5,761 Posts
    This team is FINNISH
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Olson has been fine for the most part, but I'm struggling to think of any major moment he's had at the plate this year that won us a game in a last at-bat or late situation. I know he's made a couple nice defensive plays to end games, but can't think of anything offensively. Only thing that remotely comes to mind is that soft ground ball, game-tying double against the shift against Houston.

Also, I'm still chapped that he was playing middle of the infield instead of back in that Sunday night Dodgers game where the ball ticked off his glove with two outs in the 9th. Meanwhile, Freddie and the Dodgers can clinch the West tonight.
    I guess.

2021/2022
    FWAR: 5.1/2.6
    Wrc+: 147/118
    Xwoba: .378/.345
    WOBA: .379/.344
    K rate: 16.8/23.1
    Bb rate: 13.1/11.0

He's been disappointing, but he can change all that with a hot month here. Do it, Olson

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Defensive metrics show that Olson is a very good fielding first baseman, but he just looks so clumsy out there. There's been a couple of times this season where his stretch has been out of whack and it's given the opposition a baserunner on what should have been a routine out. Those are isolated instances and the season doesn't turn on them, but it kind of reinforces my impression of him that he's a pretty good baseball player who is not blessed with top drawer athletic skills (and he's not alone in that category).

As a hitter, Olson has been up and down his entire career. Subpar season followed by a monster season. Fairly high K-rate, but a solid BB-rate and he is one of the better power hitters in the game. My worry is that he's not going to age well and the last few years of that contract aren't going to be pretty. I wanted Freeman back, but it is what it is and the trade of Olson looks like it will work out on our end from a value perspective. I just couldn't understand Anthopoulos dishing out the 8-year deal for Olson so quickly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-13-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Still like Olson but there is no question that we would be the best team in baseball if Freeman was still here. We still may be but its up for debate.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    The boys are just in a rut and it’s really started with Riley and Oly, who’ve been putrid for a month and ruined rally and rally. Riley’s DP with the bases loaded and no outs in the eighth was a horrendously low baseball IQ swing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Barnes (09-13-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    They’ll be fine. This happens to every team. I still give Olson a pass this year bc of all the Freeman stuff that was going on and the pressure he was under.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Strider’s velo was down and he was throwing far more sliders. Reason for concern?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Strider’s velo was down and he was throwing far more sliders. Reason for concern?
    Probably dealing with a little arm fatigue. Wrights going through the same thing. If the division wasn’t so close we could get them a few extra days.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    An entire year of sub par (for him) performance is not pressure. Olson is having a bad year and she e all really really hope this is not what we just bought 8 years of. He might of had a career year last year and the Braves bought the hype.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    An entire year of sub par (for him) performance is not pressure. Olson is having a bad year and she e all really really hope this is not what we just bought 8 years of. He might of had a career year last year and the Braves bought the hype.
    I won't go as far as you in your assessment of Olson because he was extremely good in 2019 as well as last year. That said, I don't buy the pressure because of the Freeman situation as an excuse for inconsistent performance. Much is made of guys "coming home" to play for the team you grew up cheering for, but that can be a mixed bag and it's an adjustment. I'm not ready to dump on Olson. Power is his calling card and as long as he's doing that, he'll be a key contributor (hopefully). But I still question the 8-year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I still think he’ll be fine. He’s a good defender, will hit 30+ homers a year and will have 100 RBI’s a year. With the shift going away his numbers will only go up.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I won't go as far as you in your assessment of Olson because he was extremely good in 2019 as well as last year. That said, I don't buy the pressure because of the Freeman situation as an excuse for inconsistent performance. Much is made of guys "coming home" to play for the team you grew up cheering for, but that can be a mixed bag and it's an adjustment. I'm not ready to dump on Olson. Power is his calling card and as long as he's doing that, he'll be a key contributor (hopefully). But I still question the 8-year deal.
    I am not really dumping on him. He has had 2 amazing full years before this and then 2 Meh years. Maybe he is just an every other year kind of guy.. There is probably something in the numbers that would explain his highs and lows I am sure... Luck, facing lefties more, facing more elite pitching... who knows. But it is hard for Brave fans to go from Freeman to Olson.. And the money we just laid out to him is not far from what could have gotten FF.. The whole FF didn't want to be here is BS.. He just wanted to get paid what he deserved. So he is now a Dodger. And I have not said this before, I don't buy into this narative that he will decline so much that will hamstring that contract in a few years. FF is a generational hitter who will decline some but not enough to make that contract not worth it.

