Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: GDT: Phillies @ Braves 18 Sept 22 1:35pm***Get out the brooms***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    I think Elder was called up to give several innings if we got up or down big. We’ve leaned on our main guys a lot.
    I’ve leaned on your mom a lot.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Also won’t be surprised if the last game or 2 becomes meaningless that Soroka gets a start. Feel good tip of the cap to him and he’s got that hurdle out of the way and can attack the offseason full bore.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    I think Elder was called up to give several innings if we got up or down big. We’ve leaned on our main guys a lot.
    Elder should get a start against the Marlins regardless.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Who cares about the As?
    They play the Mets and hopefully win at least one against them.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So Strider is having a historic season as a starter. This is not to call out anyone, but I know many believed his role would be the bullpen, and I don't think anyone could have predicted this.
    Don't think anyone is particularly worried about being "called out" - there's a legitimate chance he becomes more useful at the back end of games at some point if he doesn't develop a third pitch of some kind.

If - and actually more to the point when - he loses a couple ticks off his fastball, he suddenly becomes MUCH MORE normal and hittable. Anderson can get it up there in the mid-90s and has an elite change - how's he doing now that everyone has figured out those are the only pitches he has? If Strider has to take a little off that fastball to get into the 6th inning of games and is throwing 95-96 instead of 99-100 (in the hope he can reach for that extra gear to blow someone away in tight spots) he'll become human. He gets A LOT of takes on sliders in the middle of the zone right now because everyone has to gear up for 99 - that won't always be the case (unless he develops some kind of show-me third offering). That fastball isn't Rivera's cutter (or even Jansen's for that matter) that he can throw 18 times out of every 20 pitches - eventually hitters are going to be able to catch up to it. To survive with the two pitches he has, he needs to be deGrom - and I don't think it's unfair to be someone who takes a wait-and-see approach about that. deGrom's a unicorn when he's healthy, sure - is there a whole lot of reason not to expect Strider to have the same kind of trouble staying healthy since his shoulder wasn't designed to throw a ball that way anymore than Jacob's?

None of that takes anything away from what Strider's accomplished - he's likely going to be in the record books for quite some time and it's been absolutely fascinating to watch him. I don't miss a single pitch of any of his starts. That said, Gooden was at his peak when I was in high school and was being talked about in the same breath as all-time greats too. 3-4 years later he was a middle or back-end starter by the time he was 30.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Is it not likely that Goodens fall was related to drug and alcohol issues?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Barnes (09-19-2022)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Is it not likely that Goodens fall was related to drug and alcohol issues?
    Strider is constantly high on mustache wax.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

drewdat (09-19-2022), jpx7 (09-19-2022), NYCBrave (09-19-2022)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    From what I have seen of Strider, he is good not because of pure velocity, but location. He can place that 100 mph at the top of the zone and bury the slider low and inside. That essentially makes him unhittable.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-19-2022), NYCBrave (09-19-2022)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Don't think anyone is particularly worried about being "called out" - there's a legitimate chance he becomes more useful at the back end of games at some point if he doesn't develop a third pitch of some kind.

If - and actually more to the point when - he loses a couple ticks off his fastball, he suddenly becomes MUCH MORE normal and hittable. Anderson can get it up there in the mid-90s and has an elite change - how's he doing now that everyone has figured out those are the only pitches he has? If Strider has to take a little off that fastball to get into the 6th inning of games and is throwing 95-96 instead of 99-100 (in the hope he can reach for that extra gear to blow someone away in tight spots) he'll become human. He gets A LOT of takes on sliders in the middle of the zone right now because everyone has to gear up for 99 - that won't always be the case (unless he develops some kind of show-me third offering). That fastball isn't Rivera's cutter (or even Jansen's for that matter) that he can throw 18 times out of every 20 pitches - eventually hitters are going to be able to catch up to it. To survive with the two pitches he has, he needs to be deGrom - and I don't think it's unfair to be someone who takes a wait-and-see approach about that. deGrom's a unicorn when he's healthy, sure - is there a whole lot of reason not to expect Strider to have the same kind of trouble staying healthy since his shoulder wasn't designed to throw a ball that way anymore than Jacob's?

None of that takes anything away from what Strider's accomplished - he's likely going to be in the record books for quite some time and it's been absolutely fascinating to watch him. I don't miss a single pitch of any of his starts. That said, Gooden was at his peak when I was in high school and was being talked about in the same breath as all-time greats too. 3-4 years later he was a middle or back-end starter by the time he was 30.
    Strider's change is actually pretty good, in the samples we've seen, he just hasn't really had to use it much. His combination of skill/talent, discipline, and intelligence makes me optimistic we haven't seen the end-point of his development.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Barnes (09-19-2022)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Strider's change is actually pretty good, in the samples we've seen, he just hasn't really had to use it much. His combination of skill/talent, discipline, and intelligence makes me optimistic we haven't seen the end-point of his development.
    His interviews are legit entertaining. He has even said he hasn’t needed his change much so why throw it
    Coppy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-19-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

He does have a third pitch. It’s a change up and it’s good. He just hasn’t needed to use it much. Strider in the pen is a joke

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-19-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I’ve leaned on your mom a lot.
    I’ve leaned in yours.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    His interviews are legit entertaining. He has even said he hasn’t needed his change much so why throw it
    You use it to get guys off balance. Not recommending he suddenly throws it as often as the slider, but often enough to have it in the back of hitters’ minds.

One of the problems he’s had getting deeper into starts is all the foul balls. One way to cut down on those is to throw that change a little more often. Doesn’t have to be once per AB or anything, just often enough that when he throws it with two strikes he gets to go sit down instead of throwing three more pitches. Perfect place for him to emulate deGrom - he only throws his a few times every start, but when he does it makes the highlight reel because it makes guys look so stupid. He doesn’t throw it because he HAS TO, he throws it to conserve pitches.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    That’s the hope - that he continues to evolve and develop.

The point is that the game’s history is littered with TONS of guys who had great stuff that couldn’t.