Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: GDT 9/22/22: Braves @ Phillies - Olson Dropped

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Let's say Olson doesn't rebound and this is who he is. Do you think about moving him before 2024?
    Yes. I'd trade him to the Dodgers for Freeman. But also, there's zero way in hell he'd be struggling like this for the Dodgers in an alternate universe where we kept Freddie and they traded for Olson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Ummm..

Riley
    since July 1 .304/.376/..500/.966
    since Aug 1 .235/.332/.419/.751
    since sept 1 .225/.329/.456/.793

Olson
    since July 1 .216/.291/.426/.716
    since Aug 1 .196/.279/.352/.631
    since sept 1 .123/.230/.185/.414

There have been no 30/60/90 day period where Riley has been close to as bad as Olson. Olson is unplayable right now, but you have to play him because you invested so much.. but you don't have to play him everyday and certainly not in the 4/5 hole. He is **** for 3 months now. When do you finally say it is time to change something.

Ozuna (far fewer AB's... but maybe we are giving the wrong guy more ABs)
    since July 1 .212/.251/.382/.633
    since Aug 1 .231/.256/.397/.654
    since Sept 1 .323/.363/.484/.866
    My point still stands. He’s sucking, but acting like this is going to continue for the duration of the contract is your bias showing. It’s natural that homegrown players get more leeway with the fan base than outsiders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2022)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    My point still stands. He’s sucking, but acting like this is going to continue for the duration of the contract is your bias showing. It’s natural that homegrown players get more leeway with the fan base than outsiders.
    Ya I understand Olson has been putrid but those are not numbers you wanna see out of your number 3 hitter.
    Let’s hope both get hot when it matters.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Yes. I'd trade him to the Dodgers for Freeman. But also, there's zero way in hell he'd be struggling like this for the Dodgers in an alternate universe where we kept Freddie and they traded for Olson.
    I guarantee one thing if our first baseman was hitting .330 rather than .235 we are in first place right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I guarantee one thing if our first baseman was hitting .330 rather than .235 we are in first place right now.
    And we would be overwhelming favorites for back to back WS titles.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Like I've said since March, whether it was McGuirk, Schiller, or AA himself that made the final call on the decision not to just acquiesce and make him the highest paid first baseman in the game deserves this outcome. Looks even worse since Riley and Harris got paid. They could have easily afforded Freeman even at his asking price.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 09-23-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I disagree with this personally. Letting FF go to the Dodgers was a mistake. I am willing to bet he will out produce Olson every year of his contract.
    I don't know about that, but what I will say is that Freeman does have some flexibility to his game that Olson doesn't have. A lot of it results from Freeman being with the high-payroll Dodgers, but Freeman doesn't have to hit HRs to have value. He's still likley to post OBPs in the high .300s throughout his contract even if/when his SLG drops. Is that value worth what he's going to be paid? Is anyone in baseball worth what they are paid except in comparative terms?

Olson has to hit for power. That's his sole calling card. Maybe he benefits more than other guys when the new shift rules are implemented, but I don't think he's ever going to hit for average. That doesn't matter as long as the either dents or clears the wall. If that falls off, he's really just a guy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2022), PawPawMaxwell (09-23-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Like I've said since March, whether it was McGuirk, Schiller, or AA himself that made the final call on the decision not to just acquiesce and make him the highest paid first baseman in the game deserves this outcome. Looks even worse since Riley and Harris got paid. They could have easily afforded Freeman even at his asking price.
    If Anthopoulos wanted Freeman to be a Brave, he'd still be a Brave.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (09-23-2022), VirginiaBrave (09-23-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Will you guys please relax ? I mean damn, we just lost stinkin’ game to a very good playoff team. We are still gonna win the division, and there is plenty of time for the bats to get hot.
    In approx two years you’ll be glad you have Olson and not Freeman. Olson’s best years are ahead of him. Freddie’s aren’t. I love Freddie, and wish he were on our team right now, but we have a very long window of in-contention baseball, and a great shot to win the WS this year. Overall, what a great time to be a Braves fan!
    Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-23-2022), Hudson2 (09-23-2022), jpx7 (09-23-2022), mfree80 (09-23-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    No Acuna thought.

Swanson
    Harris
    Riley
    TDA c
    Olson
    Contreras DH
    Rosario
    Grissom
    Grossman

Harris in front of Riley seems like a good idea. If you go lhp, Riley murders them

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Will you guys please relax ? I mean damn, we just lost stinkin’ game to a very good playoff team. We are still gonna win the division, and there is plenty of time for the bats to get hot.
    In approx two years you’ll be glad you have Olson and not Freeman. Olson’s best years are ahead of him. Freddie’s aren’t. I love Freddie, and wish he were on our team right now, but we have a very long window of in-contention baseball, and a great shot to win the WS this year. Overall, what a great time to be a Braves fan!
    No, I will never be glad to have Olson. He's good, but he'll never be on Freeman's level. Olson just simply doesn't make enough contact.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    hu-la
    hu-la
    hu-la

Love you, man...other than your highly questionable choice of collitch programmes. Go Gators
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 09-23-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Jesus Christ do you pay attention to anything outside of your little narrative bubble? How many times must you be told that’s exactly what happened? The Braves offer was worth more overall than Goldschmidt’s offer, effectively making him the highest paid 1B in the game. Freeman stalled to try to get even more money and AA pivoted to Olson.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (09-23-2022), jpx7 (09-23-2022), Mrs. Meta (09-23-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If Freeman wanted Freeman to be a Brave, he’d still be a Brave.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2022), Mrs. Meta (09-23-2022)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Jesus Christ do you pay attention to anything outside of your little narrative bubble? How many times must you be told that’s exactly what happened? The Braves offer was worth more overall than Goldschmidt’s offer, effectively making him the highest paid 1B in the game. Freeman stalled to try to get even more money and AA pivoted to Olson.
    How many must I tell you, the Braves tried and succeeded in low-balling Freeman. Only the little bubble on this board thinks 5/145 was a fair offer. The Braves share copability here. I am just glad it looks stupider by the day.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Ill even add my $0.02 that if Freddie (or maybe his wife) wanted to be a Brave, he'd still be a Brave.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Freeman wanted Freeman to be a Brave, he’d still be a Brave.
    This all day. This is on Freeman. Chipper warned him.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    This all day. This is on Freeman. Chipper warned him.
    I just disagree. Just my view from the outside as someone who has been involved in negotiations (though not labor negotiations) for 35 years. The Braves let this drag on when it could have been done much earlier. Part of me thinks Anthopoulos wants his team on the field and he didn't see Freddie as part of that so he ran the clock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    How many must I tell you, the Braves tried and succeeded in low-balling Freeman. Only the little bubble on this board thinks 5/145 was a fair offer. The Braves share copability here. I am just glad it looks stupider by the day.
    So, making him the highest paid 1B in the league is low-balling him. So, what does that make the Dodgers’ offer then?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2022)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I think it’s obvious what happened. In a normal offseason first choice guys get their situations resolved first and then you move to secondary options. Because of the work stoppage things moved fast. I think Freeman thought he could wait for best offers and choose but we had to move on Olsen or he might not have been there. Then Freddie fell to the Dodgers. If we were still in the bidding he would have had more leverage and the winner might have had to pay more.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2022)