Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 Games To Go

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

25 Games To Go

Saw this on a Mets fan forum and thought it was funny.

Looking at the schedule, we have 25 games remaining. Those games are as follows:

3@ Seattle
    3@ San Francisco
    Day off
    3 vs Phillies
    3 vs Washington
    4@ Phillies
    3@ Washington
    Day off
    3 vs Mets
    3 @ Miami

My guess is , conservatively, we go 4-2 @ Seattle/San Fran, 4-2 vs Phllies/Washington, 5-2 @ Phillies/Washington, 3-3 vs Mets/@ Miami....so 16-9 over the final 25 leaves us a record of 102-60

Do you think that wins the division?
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I don't, unfortunately, because the Mets schedule is that much easier. I mean, it's REALLY soft. We'd need to keep playing absurdly to get it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I don't, unfortunately, because the Mets schedule is that much easier. I mean, it's REALLY soft. We'd need to keep playing absurdly to get it.
    For reference here are the Mets final games:

3 @ Miami
    3 vs Chicago
    4 vs Pirates
    3 @ Milwaukee
    Day off
    3 @ Oakland
    Day off
    2 vs Miami
    Day off
    3 @ Atlanta
    3 vs Washington

It is an easier schedule for sure, however, they will possibly be facing Alcantara twice and Burnes.

So if they go 2-1 @ Miami, 3-0 vs Cubs, 3-1 vs Pittsburgh, 2-1 vs Milwaukee, 2-0 @ Oakland, 1,1 vs Miami, 1-2 vs Atlanta, and 2-1 vs Washington that would put them at 103-59

Will be fascinating to see how both teams play leading up to the head to head matchup the last week of the season.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    No, i think the Mets are around 103-105. We need to go 7-2 over these next 9 games to stay on pace with them. Mets schedule is so ****ing soft this month, as Blue said. They'd have to really stumble to lose it or we finish something insane like 20-5/18-7.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    For reference here are the Mets final games:

3 @ Miami
    3 vs Chicago
    4 vs Pirates
    3 @ Milwaukee
    Day off
    3 @ Oakland
    Day off
    2 vs Miami
    Day off
    3 @ Atlanta
    3 vs Washington

It is an easier schedule for sure, however, they will possibly be facing Alcantara twice and Burnes.

So if they go 2-1 @ Miami, 3-0 vs Cubs, 3-1 vs Pittsburgh, 2-1 vs Milwaukee, 2-0 @ Oakland, 1,1 vs Miami, 1-2 vs Atlanta, and 2-1 vs Washington that would put them at 103-59

Will be fascinating to see how both teams play leading up to the head to head matchup the last week of the season.
    They avoid Alcantara this weekend, HOWEVER, DeGrom AND Scherzer are both not pitching so hopefully the Marlins can steal 1, and we take 2/3 from Seattle to stay even.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think we get to 110 wins and easily take the division... prove me wrong
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    No, i think the Mets are around 103-105. We need to go 7-2 over these next 9 games to stay on pace with them. Mets schedule is so ****ing soft this month, as Blue said. They'd have to really stumble to lose it or we finish something insane like 20-5/18-7.
    I'm hoping that replacing our worst hitter in the lineup with Albies will help add a jolt to the team.

Acuna DH
    Swanson SS
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    TdA/Contreras C
    Albies 2B
    Grissom LF
    Harris CF
    Grossman RF

Soroka may come back and make 1 or 2 appearances/starts but I don't see him really being a factor in the playoff roster. There just isn't a spot for him at this point.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Seattle and SF series will probably shape this up a lot. We have to go 4-2 in those 6 games at the least. With Scherzer down the next couple of weeks with the oblique strain that’ll help us out a lot.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Seattle and SF series will probably shape this up a lot. We have to go 4-2 in those 6 games at the least. With Scherzer down the next couple of weeks with the oblique strain that’ll help us out a lot.
    Saw it's retroactive and he'll be back when he's first able to. But i agree we need to go 4-2 over the next 6.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Saw it's retroactive and he'll be back when he's first able to. But i agree we need to go 4-2 over the next 6.
    That oblique was acting up in May to and at 38 it won’t get any better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    The Braves essentially have to sweep the Mets series because of the tiebreaker. Otherwise, we need to mentally add a +1 GB every time we think about the division standings.