I was and still excited to have Olson, but it is waivering a bit with his performance this year. I will give any player 2 years to 'prove' it, but man he is testing that limit for me.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    The Braves avoided giving a long term deal to a bat-only guy, and then gave a long term deal to a bat only guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I am literally in shock.

The extension doesn't make the trade any better, but the contract might be a good deal. Let's break it down...

Olson was going to earn ~$30M in 2022 and 2023. He will now earn 2/36 over his age 28 and 29 seasons.

The Braves also got 6 FAs seasons from 2024-2029 covering his age 30-35 seasons for 6/132.

This is basically the hometown discount Freeman contract. Not a huge fan of extending a 1B into his 30s, but I think emotion has played into it a bit and the $22M rate is palatable.
    As foreshadowing, I used the same "and the $X rate is palatable" comment for the Ozuna deal. Not loving that deal now obviously.

I was hoping the plan was to let Olson play out his Arb years and then fill 1B with a short term deal again, but AA obviously had other plans.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-13-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    people also have down years. Lindor and Diaz struggled coming to NY and recovered.

It is also a year where a lot of guys were moved off of their routine with the lock out.

Olson's track record says he's likely to be worth the deal. I argued NOT to trade for him b/c I didn't like putting that much resource (money or prospects) into a 1B. But that is moot at this point and is a philosophical point.

Knowing the ways things work around here if we wouldn't have dealt for him MHII is probably still in the minors and Pache is out there batting 9th hitting his weight.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The Braves avoided giving a long term deal to a bat-only guy, and then gave a long term deal to a bat only guy...

As foreshadowing, I used the same "and the $X rate is palatable" comment for the Ozuna deal. Not loving that deal now obviously.

I was hoping the plan was to let Olson play out his Arb years and then fill 1B with a short term deal again, but AA obviously had other plans.
    As is the case about 90% of the time, we are in total agreement.

One of my big concerns with Olson is that in an interview early in the season, he bascially admitted his weakness is the four-seam fastball, which is pretty much the pitch du jour nowadays. I haven't dissected every one of his ABs and I haven't looked at Statcast on him, but he strikes me as a guy who devours low-90s stuff but his performance really tails off above that. That's probably the same for most major league hitters, but the effects seem (note the word "seem") to be more extreme for Olson in both directions. Just my amateur observation (that could be completely off-base).
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 09-13-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    As is the case about 90% of the time, we are in total agreement.

One of my big concerns with Olson is that in an interview early in the season, he bascially admitted his weakness is the four-seam fastball, which is pretty much the pitch du jour nowadays. I haven't dissected every one of his ABs and I haven't looked at Statcast on him, but he strikes me as a guy who devours low-90s stuff but his performance really tails off above that. That's probably the same for most major league hitters, but the effects seem (note the word "seem") to be more extreme for Olson in both directions. Just my amateur observation (that could be completely off-base).
    It’s his long ass swing that makes him susceptible to hard stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    That should get better with age...

Shoot me

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    I wish Olson would bring down his hands. Freaking ridiculous the way he sets up.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Is correct. He's a big boy, and that's a big boy swing, but it ain't like it was for the older guys swinging telephone poles. He needs to be shorter and quicker to the ball, even if it means he hits 35 dingers instead of 40. One extra hit a week, he hits .300. Crash Davis said.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Are there any first basemen who are not bat only guys? Seems like both these guys are pretty good - different, but pretty good - as first basemen go.