Thread: GDT: Phillies @ Braves 18 Sept 22 1:35pm***Get out the brooms***

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    And we are tied in the loss column…..
    somebody will have to explain to me how this is not a distinction without a difference. Since I first heard Joe Garagiola say it when I was eight years old, I've tried to understand why it's a bigger deal to be tied in the loss column and I still got nuthin.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If I had a vote I still don’t know who I would vote for for rookie of the year between Strider or MH2
    I go with the everyday player, but they both piss excellence.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    somebody will have to explain to me how this is not a distinction without a difference. Since I first heard Joe Garagiola say it when I was eight years old, I've tried to understand why it's a bigger deal to be tied in the loss column and I still got nuthin.
    Because the Braves can make that 1 game difference up in the standings by simply winning the 2 additional games they have left on the schedule. In essence, it's not about getting the most wins but having the least amount of losses.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (09-19-2022)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I go with the everyday player, but they both piss excellence.
    Why? I vote for the player with best fWar

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I don’t know whether Strider or Harris will win rookie of the year, but what’s absolutely absurd is that Spencer has more WAR than Max Fried according to some statistics websites.
    Well. fWAR loves K's and no starter in baseball is better than Strider right now at that. His sub 2 FIP is the best in baseball among starters he just doesn't have enough innings to qualify for such things. An argument can be made he's the best starter in baseball right now which is pretty absurd. The dude virtually came out of nowhere and is ****ing ace.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Well. fWAR loves K's and no starter in baseball is better than Strider right now at that. His sub 2 FIP is the best in baseball among starters he just doesn't have enough innings to qualify for such things. An argument can be made he's the best starter in baseball right now which is pretty absurd. The dude virtually came out of nowhere and is ****ing ace.
    He is pitching like an ace for sure. But it seems to me he hasn’t reached his full potential yet. Barring injuries, this guy will be dominating for a long time.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    He is pitching like an ace for sure. But it seems to me he hasn’t reached his full potential yet. Barring injuries, this guy will be dominating for a long time.
    he’s mainly done a great job honing in on the walks aside from a few spurts here and there but his change up is key. If he can use it more consistently or add another pitch, he’d be nearly unhittable

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    he’s mainly done a great job honing in on the walks aside from a few spurts here and there but his change up is key. If he can use it more consistently or add another pitch, he’d be nearly unhittable
    Before today opponents were hitting .186 with a .524 OPS off Strider. I'm not sure how much more "unhittable" he can get.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    It’s like Fernando mania 1981. Strider would get my vote for Rookie if the year. Like you said he’s been the best starter in baseball the last few months

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    It’s like Fernando mania 1981. Strider would get my vote for Rookie if the year. Like you said he’s been the best starter in baseball the last few months
    It's been wild to see. His K/9 and BB/9 both improved as a starter from his brief time as a reliever which I didn't think would be possible. Fastest pitcher ever to 200 career K's.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Think of it this way: If we are a game behind and tied in the loss column, that means that we have played two fewer games than the Mets and, all other things being equal, would have to win both "extra" games to catch them. On the other hand, if we are a game behind and tied in the win column, that means that, all other things being equal, we would have played two more games than the Mets, and the Mets would have to lose their two "extra" games for us to catch them.

I like the odds for the Braves to go 2-0 more than I like the Mets' odds to go 0-2.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JCarbo76 For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (09-19-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    It's been wild to see. His K/9 and BB/9 both improved as a starter from his brief time as a reliever which I didn't think would be possible. Fastest pitcher ever to 200 career K's.
    The scary thought is what would a full season with him as a starter look like. I admit, when we moved him to the rotation, I was worried her was going to blow his arm out, especially when they said he had no innings limit. But the guy is in freakish shape and just keeps getting better
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    Think of it this way: If we are a game behind and tied in the loss column, that means that we have played two fewer games than the Mets and, all other things being equal, would have to win both "extra" games to catch them. On the other hand, if we are a game behind and tied in the win column, that means that, all other things being equal, we would have played two more games than the Mets, and the Mets would have to lose their two "extra" games for us to catch them.

I like the odds for the Braves to go 2-0 more than I like the Mets' odds to go 0-2.
    Those 2 games are the 22nd @ the Phillies and the 26th @ the Nationals.....I like our chances.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Acuna waking up has be feeling pretty good about our repeat chances. Olson has to be better though. I have a feeling Acuna, Riley, and Olson are all gonna be red hot at the same time soon

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Hard to believe, but the most important games could well be these three against the Gnats. Take care of business and get some help from the Brewers, and this thing potentially becomes a complete madhouse with the Mutts panicking before they even have to come to Atlanta. If Milwaukee could somehow take two of three, they set themselves up with a chance to chase the Padres or Phillies down (they'd have 8 games left against the Reds and Marlins).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Anybody else going to that Mets series? That place will be insane

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hard to believe, but the most important games could well be these three against the Gnats. Take care of business and get some help from the Brewers, and this thing potentially becomes a complete madhouse with the Mutts panicking before they even have to come to Atlanta. If Milwaukee could somehow take two of three, they set themselves up with a chance to chase the Padres or Phillies down (they'd have 8 games left against the Reds and Marlins).
    Even if we sweep and they get swept, the division comes down to that final series. They could still take 2 of 3 from us in Atl and win the division via tie breaker. We basically have to be up 2 games to realistically have a chance to take the division. I doubt we sweep Bassit, Jake, Max... And the Mutts hold the tie breaker without a Braves sweep.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Even if we sweep and they get swept, the division comes down to that final series. They could still take 2 of 3 from us in Atl and win the division via tie breaker. We basically have to be up 2 games to realistically have a chance to take the division. I doubt we sweep Bassit, Jake, Max... And the Mutts hold the tie breaker without a Braves sweep.
    Why wouldn't 1 game up work? I think the braves will be favored to win that series

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Why wouldn't 1 game up work? I think the braves will be favored to win that series
    Depends on how we set up our rotation. If we have Morton and Odor going, then no I don't think so. They are going to have Bassit, DeGrom and Max going based on schedule. I am not sure for the Braves since we have given guys rest. We need to have Strider/Fried/Wright goin imo to be favored. And someone who can hit playing 1B.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Depends on how we set up our rotation. If we have Morton and Odor going, then no I don't think so. They are going to have Bassit, DeGrom and Max going based on schedule. I am not sure for the Braves since we have given guys rest. We need to have Strider/Fried/Wright goin imo to be favored. And someone who can hit playing 1B.
    right now, Fried and Wright are scheduled to go in that series. we do have a day off around that time to so theoretically they could bump Strider into that series as well.

Also, deGrom has not been the typical deGrom his past 2 outings. he lost to the cubs, and gave up 3 runs to the lowly Pirates.
    Get off my lawn!