Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Trade Deadline

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Any chance to flipping Anderson+ for Castillo?

What would that look like?
    The time to sell high on Anderson is probably over. Just like we see how much he's struggled so does the entire league. I think our best bet is to have him figure things out and retain him as a cheap starter.

On another note, I don't really see the need for a high end starter. Seems like an expensive luxury. Where would he even fit in the playoff rotation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Striker has been pulling double duty posting here and in the politics forum.

I hope he doesn't wear down the rest of the way.
    No worries, I'm a machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    The time to sell high on Anderson is probably over. Just like we see how much he's struggled so does the entire league. I think our best bet is to have him figure things out and retain him as a cheap starter.

On another note, I don't really see the need for a high end starter. Seems like an expensive luxury. Where would he even fit in the playoff rotation?
    Have a feeling strider will be our Mariano Rivera this postseason. We may have to hedge against Matzek regressing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Have a feeling strider will be our Mariano Rivera this postseason. We may have to hedge against Matzek regressing.
    But even if the division is a coin flip right now, there is a good chance we end up in a 3 game playoff series to start. Who do you want to bump from the rotation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But even if the division is a coin flip right now, there is a good chance we end up in a 3 game playoff series to start. Who do you want to bump from the rotation?
    Maybe it’s a bad decision but I’m structuring the roster for 5/7 game series. If Wright has to be skipped then so be it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Haven’t heard David Robertson mentioned here much, but he’d be a good candidate for the pen. Would help Snit be able to use Minter or hopefully a revived Matzek in a big fifth-inning spot in the playoffs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I’m interested to see how Strider’s innings will be managed down the stretch along with what Soroka might be able to give us once he’s back. Will we see a situation where every five days, Soroka and Strider throw three innings apiece? Or Anderson and Strider if Soroka can build up and stay healthy? Either way, I don’t see AA grabbing a starter unless we have injuries or he thinks he can Houdini his way to a frontline one, which would likely involve trading Anderson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Merrifield has shown signs of heating up recently, much like Soler had been last summer. Maybe that career-low BABIP evening out some. AA might consider moving early on a move like that before the Royals think to ask for more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Since the Dodgers and Mets will likely be heavily in on the Castillo sweepstakes, what would it take for the Braves to potentially land him and Drury in the same trade? Anderson/Mueller/Davidson and one or two out of Waters/Grissom/Shewmake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don’t think we need the rotation help really. Any resources need to put into the bullpen and bench.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t think we need the rotation help really. Any resources need to put into the bullpen and bench.
    Well by upgrading the rotation, you in turn upgrade your pen. Come playoff time, you can move 1 or 2 guys to the pen. For instance, you can roll with Fried, Morton, new addition , then have Strider, Anderson, and Soroka move to the pen. I include Strider assuming we are going to scale back his workload.
    Get off my lawn!

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    A starting pitcher would be hard to get. We really don’t have that many trade chips. We’ve been lucky to have hit on a high percentage on Strider and Harris because we’re not that deep thanks to Manfred’s international BS. Everyone will want the few that are available and with the expanded wild cards only the worst teams are out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Well by upgrading the rotation, you in turn upgrade your pen. Come playoff time, you can move 1 or 2 guys to the pen. For instance, you can roll with Fried, Morton, new addition , then have Strider, Anderson, and Soroka move to the pen. I include Strider assuming we are going to scale back his workload.
    Wright has to be in there too. We don’t have the pieces to upgrade the rotation at the deadline imo. Yates is coming back and will help out. Strider might be the best reliever in the majors if put there. Muller could possibly come up and help the bullpen down the stretch too.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Heh, anyone we're talking about right now is on the radar. I'm thinking of someone controllable on a decent team that comes out of nowhere, and after we look at the trade, we'd be like, "Ehh, it kinda makes sense though!"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2022)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Everyone ALWAYS needs help in the rotation and the pen - it's baseball.

"You can never have enough pitching" should be considered the Eleventh Commandment.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-09-2022 at 01:29 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Wright has to be in there too. We don’t have the pieces to upgrade the rotation at the deadline imo. Yates is coming back and will help out. Strider might be the best reliever in the majors if put there. Muller could possibly come up and help the bullpen down the stretch too.
    You have absolutely no clue what you'll get from Yates - he's as big a question mark as Soroka at this point. To this point in his career Muller has shown he's a decent AAAA Pitcher - counting on guys like that lead to quick playoff exits.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Let’s just look at our ideal playoff roster from what we currently have internally

Lineup

Acuña RF
    Swanson SS
    Olson 1B
    Riley 3B
    Albies 2B
    d’Arnaud C
    Ozuna DH
    Rosario/Duvall LF
    Harris ll

Bench

Duvall/Rosario OF
    Contreras C
    Arcia SS
    Heredia OF

SP

Fried
    Soroka
    Morton
    Wright

Bulk

Anderson
    Lee

RP

Mchugh
    Chavez
    Matzek
    Yates
    Minter
    Strider

CL

Jansen

If everyone can stick then we’re really just looking to upgrade Heredia. Such a move makes sense as well due to our over load on OF. Rosario is our big lefty bat and Duvall can play CF if Harris goes down.

That said we need to find someone to push Duvall and Arcia for playing time. Preferably that could play CF. A competent 3rd catcher would help as well to get Contreras in the lineup more as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You have absolutely no clue what you'll get from Yates - he's as big a question mark as Soroka at this point. To this point in his career Muller has shown he's a decent AAAA Pitcher - counting on guys like that lead to quick playoff exits.
    Nope we don’t know but they still need to pitch so we can find out. We don’t have the resources to get a few studs right now. Fried, Morton, Wright is more than fine in a 5 game series. Add in Anderson or Strider for a 7 game series. Strider and Anderson come out of the bullpen in the 5 game series to lengthen the bullpen. I still think he’ll get a decent BP arm and a bench bat.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    No worries, I'm a machine.
    I know how much writing you do working as a lawyer.

Add on typing and posting as much as you do here.

I'm just trying to manage your workload to avoid tommy john.
    Forever Fredi

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think we have enough in the rotation but agree a BP piece from the right side, and someone for the bench/depth is all thats needed. No idea who AA will target for that.