.
    wuss

Aaverage daily temp this month is below zero. Right now it is -13 going to be -24 with a windchill around -45 to -50. Try snowblowing in this weather like I have done, no matter how much clothing you have on, frost bite will bite you in the ass. Coming inside with purple toes and fingers is something I wouldn't wish on anyone in here. Ask 50 about our weather.

Again, you are a wuss :).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Sounds miserabke, Stay warm and stay safe. Guess the positive is you'll have lots of time to muse over your mocks.

Very true.

wuss

Aaverage daily temp this month is below zero. Right now it is -13 going to be -24 with a windchill around -45 to -50. Try snowblowing in this weather like I have done, no matter how much clothing you have on, frost bite will bite you in the ass. Coming inside with purple toes and fingers is something I wouldn't wish on anyone in here. Ask 50 about our weather.

Call me what you want, but when you live where you don't see this type of weather, don't think I want to be on the roads with a bunch of people who aren't used to it either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (01-27-2014)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Don't let them get to you CC, even the damndest of Yankees are scared sh!tless of an ice storm. We've had a couple down here in SE OK, one REALLY bad one back in 2000, the whole area (trees, etc.) looked like pictures I've seen of your neck of the woods after Katrina went through there sans residual white stuff. 1/4 inch isn't all that bad though, as long as it stays to that amount or less it shouldn't be too bad (we had 3/4" to close to 1 full inch of ice back then and 5 or 6 inches of the snow/sleet/ice all over the ground as well). The biggest danger, as you have pointed out, is the danger of crazy SOBs who panic and drive like they're trying to escape inner city Detroit on the slick roads. Take your own advice and stay home tomorrow. You'll be fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (01-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    AA isn't a Yankee, he's a great lake stater, which means they think they invented winter weather.

I wouldn't want an ice storm. I hate that kind of weather way more than snow. New Hampshire winter weather is way easier to handle than New Jersey. Snow is light and fluffy so it plows easy. Don't have that nasty slush mix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    One of the Mobile TV stations is projecting 0.4 of an inch of ice in Mobile. Um, that's high enough. Bit too high for my liking.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    One of the Mobile TV stations is projecting 0.4 of an inch of ice in Mobile. Um, that's high enough. Bit too high for my liking.
    Yeah, if you start getting up close to 1/2 inch that's a whole nother ballgame!! Oh and Zeet, is AA not "yankee enough" for you??? ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    AA is about as Yankee as you Okie.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    wuss

I'm almost in your boat: -6 F with a -30 wind-factor when I walked home from work, and that was only around 6:30pm.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'm almost in your boat: -6 F with a -30 wind-factor when I walked home from work, and that was only around 6:30pm.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    AA isn't a Yankee, he's a great lake stater, which means they think they invented winter weather.

I wouldn't want an ice storm. I hate that kind of weather way more than snow. New Hampshire winter weather is way easier to handle than New Jersey. Snow is light and fluffy so it plows easy. Don't have that nasty slush mix.
    I'm just to the west of AA about an hour and a half and while we didn't invent winter, we sure have perfected it.

My daughters are living in NYC right now and they laughed at how the place went batsh*t last week with the cold/snow/cold pattern.

My worry for you folks in the South is that your homes, roads, and local governments just aren't built for this sh*t. Somebody could probably make a killing with a semi full of road salt and ice melt. We get an ice storm or two every year and once a decade, we'll get something like you're going to get. So take care of yourself down there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The difference between nowhereville Minnesota and major metropolitan areas is that there's a lot of people. Sure there's also the issue of it not happening too often but if you take NJ where there's a lot of people in a small area and then add that snow doesn't happen all too often so most of those people don't have proper snow tires and makes the plowing municipally (DOT handles the major highways which are almost always clean and clean in a relative hurry)

NYC the issue has to do with the amount of walking traffic that a significant amount of snow and people who aren't clearing off their sidewalk (or having a place to clear it to) can make walking almost impossible.

Every area has it's problems. And you're built to handle your personal area. When its 85 and you're dying of the "heat" in Minnesota, I'm sure CC would be chuckling. Though I think we can all laugh at LA crying about how 50 and rainy is terrible winter weather.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yeah CC, looks like I"m getting that crap today as well. Be safe, homie

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The difference between nowhereville Minnesota and major metropolitan areas is that there's a lot of people. Sure there's also the issue of it not happening too often but if you take NJ where there's a lot of people in a small area and then add that snow doesn't happen all too often so most of those people don't have proper snow tires and makes the plowing municipally (DOT handles the major highways which are almost always clean and clean in a relative hurry)

NYC the issue has to do with the amount of walking traffic that a significant amount of snow and people who aren't clearing off their sidewalk (or having a place to clear it to) can make walking almost impossible.

Every area has it's problems. And you're built to handle your personal area. When its 85 and you're dying of the "heat" in Minnesota, I'm sure CC would be chuckling. Though I think we can all laugh at LA crying about how 50 and rainy is terrible winter weather.
    z,we've got about 4 million folks living in the seven-county metropolitan area that surrounds Minneapolis and St. Paul, so there's a lot of folks here and the road system is chronically underbuilt, so if there's six inches of snow, a 30-minute commute becomes a two-hour commute. We're just equipped to get rid of the stuff once it is down a lot better than places that aren't accustomed to it.

I have no trouble with 85, but it's been hitting 100 with some regularity up here in the summer.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (01-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Took a look on my patio a little while ago. My patio furniture has an icy glaze and my car has icicles hanging from it. Can't say I've ever seen this before down here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Today has been a day to remember. Started with the freezing rain that started around 10:00 this morning. It stayed that way until around 2:00. After that, basically continuous sleet for about four or five hours. Probably half-inch to one inch of sleet accumulated in my yard. It really looks like snow on the ground. The lights from the street are reflecting off of it. One of the neatest things I've ever seen.

Now the travel problems are well underway. We have tractor-trailers that are having trouble getting through the I-10 tunnel in Downtown Mobile because of the icy roads. All the highways are an icy mess. It's so bad, the county told the workers trying to work on the roads to stop because they were unsafe. What a day.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

Very true.

wuss

Call me what you want, but when you live where you don't see this type of weather, don't think I want to be on the roads with a bunch of people who aren't used to it either.

just ribbing you CC. I don't like being in it, or driving in it myself. I get white knuckles driving on that ****.

Another -35 to -45 night tonight and we were ordered to keep our heaters to be set at 60 degrees, OUCH!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    just ribbing you CC. I don't like being in it, or driving in it myself. I get white knuckles driving on that ****.

I know you were. After hearing some of the reports tonight, I'm glad I'm smart enough to know to stay home

Another -35 to -45 night tonight and we were ordered to keep our heaters to be set at 60 degrees, OUCH!!!

I may like the cold, but NO THANKS!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I know you were. After hearing some of the reports tonight, I'm glad I'm smart enough to know to stay home

I may like the cold, but NO THANKS!
    Saw the news stories this morning and they made me feel bad about the little ribbing I gave you Alabamans yesterday. What a mess! Abandoned vehicles all over the main roads and a woman giving birth because she couldn't get to the hospital.

Stay safe down there Crimson.