Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Joc was much better than Rosario and ozuna.

Trading acuna or Albies is laughable. Those are impact guys on sub market deals. You want more of those guys not less.
    Sometimes I wonder if PawPaw and Horsehide are the same person.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if PawPaw and Horsehide are the same person.
    You can quit worrying about that. I assure you that Im not HH. But Im sure deep down you know that since you have some control over this site.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Acuna is signed for 17 mil for each of the next 6 years. Albies is signed for 7 mil for each of the next 5 years (still insane how absurd his contract is). I dont even know a realistic trade for either that even makes sense. Most prospects bust so good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Acuna is signed for 17 mil for each of the next 6 years. Albies is signed for 7 mil for each of the next 5 years (still insane how absurd his contract is). I dont even know a realistic trade for either that even makes sense. Most prospects bust so good luck.
    Just a history reminder: Even Babe Ruth was traded once upon a time. Andruw Jones signed a crappy contract (for his talent) that Braves watched him move on at his earliest opportunity.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Just a history reminder: Even Babe Ruth was traded once upon a time. Andruw Jones signed a crappy contract (for his talent) that Braves watched him move on at his earliest opportunity.
    Sure, any player can get traded. But teams in contention windows dont trade good players to reboot their farm system. Braves have the money to have a higher payroll going forward too.
    Last edited by Heyward; 10-08-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    My question is for what purpose would we trade either?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    My question is for what purpose would we trade either?
    Ask Paw that, i dont even know the reason why you would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Once again I am not advocating either but some examples as to why AA might trade one/both. Suppose Boston JUST FOR INSTANCE since we all know they will not do a slow rebuild. Bogarts leaves and Sox want to move Story to SS leaving a big hole at 2nd and they have a stud LFer (which they dont to my knowledge) not a prospect and Chaim bends AA ear. Braves do have Arcia and Grissom having done a more than adequate job and Chaim wants Albies and is willing to move the needle value wise to Braves side,
    Or new LAA owner says he doesnt like his payroll while he rebuilds into a winner (see Rendon, Ohtani, Trout) and offers to take on short deals of Rosario and Ozuna along with Acuna for Trout and some more cheap ML talent.
    Fantasy baseball? Probably but there is not much else to the off season which this thread is about.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Lay off the moonshine

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Too lazy to look but has Rosario been that bad since the eye issues fixed? What is the attraction to Grossman? Does Joc add anything better than Ozuna in the long run?

Just as an aside, Braves won WS 21 without Acuna, 22 still up for grabs but without Albies pretty much all year. Young guys fixed in lineup, prospects showing up by loads. Pitching in place for few years by and large. Does anyone see just how much Acuna and Albies could bring back?
    .685 OPS since returning. Only one more HR than pre-eye surgery (3 post to 2 pre). I watched him up here in Minnesota. He's a guy you either love or hate. Lots of swag. Makes a brilliant move/play followed by something really boneheaded. I think it's a push between Rosario and Grossman. Grossman is steadier, but if you can live with Rosario's blunders, he can occasionally do something eye-popping in a good way.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-09-2022), jpx7 (10-09-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Once again I am not advocating either but some examples as to why AA might trade one/both. Suppose Boston JUST FOR INSTANCE since we all know they will not do a slow rebuild. Bogarts leaves and Sox want to move Story to SS leaving a big hole at 2nd and they have a stud LFer (which they dont to my knowledge) not a prospect and Chaim bends AA ear. Braves do have Arcia and Grissom having done a more than adequate job and Chaim wants Albies and is willing to move the needle value wise to Braves side,
    Or new LAA owner says he doesnt like his payroll while he rebuilds into a winner (see Rendon, Ohtani, Trout) and offers to take on short deals of Rosario and Ozuna along with Acuna for Trout and some more cheap ML talent.
    Fantasy baseball? Probably but there is not much else to the off season which this thread is about.
    I mean i guess for Trout sure, but we know thats not realistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Jesus, can you read or can you not read.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Maybe true, but I can't understand what level of analytics told him signing Rosario to a two-year/$9 MM AAV deal made much sense. I think this gets overblown a little. Anthopoulos has a type and he tends to gravitate toward that type. I'm not saying he's "analytics be damned," but I don't rule out the gut with him.
    The "we didn't sign Freddie Freeman and need to make a relatively cheap investment in a popular player and it's better if it is a professional player at position of need" analytic.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Phillies pulling a Snitker move and signed their manager to a 2 year extension. He took over for Girardi after he was fired and the team took off.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If Grissom isn't starting I'd put him in AAA. I think he has enough upside that I want him to play everyday. Arcia can handle the super sub option.

Ozuna I think could be moved. Only has two years on the deal and still hits the ball hard.

I think you keep Pina and let Wild Bill and TDA pinch hit. We've had a major catcher injury every year for a while. Obviously if someone wants to offer a top 100 prospect for Pina you take him, but that's not happening. I'm not moving him for salary.

I think the question for AA will be where can he get the biggest impact player. Is it at SS or LF? Can he get an impact bat at either place without a 5+ year commitment?
    Grissom playing everyday and living with the ups and downs of a young player becomes worth it if you’re talking about bringing BOTH Degrom and Swanson (or Correa if possible). Too much talk of Degrom for it to not be at least a possibility.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Unless i'm mistaken, I believe the Mets have around $194m or so committed to next seasons roster. 4/5 of their rotation are likely to be Free Agents this offseason, and most of their bullpen are scheduled to be Free Agents as well.

They can only spend so much money this offseason and have a ton of holes to fill
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Mets think they are getting judge, Rodon, degrom and Correa at 3b . Plus all their other guys.

They could. I bet they offer the most money. Not sure people will want to go to the Mets.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Mets rotation stands to lose 3 pitchers, unless some options are exercised. Bassit could decide not to but given his age, I think he might stay. Walker almost certainly leaves. I think the Mets will exercise the option on Carrasco.

Assuming they resign DeGrom, the only change to their rotation will be Walker.

Offensively, they could move Escobar and Canha pretty easily to free up some payroll. Of course, the creates 2 more holes....

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Unless i'm mistaken, I believe the Mets have around $194m or so committed to next seasons roster. 4/5 of their rotation are likely to be Free Agents this offseason, and most of their bullpen are scheduled to be Free Agents as well.

They can only spend so much money this offseason and have a ton of holes to fill
    They're at 219 according to spotrac. If DeGrom, Walker and Bassit have their options declined, that's 45 million saved. But they have a ****load of FA's, as well as players in arb. In arb, they have- Alonso, Gore, Guillmore, Luchessi, McNeil, Nido, Pederson, and Drew Smith. FA's, they have are DeGrom, Walker, Bassit if those options are declined as well as Nimmo, Diaz, Lugo and Ottavino. Certainly a fascinating offseason with all their FA's, and Cohen has said he probably wont go past where they were this year in payroll.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Mets rotation stands to lose 3 pitchers, unless some options are exercised. Bassit could decide not to but given his age, I think he might stay. Walker almost certainly leaves. I think the Mets will exercise the option on Carrasco.

Assuming they resign DeGrom, the only change to their rotation will be Walker.

Offensively, they could move Escobar and Canha pretty easily to free up some payroll. Of course, the creates 2 more holes....
    The Mets don’t have that many bad contracts. They also are very committed to this current core with Max, Lindor, Pete, etc, so there is not question they’ll be big players in free agency.

Best case scenario for the Braves is the Mets try to run it back and sign DeGrom, Diaz, Bassit, etc to market rate contracts.