Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Trade Deadline

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

2022 Trade Deadline

The trade deadline is coming up in a few weeks. The Braves have some relatively minor holes, possibly lots of cash to fill them, but very little prospect capital to deal.

Lots of names have been thrown around as targets...

Ian Happ - Signed for $6.9M this year, controlled for 2023 via arb for what will probably be ~$10M. Seems like a good candidate to fill in at 2B then slide to the OF if/when Albies returns. It's unlikely many teams will be fooled by his current .341 BABIP bosting his BA a bit, and this is likely his career year. Should cost something approximating a FV45 or low end 50 plus filler.

Whit Merrifield - Signed for $7M this year, and $2.75M plus $4M in incentives for 2023 with an $18M mutual option for 2024 that is almost certainly not going to be picked up by both sides. Like Happ, he could be the 2B/OF hybrid that fits this roster nicely. He's never been a great hitter (102 career wRC+ is almost exactly average), but his current bad results appear mostly due to a career low .263 BABIP. He is on the downside of his career, and should be a bit cheaper to acquire than Happ.

David Peralta - Signed for $7.3M this year. It seems like this guy has been a potential trade target for years, and that's because he offers what the Braves always seem to lack: MLB average offense in LF. Peralta is back to doing Peralta-type things this year. He should be fairly cheap to acquire, but only makes sense if Rosario fails to rebound after eye surgery, which is why it's imperative to get Rosario as close to 100 PAs as possible before the deadline.

Andrew Benintendi - Signed for $8.5M this year. He is pretty much the lower power higher OBP version of Peralta. He should be similarly cheap to acquire, and like Peralta, only makes sense if Rosario doesn't get back to form.

Brandon Drury - Signed for $900k this season. He appears to be the utility guy the Braves have always wanted guys like Camargo and Arcia to be (remember how painful it was watching them play OF?). Drury could fill in at 2B and then slide over to LF when Albies is back if Duvall/Rosario aren't getting it done. He can also fill in everywhere else. This may be the guy to target, and he might be a bit more expensive to acquire than first meets the eye.

Those are just the position players that caught my eye, and AA probably needs at least one high leverage RHP in the BP. I suspect the rotation will be deemed good enough that they won't look to add there.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022), NYCBrave (07-08-2022), The Chosen One (07-08-2022), UNCBlue012 (07-09-2022), weso1 (07-08-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Detroit has a few players that might make sense.

Schoop is a 2B on an affordable contract with a player option for next year that he probably declines. He’s been bad this year offensively, but he has a recent track record of success. Has never played the outfield, so YMMV whether he’s a fit. Provides good insurance for us in case Ozzie has complications coming back.

Meadows is a train wreck in the outfield, but he’s LH and young with solid upside (at least offensively). Controllable for the next three years.

Detroit has a lot of good arms in the bullpen as well (Fillmore, Soto, etc.).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d put Drury then Happ as my top 2.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Drury gonna come home.

Reliving the Golden Wren years.
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    The Rays are never shy about trading from their major league roster, especially guys that have guaranteed money.

Brandon Lowe could be perfect. Bats LH plays 2B/OF and cost controlled through 2026 (guaranteed $15m next two years). He is on the IL right now, but is expected back soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    The Rays are never shy about trading from their major league roster, especially guys that have guaranteed money.

Brandon Lowe could be perfect. Bats LH plays 2B/OF and cost controlled through 2026 (guaranteed $15m next two years). He is on the IL right now, but is expected back soon.
    Not so fast - Steven Matz hit him in the back of the head last night.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I'm predicting that AA will make a splash and it will be something we cannot predict, like getting a big-time starter that wasn't on anyone's radar.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I'm predicting that AA will make a splash and it will be something we cannot predict, like getting a big-time starter that wasn't on anyone's radar.
    Syndergaard. Gonna get him to really **** the Mets down the stretch

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Depending on what's considered "on anyone's radar" I think it's at least feasible that he includes Anderson to get a controllable guy like Castillo. He'd probably have to "back up the truck" to make it happen, but a Fried, Morton, Castillo, Wright, Strider rotation (with Strider shifting to the pen in the postseason) lines up with ANYBODY.

I don't really consider Castillo on my radar since I don't think Alex has the type of prospect package that will be required to get him, but if he's willing to include the three years of arbitration control over Anderson along with Muller (plus a sweetener if needed) might be enough to get him. If Anderson can get his act back together and Muller really has turned the corner pairing them with Greene and Lodolo ought to be pretty attractive for the Reds.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Syndergaard and Drury

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Syndergaard seems like the type of move the Dodgers make first.

Or if Dodgers go big and get Castillo, I could see AA swooping in for Noah to match the move.
    Forever Fredi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The SP FA class is pretty good this offseason so if we trade Anderson I’d rather it be in a deal for a legit LF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Just remember. Syndergaard was that one guy AA always regretted trading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I could see a Thor signing. The rotation will depend a lot on how Morton does down the stretch and how Soroka comes back. AA should be in a pretty good position this offseason to load the team up for a strong run the next few years.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Ian Anderson for Freddie Freeman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Any chance the marlins would trade wendle?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Any chance the marlins would trade wendle?
    I like this idea a lot. Marlins could be contenders for that last WC spot so I would be surprised if they were sellers.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-08-2022)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    We don't have a lot of trade chips we could realistically give uo so I don't know how we'd get a good SP unless it's a situation like Thor since he's on a fairly expensive one year deal. We could always use a bullpen arm or two and I suspect we'll get that. I don't know what to expect of Matzek going forward. The LF ideas make sense depending on what Rosario does.

I wish we could get a starting pitcher. I worry Striker may wear down. He's a power arm who hasn't pitched this much before. I don't really trust Anderson either. Soroka could be a wild card, but I don't have any expectations for him. It would be hard to for a guy who hasn't pitched in two years.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2022)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    We don't have a lot of trade chips we could realistically give uo so I don't know how we'd get a good SP unless it's a situation like Thor since he's on a fairly expensive one year deal. We could always use a bullpen arm or two and I suspect we'll get that. I don't know what to expect of Matzek going forward. The LF ideas make sense depending on what Rosario does.

I wish we could get a starting pitcher. I worry Striker may wear down. He's a power arm who hasn't pitched this much before. I don't really trust Anderson either. Soroka could be a wild card, but I don't have any expectations for him. It would be hard to for a guy who hasn't pitched in two years.
    Striker has been pulling double duty posting here and in the politics forum.

I hope he doesn't wear down the rest of the way.
    Forever Fredi

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-09-2022), striker42 (07-09-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Any chance to flipping Anderson+ for Castillo?

What would that look like?
    Natural Immunity Croc