Thread: Ozuna arrested on DUI charges?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe you drop him, and someone somehow takes him at half of the salary
    not sure what you are saying. We cut him and someone picks him up, then they only have to pay league min of his remaining salary.
    Coppy

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Bye Felicia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    The contract will not be voided. The best we can hope for is that MLB hands out a lengthy suspension (unpaid) for his repeated violations of the MLB conduct rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    not sure what you are saying. We cut him and someone picks him up, then they only have to pay league min of his remaining salary.
    Yeah, Nevermind. In my mind, I was thinking one of those DFA a guy and then you hear a trade for him. We send a prospect that isn't that great, they send back one even worse, and they pay half his salary. This was with the offseason being the timing. Maybe I'm just looking for something that can't even be done... I guess in my scenario, the DFa wouldn't be necessary

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    He could potentially still be under the court's diversion program for his initial case.

The Domestic Violence Case received a ONE YEAR diversion according to DOB. The terms of the diversion included a 6 month supervised probation.

What does that mean?

Well in non Criminal Lawyer terms for 6 months he had to go pee in a cup and check in with a PO. That part is over. But he still may be under the thumb of the court for the case. The new arrest may mess up his original agreement since he didn't complete it w/o any trouble.

I am totally going off of the words of DOB on a tweet. So if he screwed up on the length of the diversion don't blame me. (Lawyer disclaimer)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJC For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-19-2022), DirkPiggler (08-19-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah, Nevermind. In my mind, I was thinking one of those DFA a guy and then you hear a trade for him. We send a prospect that isn't that great, they send back one even worse, and they pay half his salary. This was with the offseason being the timing. Maybe I'm just looking for something that can't even be done... I guess in my scenario, the DFa wouldn't be necessary
    Once a DFA happen, you rarely see cash exchange hands because the team just has to bet no other team will claim him (which they wouldn’t in this case).

At this point, the Braves just have to assume they are liable for the whole contract and act accordingly. Does Ozuna help you more on the team or off the team? For now, I keep him until the end of season since the alternative in the immediacy is someone like Mike Ford. But I hope AA is allowed to cut bait with Ozuna this off-season and finds someone more versatile to fill that roster spot,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Once a DFA happen, you rarely see cash exchange hands because the team just has to bet no other team will claim him (which they wouldn’t in this case).

At this point, the Braves just have to assume they are liable for the whole contract and act accordingly. Does Ozuna help you more on the team or off the team? For now, I keep him until the end of season since the alternative in the immediacy is someone like Mike Ford. But I hope AA is allowed to cut bait with Ozuna this off-season and finds someone more versatile to fill that roster spot,
    I'd just try and keep Grossman if its less than 5 per year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    He could potentially still be under the court's diversion program for his initial case.

The Domestic Violence Case received a ONE YEAR diversion according to DOB. The terms of the diversion included a 6 month supervised probation.

What does that mean?

Well in non Criminal Lawyer terms for 6 months he had to go pee in a cup and check in with a PO. That part is over. But he still may be under the thumb of the court for the case. The new arrest may mess up his original agreement since he didn't complete it w/o any trouble.

I am totally going off of the words of DOB on a tweet. So if he screwed up on the length of the diversion don't blame me. (Lawyer disclaimer)
    Will be interesting to see, can't believe anything on the internet. I went back and read the AJC article from the day he received that sentence. It said it was a 6 month diversion program, which if completed would drop all charges. If he were to be arrested at anytime during the program, the prosecutors would send the case to trial.
    Get off my lawn!

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post

What does that mean?

When did the DV charge arise? If it was in the last two years (statute of limitations) it could be revived, even if it has been Nolle prossed (fancy language for a dismissal). Also, when it comes time to sentence him on the DUI charge, the underlying facts of the DV charge can be taken into consideration in aggravation of punishment.

