Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Phillies @ Braves 18 Sept 22 1:35pm***Get out the brooms***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Not sure how any one else feels, but I'd like to see someone like Elder brought up for a spot start to give some of these starters extra rest. Guys like Wright and Strider could probably use it and we need them healthy for the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Not sure how any one else feels, but I'd like to see someone like Elder brought up for a spot start to give some of these starters extra rest. Guys like Wright and Strider could probably use it and we need them healthy for the playoffs.
    Absolutely. I'd bring someone up to spot start for both Wright and Strider. I get we want to win the division but I'd rather have our pitchers at 100%.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    right now, Fried and Wright are scheduled to go in that series. we do have a day off around that time to so theoretically they could bump Strider into that series as well.

Also, deGrom has not been the typical deGrom his past 2 outings. he lost to the cubs, and gave up 3 runs to the lowly Pirates.
    He has a 4 ERA but with a 1.29 Fip in his last 2 games.. 11 innings with 23 K's and 0 walks. supporting a .400+ BaBip in those 2 games. He has been quite great for them these last 2, but has been extremely unlucky.

I think our best bet is Max and Bassitt games.. not sure how Max will feel coming back and Bassitt is beatable. Not that we can't beat Jake, just he is still the best in baseball imo.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Depends on how we set up our rotation. If we have Morton and Odor going, then no I don't think so. They are going to have Bassit, DeGrom and Max going based on schedule. I am not sure for the Braves since we have given guys rest. We need to have Strider/Fried/Wright goin imo to be favored. And someone who can hit playing 1B.
    Olson won’t get benched. Ever. For what they traded and are paying he will play. He’s to good of a player not to figure it out so I’m not worried. I trust him and the team to figure it out and get him going.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Olson won’t get benched. Ever. For what they traded and are paying he will play. He’s to good of a player not to figure it out so I’m not worried. I trust him and the team to figure it out and get him going.
    He is hitting below .200 with a sub .300 OBP and a sub .700 OPS since Aug first (185 PA)... barely better than those numbers since July 1st (297 PA).. I guess I am tired of excuses when he is plugged into the 4 hole of our lineup every night. NO ONE deserve to play just becuase he 'will' figure it out. go to him and say you are hitting 9th until you do figure it out and we might start subbing in guys some... At some point the team needs to decide they made a huge mistake with the extention and start taking corrective action.

No I am not calling for his release. But you can't have a guy dragging the team down for 300+ plate appearances by hitting him in the top half of the lineup. He doesn't have the pedigree of a super star imo.. He has had up and down years and stretches. to me that could me either the good player is who he is OR the ****ty player is who he is. Right now, I am leaning for the latter...
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Sounds like another spot start is going to happen. The Nats would be the team to do it against.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Sounds like another spot start is going to happen. The Nats would be the team to do it against.

yeah, if we are going to tinker with the rotation, now is a good time to start doing that. giving an extra day here and there, but making sure your 3 studs go against NY..

And who the heck is willie woods and when did he get added to the 27 man roster..
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 09-19-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    yeah, if we are going to tinker with the rotation, now is a good time to start doing that. giving an extra day here and there, but making sure your 3 studs go against NY..

And who the heck is willie woods and when did he get added to the 27 man roster..
    Sounds like a fake player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    He is hitting below .200 with a sub .300 OBP and a sub .700 OPS since Aug first (185 PA)... barely better than those numbers since July 1st (297 PA).. I guess I am tired of excuses when he is plugged into the 4 hole of our lineup every night. NO ONE deserve to play just becuase he 'will' figure it out. go to him and say you are hitting 9th until you do figure it out and we might start subbing in guys some... At some point the team needs to decide they made a huge mistake with the extention and start taking corrective action.

No I am not calling for his release. But you can't have a guy dragging the team down for 300+ plate appearances by hitting him in the top half of the lineup. He doesn't have the pedigree of a super star imo.. He has had up and down years and stretches. to me that could me either the good player is who he is OR the ****ty player is who he is. Right now, I am leaning for the latter...
    He’s obviously not the guy he is right now, any sane person knows that. Does he need to be moved down? Absolutely. 8 year extension and it’s just starting so not sure about any corrective action with that. He’ll figure it out it’s just a matter of when not if.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Woods was our 23rd round pick in 2018 out of Dyersburg State Community College in Tennessee. Supposedly a big fastball. Sat out 2020 with the shutdown and lost most of 2021 to injury. Was one of the Braves' participants in the 2021 Arizona Fall League. Added to the 40-man roster last winter.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Woods was our 23rd round pick in 2018 out of Dyersburg State Community College in Tennessee. Supposedly a big fastball. Sat out 2020 with the shutdown and lost most of 2021 to injury. Was one of the Braves' participants in the 2021 Arizona Fall League. Added to the 40-man roster last winter.
    I will personally give AA a blowjob via Cy's mother once a day if this dude becomes Strider 2.0
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Even if we sweep and they get swept, the division comes down to that final series. They could still take 2 of 3 from us in Atl and win the division via tie breaker. We basically have to be up 2 games to realistically have a chance to take the division. I doubt we sweep Bassit, Jake, Max... And the Mutts hold the tie breaker without a Braves sweep.
    Missed the entire point. Take care of business against the Gnats, and there's almost no way they don't have to come to Atlanta with a ton on the line - and a whole lot of anxiety in the clubhouse.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Missed the entire point. Take care of business against the Gnats, and there's almost no way they don't have to come to Atlanta with a ton on the line - and a whole lot of anxiety in the clubhouse.
    Exactly. As a team the Mets do not have the experience we do when it comes to pressure situations.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    I do not know why I had so much trouble getting in this site yesterday. Anyway, delayed celebrating the sweep
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-19-2022), Garmel (09-19-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    So Strider is having a historic season as a starter. This is not to call out anyone, but I know many believed his role would be the bullpen, and I don't think anyone could have predicted this.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    ... If Milwaukee could somehow take two of three, they set themselves up with a chance to chase the Padres or Phillies down (they'd have 8 games left against the Reds and Marlins).
    The Brewers have been playing good ball lately. If they can take 2 from the Mets and then we can take 3+ from the Phillies, there is a good chance the Brewers can overtake Philly. That in and of itself would make me smile.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesguy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-19-2022)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    ... They could still take 2 of 3 from us in Atl and win the division via tie breaker. We basically have to be up 2 games to realistically have a chance to take the division. ...
    We need to take care of business before, during, and after the series with the Mets. If we lose that series, then we do not really deserve to win the division, however, if we take care of the Gnats and Phillies, we may build some buffer just in case.

The Gnats, Marlins, and A's (three bad teams) are ll 3-7 over the last 10 games. That means they are winning games against someone. We need it to NOT be against the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    We need to take care of business before, during, and after the series with the Mets. If we lose that series, then we do not really deserve to win the division, however, if we take care of the Gnats and Phillies, we may build some buffer just in case.

The Gnats, Marlins, and A's (three bad teams) are ll 3-7 over the last 10 games. That means they are winning games against someone. We need it to NOT be against the Braves.
    Who cares about the As?

And, yeah, the Nats and Marlins’ wins are against the Mets.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So Strider is having a historic season as a starter. This is not to call out anyone, but I know many believed his role would be the bullpen, and I don't think anyone could have predicted this.
    Yeah. Just another in a long line of our prospects seemingly hitting that top 1%. Pretty remarkable.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-19-2022), NYCBrave (09-19-2022), Tapate50 (09-19-2022)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    I think Elder was called up to give several innings if we got up or down big. We’ve leaned on our main guys a lot.