Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Academics Leftists and Elitists Need to Treat Ordinary Americans With Respect

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    912 Posts
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/ivy-lea...nion_lead_pos2

Many protesters on and near campus wear masks or kaffiyehs to disguise their identities. Students have to walk through a gauntlet to get to class. The protesters carry banners calling to “Honor the Martyrs of Palestine” and a sign pointing to pro-Israel counterprotesters as “al-Qasam’s next targets.” Al-Qassam is the military wing of Hamas. That’s a call to kill Jews.

This crisis in liberal education has been decades in the making. These schools have sown the intolerance their students are demonstrating by putting identity and left-wing politics above the free exchange of ideas. A progressive faculty monoculture has fueled divisive narratives blaming the Middle East’s ills on colonialism and imperialism.

Antisemitism has too often been tolerated within Near Eastern Studies departments. On Oct. 8, 2023, Columbia professor Joseph Massad praised the “awesome” scenes of the Oct. 7 massacre “witnessed by millions of jubilant Arabs.” In 2018 Columbia professor Hamid Dabashi posted on Twitter (now X) that “Every dirty treacherous ugly and pernicious act happening in the world” could soon be traced to “the ugly name of Israel.”

The liberal elites who run these institutions seem to lack the moral self-confidence to stand up to these student bullies. College presidents have to take charge, restore order and protect Jewish students, or the trustees should fire them and find someone who will

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    That's true to a certain extent but that's not the point of the tweet.

I do hope Jews who support Palestine realize they aren't really looked at much differently in Hamas' eyes than how they look at the other Jews.

They would be killed in another Oct 7th event just like the zionists would be. It's dangerous supporting a people who's government are terrorists.
    And people that ascribe to a barbaric belief system which rewards killing innocent people for their god.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post

Many protesters on and near campus wear masks or kaffiyehs to disguise their identities. Students have to walk through a gauntlet to get to class. The protesters carry banners calling to “Honor the Martyrs of Palestine” and a sign pointing to pro-Israel counterprotesters as “al-Qasam’s next targets.” Al-Qassam is the military wing of Hamas. That’s a call to kill Jews.

This crisis in liberal education has been decades in the making. These schools have sown the intolerance their students are demonstrating by putting identity and left-wing politics above the free exchange of ideas. A progressive faculty monoculture has fueled divisive narratives blaming the Middle East’s ills on colonialism and imperialism.

Antisemitism has too often been tolerated within Near Eastern Studies departments. On Oct. 8, 2023, Columbia professor Joseph Massad praised the “awesome” scenes of the Oct. 7 massacre “witnessed by millions of jubilant Arabs.” In 2018 Columbia professor Hamid Dabashi posted on Twitter (now X) that “Every dirty treacherous ugly and pernicious act happening in the world” could soon be traced to “the ugly name of Israel.”

The liberal elites who run these institutions seem to lack the moral self-confidence to stand up to these student bullies. College presidents have to take charge, restore order and protect Jewish students, or the trustees should fire them and find someone who will

This is much safer than a staged tiki torch march thats for sure!
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And people that ascribe to a barbaric belief system which rewards killing innocent people for their god.
    Hey, good to see you again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts

That common sense is sorely lacking in this academic class.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    These idiots have no idea what Hamas would do to them, especially with what they would do to the girls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    These idiots have no idea what Hamas would do to them, especially with what they would do to the girls.
    Its the same bull**** with Native Americans - Just ignore all the atrocities they were committing before the evil white man came.

This is just all a way to hate white people and specifically straight white men. Its what its all been about from the very beginning and people like BL know that and support it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    They gotta get that social credit score up
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,327 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its not hard to imagine the same people that believe Trump said to inject bleach into your veins would believe that Hamas are righteous soldiers of truth.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    912 Posts
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ts-in-the-bud/

The strategy of campus organizers parallels that of Hamas. That is, they want to break the rules, ignore all warnings, and provoke a reaction that will produce images they can portray as an overreaction to elicit more sympathy for their cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    What a bunch of listless losers
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ts-in-the-bud/

The strategy of campus organizers parallels that of Hamas. That is, they want to break the rules, ignore all warnings, and provoke a reaction that will produce images they can portray as an overreaction to elicit more sympathy for their cause.

eh...i think you are overattributing rational and strategic thinking and a unified approach to what is a pretty heterogenous group

at a minimum their tactics aren't well-designed if their purpose is to attract wider support for the Palestinian cause...which tells me that at least for a core group within the larger protest group there is probably some other goal
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-25-2024 at 07:34 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    eh...i think you are overattributing rational and strategic thinking and a unified approach to what is a pretty heterogenous group

at a minimum their tactics aren't well-designed if their purpose is to attract wider support for the Palestinian cause...which tells me that at least for a core group within the larger protest group there is probably some other goal
    Fine people on both sides....
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,799 Posts
    Law and order for thee presidents, but not mee professors!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    On Wednesday morning, on a corner across the street from Columbia University, a man dressed in black, a huge gold cross around his neck, brandished a sign that featured a bloodstained Israeli flag and the word “genocide” in capital letters. He was also shouting at the top of his lungs.

“The Jews control the world! Jews are murderers!”

I watched as a pro-Palestine protester approached the man. “That is horribly antisemitic,” she said. “You are hurting the movement and you are not a part of us. Go away.”

The man shouted vile, unprintable epithets back at her, but the woman, who told me she had come to New York from her home in Baltimore to support the protesting students, walked away.

Hours later, a well-known congressional reporter covering House Speaker Mike Johnson’s visit to Columbia’s campus posted a photograph of the same man. “One sign here at the Columbia protest,” the reporter, Jake Sherman, wrote. “This man is ranting about Jews controlling the universe.”

The man wasn’t “at the Columbia protest.” The university’s campus has been closed to outsiders for over a week — even as a journalist and an alumnus, I had trouble getting in. He was, several people on social media told Sherman, a well-known antisemitic crank completely unconnected from what was unfolding on campus. Indeed, last week I had seen a man wearing an identical cross carrying a similarly lettered sign that read, “Google it! Jews vs. TikTok” protesting outside Donald Trump’s criminal trial in Lower Manhattan. He was, for the record, standing on the pro-Trump side of the protest area.

But the incident is emblematic of how difficult it has become to make sense of what is actually happening on college campuses right now. As the protests have spread to dozens of campuses and counting, competing viral clips on social media paint vastly different versions of what’s happening inside these pro-Palestine camps. Are they violent conflict zones, filled with militant protesters who hurl antisemitic abuse and threaten Jewish students, requiring, as some political leaders have suggested, deployment of the National Guard? Or is it a giant love-fest of students braiding daisy chains and singing “Kumbaya”?

I tried to figure this out the only way I know how: by reporting. I happened to have been on campus on April 18, the day Columbia’s president, Minouche Shafik, decided to call in the New York Police Department to clear the protesters from campus, and I returned a week later to spend the day reporting on the protests and the mood on campus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/o...smid=url-share
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,799 Posts
    Definitely very fine people on both sides

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received