If the Braves go 4-2 against SF/Sea and 5-2 against the Phillies, I think we win the division. But that’s a lot to ask going against some really good teams with majority of that on the road.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think the big thing in the Braves' advantage is that they have really mopped up on teams with <.500 records. Mets are 37-29 against teams with >.500 records while the Braves are 26-28. In the long run, every game equals every other game in the standings, so there's no apologizing for how one gets to where they are at. The other issue is that when you play teams can often mean as much as who you are playing. Long season and as teams separate in terms of W/L, approaches for each team may change. Should be an interesting next few weeks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,132 Posts
    FG is projecting the Braves at 100.8 wins and a 36.9% chance to win the division.

They are projecting the Mets at 101.6 wins and a 63.1% chance to win the division.

Considering the Mets are without Scherzer, and the luck that can be involved over a 25 game sample, that's about as close to a coin flip as you're going to see. This is shaping up to be 1993 all over again. Some year during this window the Braves won't punt the first 2-3 months of the season and will win 110+ games.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-08-2022 at 10:27 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-08-2022), jpx7 (09-08-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    FG is projecting the Braves at 100.8 wins and a 36.9% chance to win the division.

They are projecting the Mets at 101.6 wins and a 63.1% chance to win the division.

Considering the Mets are without Scherzer, and the luck that can be involved over a 25 game sample, that's about as close to a coin flip as you're going to see. This is shaping up to be 1993 all over again. Some year during this window the Braves won't punt the first 2-3 months of the season and will win 110+ games.
    Next rosters shapes up to be pretty damn ridiculous if we keep Dansby and pick up Charlie's option or god mercy if we got DeGrom. LF would probably be a concern but even teams like the Dodgers and Astros have holes as well. Maybe need another RH arm to replace Kenley but other than that...

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    25 and 0, baby.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-08-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Next rosters shapes up to be pretty damn ridiculous if we keep Dansby and pick up Charlie's option or god mercy if we got DeGrom. LF would probably be a concern but even teams like the Dodgers and Astros have holes as well. Maybe need another RH arm to replace Kenley but other than that...
    We'd all have wet dreams about a playoff rotation of deGrom, Fried, Strider, Soroka
    Get off my lawn!

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    They avoid Alcantara this weekend, HOWEVER, DeGrom AND Scherzer are both not pitching so hopefully the Marlins can steal 1, and we take 2/3 from Seattle to stay even.
    Mets are 10-8 in games started by DeGrom and Scherzer since they came off the IL. And Scherzer is back on it.

The fact is that although the Braves' remaining schedule is tougher than the Mets', the Braves are a better team right now.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JCarbo76 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-08-2022), JohnAdcox (09-09-2022), Runnin (09-09-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I think they will to some extent. They do seem to play the long game and I'm ok with that.

Next year should be a normal off season. So I don't think they'll go 6 man rotation for so long. We hope next year Ronnie is back healthy, and nobody else has a major injury, so we won't have the Ronnie slow build up.

If Soroka is part of the starting rotation maybe the do more 6 man or games with the rotation.

Ronnie's injury plus Morton's injury plus the lock out was a unique recipe for Braves punting.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-09-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think they will to some extent. They do seem to play the long game and I'm ok with that.

Next year should be a normal off season. So I don't think they'll go 6 man rotation for so long. We hope next year Ronnie is back healthy, and nobody else has a major injury, so we won't have the Ronnie slow build up.

If Soroka is part of the starting rotation maybe the do more 6 man or games with the rotation.

Ronnie's injury plus Morton's injury plus the lock out was a unique recipe for Braves punting.
    Honestly, it feels like this team to a while to gel this season. With the abbreviated spring training, the loss of Freeman for sure shook the team, there is no doubting that. So there was no true "veteran lairdership" and it took a bit for this team to lock it in.

I do feel like AA is going to spend a ton this offseason and wouldn't be shocked to see payroll tick up a good bit. With committed payroll around $152m going into next season, if payroll goes to $200-210m, AA can add quite a bit.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Honestly, it feels like this team to a while to gel this season. With the abbreviated spring training, the loss of Freeman for sure shook the team, there is no doubting that. So there was no true "veteran lairdership" and it took a bit for this team to lock it in.

I do feel like AA is going to spend a ton this offseason and wouldn't be shocked to see payroll tick up a good bit. With committed payroll around $152m going into next season, if payroll goes to $200-210m, AA can add quite a bit.
    If Dansby is back, and we pickup Charlie's option, only thing we really need is bench depth and some RH bullpen depth. LF FA market is dry. But if AA wants go balls for the wall for DeGrom, hell who knows.