Thread: GDT 9/6/22: Braves @ A’s - Olson’s Return

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    Fair enough. I would prefer Iglesias in the 9th even though it won’t happen. He’s just easier on my nerves lol
    Actually agree on Iglesias, he's probably setup for that role next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Actually agree on Iglesias, he's probably setup for that role next year.
    Pretty sure this is a 1 and done with Jansen. He came out and got his 1 year deal to play for his childhood favorite team. Got the warm and fuzzies, but no way I pay him $16m or so next season.

With us picking up of Igleasis' contract, the writing is on the wall.

Jansen probably returns to LA next season and/or calls it a career. A very good one at that.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Pretty sure this is a 1 and done with Jansen. He came out and got his 1 year deal to play for his childhood favorite team. Got the warm and fuzzies, but no way I pay him $16m or so next season.

With us picking up of Igleasis' contract, the writing is on the wall.

Jansen probably returns to LA next season and/or calls it a career. A very good one at that.
    Rosenthal posted an article on Kenley today. Kenley wants to pitch until he’s 40. His goal is 600 saves.

I imagine he does quite well jumping year to year to teams in need of someone to pick up saves.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Rosenthal posted an article on Kenley today. Kenley wants to pitch until he’s 40. His goal is 600 saves.

I imagine he does quite well jumping year to year to teams in need of someone to pick up saves.
    That would be 5 more seasons meaning he would have to average 43-44 saves per year. Taking out 2020 and estimating 38-40 this year, he has averaged 38 over the last 5 years. Unless he ages better than any pitcher in history… Good luck. It is possible I suppose.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    That would be 5 more seasons meaning he would have to average 43-44 saves per year. Taking out 2020 and estimating 38-40 this year, he has averaged 38 over the last 5 years. Unless he ages better than any pitcher in history… Good luck. It is possible I suppose.
    I don’t think he will get there, but it signals his intentions. I think the Braves are the first stop for late career journeyman Jansen.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don’t think he will get there, but it signals his intentions. I think the Braves are the first stop for late career journeyman Jansen.
    I want to be a late inning journeyman too. Doesn’t mean it will happen. He might close some next year but I don’t see him closing after next year. No team is going to put him in that spot. Not even rebuilding teams.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I want to be a late inning journeyman too. Doesn’t mean it will happen. He might close some next year but I don’t see him closing after next year. No team is going to put him in that spot. Not even rebuilding teams.
    Nope. He’ll never sniff that many saves. He’s gotten worse this year it seems. He’ll retire when he becomes middle relief.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Kenley overall has been fine this year. Old farts like Melancon, Bard, and Robertson are still getting save opportunities and Kenley’s better than all of them.

Kenley’s been this way for 5 years (even the extended slumps, Roberts yanked him out of the closers role a few times IIRC). I could easily see him linger around for 4 more years, especially if he’s willing to sign with some non contenders.