Thread: Postseason Roster Thoughts

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts

Postseason Roster Thoughts

I’ve been thinking about what our post season roster may look like over the last several days. There have been lots of interesting tea leaves to read concerning what the Braves are doing with roster moves and playing time. Here’s where I’m at right now.

Position Player Locks

Acuña RF/DH
    Swanson SS
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    Contreras DH/C
    d’Arnaud C
    Grissom LF/RF
    Harris ll CF
    Albies 2B

Arcia IF
    Heredia CF

On The Bubble

Ozuna LF
    Tromp C
    Grossman cOF
    Rosario cOF

Pitching Locks

Fried
    Strider
    Morton
    Wright

Jansen
    Inglsias
    Minter
    McHugh
    Chavez

On the bubble

Matzek LHP
    Lee LHP

Odorizzi Bulk RHP
    Anderson Bulk RHP
    Muller Bulk LHP
    Elder Bulk RHP

Yates RHP
    Stephens RHP
    O’Day RHP

So the position players are pretty well set. The questions at this point are will Ozuna be usable, do we feel we need a lefty bat off the bench, and do we feel we need a 3rd catcher? If Ozuna continues to perform like has since returning to the lineup I think the best move is to go full steam ahead with the lineup we have and go with Ozuna and Tromp. I’d hate to have to remove a catcher from the roster for a minor injury.

As for the pitching staff a lot more questions. I only have 9 locks. That said they need to at least take 1 of the 2 lefties on the bubble if not both as well as 1 bulk guy. I’d project they take Matzek Lee Odorizzi and either 1 of Yates or O’Day depending on their progress. I’d project the Yates/O’Day spot as the one most likely to go to a second bulk pitcher as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Albies will be in the mix.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Albies will be in the mix.
    I’ve got him locked in the lineup

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I think Grossman will be in the mix, being a switch hitter. But the third catcher idea is not a bad one that would allow Contreras and TdA to both be in the lineup.

Acuna RF
    Swanson SS
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    TdA C
    Albies 2B
    Contreras DH
    Grissom LF
    Harris CF

They did say on the radio the other day that BOTH Contreras and Grissom have been getting work in pre-game in LF.
    Get off my lawn!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-26-2022), jpx7 (09-10-2022)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    You have to draw pictures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Wow, I'm blind. Carry on...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    The more I look at it, the more interesting the roster set up will be.

Ozuna has been hot the past week or so at the plate, but provides limited to no value in LF. Heredia is your only true "defensive" replacement player on the field and is also head cheerleader, providing little to nothing with the bat.

Grossman is probably a negative value on defensive, but can provide you at bats from both sides of the plate, mashing lefties.

The only reason I don't see the 3 catchers happening is that Acuna seems to need to be in the DH role going forward.
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think Grossman will be in the mix, being a switch hitter. But the third catcher idea is not a bad one that would allow Contreras and TdA to both be in the lineup.

Acuna RF
    Swanson SS
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    TdA C
    Albies 2B
    Contreras DH
    Grissom LF
    Harris CF

They did say on the radio the other day that BOTH Contreras and Grissom have been getting work in pre-game in LF.

Getting Grissom, TDA, and Contreras all in the lineup at the same time would be excellent. I have to imagine they are going for the most offensive potential in the playoffs.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if they rotated DHs between Acuna, Contreras, and Grissom (and maybe Albies). Ozuna has been hitting better, but if he can't DH, he's not that valuable. It will be a bit surprising if Rosario goes from NLCS MVP to off the playoff roster.

As for pitchers, I'm guessing both Lee and Matzek. For good or ill, Snitker does the by-the-book match-up thing so I expect 3 LHPs in the bullpen.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 09-08-2022 at 03:41 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Getting Grissom, TDA, and Contreras all in the lineup at the same time would be excellent. I have to imagine they are going for the most offensive potential in the playoffs.
    I think they'll want to carry 3 catchers given Contreras DH and the DH in general.

I do not see what value Arcia provides. If Swanson or Albies goes down you play Grissom.

I think they'll Keep Heredia b/c of Ronald's knee as a back up at CF.

I think the last spot will come down to Rosario and Grossman. Rosario hits the dodgers even when he can't see. So maybe it depends on if we win the division. I like Grossman for what he is. Dodgers are the only team with a lot of LH pitchers, I think. So it could be a tough decision.

I do not think Chavez is a lock. They like him, but not sure he's a lock. I also think Soroka could be a person they add as a guy planned to do two innings after the starter goes out in the 4th or 5th because of playoff strategy or poor performance. I'd think really hard about having some guys I thought could do 2-3 innings in the pen if we get to a 7 game series.

If we are in the wildcard round with 3 game series I think we'll have all one inning relievers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2022)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think they'll want to carry 3 catchers given Contreras DH and the DH in general.