The other elephant in the room is that (as I recall) a DV conviction (if the case is revived) can be used as a basis for deportation, as it is considered a violent offense, even though a misdemeanor.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Welcome to the Dominican Winter League and LF next spring young Mr. Grissom.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Obviously not the news we Braves fans wanted to hear the morning after a great three out of four series win over the Mets. For Ozuna the person, you hope and pray he can get his life turned around. Two arrests in as many years is not good, stating the obvious here. For Ozuna the player, this is a complicated situation for the Braves. His future is cloudy anyway just from the standpoint he hasn’t been in the lineup for a few days now. I don’t believe at the moment, his contract can be voided. So what next? First off, i don’t think he’d be on any postseason roster. What happens after the season? You release him and just basically eat that money or do you attempt to trade him and either send a good deal of cash to the team trading him or trade for another player with a rich contract? I saw a Twitter suggestion Ozuna to Arizona for Madison Bumgarner, for example. But this DUI combined with his domestic issues last year makes him a difficult player to trade since teams are going to be skittish with his off the field past.

The player issue will be worked out one way or the other. It’s the person Ozuna that is the primary concern.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Obviously not the news we Braves fans wanted to hear the morning after a great three out of four series win over the Mets. For Ozuna the person, you hope and pray he can get his life turned around. Two arrests in as many years is not good, stating the obvious here. For Ozuna the player, this is a complicated situation for the Braves. His future is cloudy anyway just from the standpoint he hasn’t been in the lineup for a few days now. I don’t believe at the moment, his contract can be voided. So what next? First off, i don’t think he’d be on any postseason roster. What happens after the season? You release him and just basically eat that money or do you attempt to trade him and either send a good deal of cash to the team trading him or trade for another player with a rich contract? I saw a Twitter suggestion Ozuna to Arizona for Madison Bumgarner, for example. But this DUI combined with his domestic issues last year makes him a difficult player to trade since teams are going to be skittish with his off the field past.

The player issue will be worked out one way or the other. It’s the person Ozuna that is the primary concern.
    He is untradable. and when people continue to do stupid things then I start to feel less and less bad for that person... it is not like he is broke trying to feed his family.. he is a multi millionare who only cares about himself and his own pleasures in life.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post

It's hard to feel too bad for a guy that has made over 70 million to this point with another 37 million coming his way minus whatever suspension he receives. For his sake, I hope he turns it around, but his future is pretty well set no matter if he plays ball again or not.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He is untradable. and when people continue to do stupid things then I start to feel less and less bad for that person... it is not like he is broke trying to feed his family.. he is a multi millionare who only cares about himself and his own pleasures in life.
    Not 100% untradeable. Situation is not too far off from the Hector Olivera situation. We eventually traded him to SD (who promptly released him) in exchange for Matt Kemp
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not 100% untradeable. Situation is not too far off from the Hector Olivera situation. We eventually traded him to SD (who promptly released him) in exchange for Matt Kemp
    The Braves took on $15m in salary once you offset Olivera’s contract and the money that exchanged hands. side bar Coppy had no idea what he was doing when acquiring big league players

I have no doubt we could trade Ozuna if we took on an even worse contract, but why would we want to do that?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    The Braves took on $15m in salary once you offset Olivera’s contract and the money that exchanged hands. side bar Coppy had no idea what he was doing when acquiring big league players

I have no doubt we could trade Ozuna if we took on an even worse contract, but why would we want to do that?
    Kemp did provide a little value while he was here, before we moved him. Granted that was during a rebuild. But if he could get a piece back then it is something to look at. But if not, just release him.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Did he do that fake selfie thing with the arresting officer?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-19-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Kemp did provide a little value while he was here, before we moved him. Granted that was during a rebuild. But if he could get a piece back then it is something to look at. But if not, just release him.
    The kemp deal was about moving the money up earlier in the calendar. He had more money per year but less years.

Maybe you could trade his 2/36 for a someone who was terrible but had a 1/40 deal.

I think it's the same deal I've been saying for a while.

You look into the offseason and see if someone would be willing to have him at 2/10. You eat the rest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Kemp was literally a below replacement level player both years in Atlanta.