I do not see what value Arcia provides. If Swanson or Albies goes down you play Grissom.

I think they'll Keep Heredia b/c of Ronald's knee as a back up at CF.

I think the last spot will come down to Rosario and Grossman. Rosario hits the dodgers even when he can't see. So maybe it depends on if we win the division. I like Grossman for what he is. Dodgers are the only team with a lot of LH pitchers, I think. So it could be a tough decision.

I do not think Chavez is a lock. They like him, but not sure he's a lock. I also think Soroka could be a person they add as a guy planned to do two innings after the starter goes out in the 4th or 5th because of playoff strategy or poor performance. I'd think really hard about having some guys I thought could do 2-3 innings in the pen if we get to a 7 game series.

If we are in the wildcard round with 3 game series I think we'll have all one inning relievers.
    Now that is an interesting point about Arcia. Grissom covering the super sub role could push him off the roster. That being said he’s also played the best of the group looking for post season roster spots but perhaps being an IF hurts his case instead of helps it.

As for Soroka it doesn’t seem like he’s in the playoff plans. The Achilles currently requires a long prep time before a start. It does not sound as if he would be suited to the bullpen for the playoffs and the rotation is taken care of. Now that being said I think if a hole or 2 opened up in the rotation they would break the glass on Soroka.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2022)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    It would seem to me that Rosario better start producing or he won't be on the roster. Seems like they'd go with the switch hitter Grossman over Rosario unless they're thinking an Ozuna/Rosario platoon. Whether or not there's a third catcher depends entirely on whether Acuña can play in the field. If he can't, then Grossman definitely needs to be on the roster because we can't have Ozuna or Rosario playing RF.

I think Arcia makes it because he's probably a better emergency SS than Grissom at this point.

Nine available pitching spots outside of Fried/Strider/Wright/Morton. Jansen, Minter, Iglesias, McHugh are definite. Unless Chavez just falls off a cliff, he'll be on there. At least one of Matzek/Lee (or Muller if both those guys suck massively down the stretch) will be on there. We can't go into a postseason with only one lefty reliever. My hope is Soroka will be activated soon and that they'll shelve Lee for a couple weeks to see if that helps any. Yates has looked a bit better recently, so if he continues that trend, he'll be on there. O'Day I thought was done for the year after they transferred him to the 60-day IL, but can that be retroactive? Odorizzi or Stephens (if he's not DFA following a Soroka activation) probably on there in the Drew Smyly role.

I don't see a place for Soroka unless there's an injury to one of the four starters.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2022)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    With Ozzie back it seems like as good of time as any to review the Postseason roster picture and see where things have changed.

Position Player Locks

Acuña RF/DH
    Swanson SS
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    d’Arnaud C
    Contreras C/DH
    Harris ll CF
    Albies 2B
    Grossman LF

Grissom IF
    Heredia OF

On The Bubble

Rosario cOF
    Tromp C
    Arcia IF

Outside Looking In

Ozuna DH
    Adrianza UTIL

Pitching Locks

Fried SP
    Strider SP
    Morton SP
    Wright SP

Inglsias RHP
    Minter LHP
    McHugh RHP
    Jansen RHP
    Chavez RHP
    Matzek LHP
    Lee LHP

On The Bubble

Odorizzi BULK RHP
    Muller BULK LHP
    Stephens RHP
    O’Day RHP
    Elder BULK RHP

I expect the Braves to go Tromp and Rosario on the position player side and Odorizzi and O’Day on the pitching side. Arcia can always be called up to cover a long term injury and Grissom can cover anything day to day. We wouldn’t want to have to lose Contreras or TDA for the playoffs due to a minor injury though making having Tromp on board important.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    With Ozzie back it seems like as good of time as any to review the Postseason roster picture and see where things have changed.

Position Player Locks

Acuña RF/DH
    Swanson SS
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    d’Arnaud C
    Contreras C/DH
    Harris ll CF
    Albies 2B
    Grossman LF

Grissom IF
    Heredia OF

On The Bubble

Rosario cOF
    Tromp C
    Arcia IF

Outside Looking In

Ozuna DH
    Adrianza UTIL

Pitching Locks

Fried SP
    Strider SP
    Morton SP
    Wright SP

Inglsias RHP
    Minter LHP
    McHugh RHP
    Jansen RHP
    Chavez RHP
    Matzek LHP
    Lee LHP

On The Bubble

Odorizzi BULK RHP
    Muller BULK LHP
    Stephens RHP
    O’Day RHP
    Elder BULK RHP

I expect the Braves to go Tromp and Rosario on the position player side and Odorizzi and O’Day on the pitching side. Arcia can always be called up to cover a long term injury and Grissom can cover anything day to day. We wouldn’t want to have to lose Contreras or TDA for the playoffs due to a minor injury though making having Tromp on board important.
    I blame you for this....