Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    They're at 219 according to spotrac. If DeGrom, Walker and Bassit have their options declined, that's 45 million saved. But they have a ****load of FA's, as well as players in arb. In arb, they have- Alonso, Gore, Guillmore, Luchessi, McNeil, Nido, Pederson, and Drew Smith. FA's, they have are DeGrom, Walker, Bassit if those options are declined as well as Nimmo, Diaz, Lugo and Ottavino. Certainly a fascinating offseason with all their FA's, and Cohen has said he probably wont go past where they were this year in payroll.
    Probably pinch-running for a different team next year. Pinch-ran for us last year. I'd totally forgotten that he didn't play in a single regular-season for the Braves last season, but did make one appearance for us in the post-season. He's still looking for that elusive first major league HR. If I would have known all you had to be was fast to play in the major leagues and stick around for as long as he has, I would have worked harder at being super-fast.

As per the rest of the Mets, I was a bit surprised that they didn't do more at the deadline. The Vogelbach, Ruf, and Naquin additions didn't move the needle much, if at all. You can't put either Ruf or Vogelbach in the field at all (plus, Vogelbach plays first and Alonso is there). I do think our core is more balanced, but when Marte went down, they really didn't have an adequate replacement. Can't say enough about how much Harris II meant for us by comparison. Plus, I think Canha is way overrated and they are really weak at catcher (Alvarez probably changes that at least with the bat). Baty flashed and then evaporated. Development from him would obviously be a huge plus.

As per Cohen's statements, I seem to remember the Phillies' owners saying the same thing before they emptied their wallets on Realmuto and Gregorius. Mets will undoubtedly be active. Hard to know what's out there at this point, but the Mets will be bidding on the marquee guys.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-10-2022 at 08:23 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2022)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    clvclv probably has the 40-man eligible guys we will have to consider adding, but I don't see this as necessarily being a hectic off-season for the Braves outside of negotiating with Swanson and considering an extension for Fried. The aquisition of Iglesias likely negates the need to bring back Jansen (although I wouldn't rule that out). No lockout helps and the core is pretty much in place.

I'd like to see an upgrade to LF and there doesn't appear to be a readily-available internal option. Ozuna is likely here again. I don't know Anthopoulos' pattern (if there is one) on sending considerable amounts of cash/prospect with a player to dump a bad contract, but that's about the only way he leaves town. I wouldn't be surprised if Duvall is back for less money than he signed for in 2022.

Lists of immediate off-season free agents is always interesting. Brinson was the centerpiece of the deal that sent him from the Brewers to the Marlins as parrt of the Yelich deal, but he has just never put it together. A lot of other highly-regarded prospects who have yet to blossom also on that list.

PS to the last paragraph: I didn't know that OF Clint Frazier now goes by Jackson Frazier. I know that some in here get all hot and bothered by Clint and have been lobbying for the Braves to obtain him over the years, so here's the chance. Solid minor league numbers but since hitting the big league, he strikes out more than I did on the bar scene on weekend nights than I did during my misspent youth.
    I do have all the 40-Man info, but can’t get to it at the moment, sorry. Dealing with some relatively serious health concerns at the moment. Hope to be back to “normal” towards the end of the week or first of next week.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (03-19-2023), Mrs. Meta (10-12-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I do have all the 40-Man info, but can’t get to it at the moment, sorry. Dealing with some relatively serious health concerns at the moment. Hope to be back to “normal” towards the end of the week or first of next week.
    Take care of yourself. Time to take care of one man instead of the 40-man.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (03-19-2023), Mrs. Meta (10-12-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Per ESPN, the White Sox have reached out to Ron Washington about their open manager position and he is considered a front runner along with Bruce Bochy and Mike Shildt
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Per ESPN, the White Sox have reached out to Ron Washington about their open manager position and he is considered a front runner along with Bruce Bochy and Mike Shildt
    wait LaRusuck couldn't make a talented team better with a pack of smokes and good ol' guy feelings. Anyone check on Twit when he retured, I know he was first in line at Tony's book signing for his last book 'dinasours for dummies.'
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Bruce Bochy's eyes are each a different color. Just a little interesting tidbit.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Bruce Bochy's eyes are each a different color. Just a little interesting tidbit.
    Why hasn't Steven Cohen called to get him to manage for Scherzer?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    The White Sox going to reach to Jim Leyland and Joe Torre next.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Correa to opt out, become a FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Correa to opt out, become a FA.
    He, dansby, or turner will be just fine

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    or Xander

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Let's just get 2/3. Turner played OF before. Correa looks like an OF or he can play some 3B and Austin can DH.

I know we really aren't handing out deals to two of these guys, I'd be sorta surprised at 1. I just hope the mets don't get any of them (I know Lindor but they could move someone to 3B or OF). Turner is from FL and went to NC State, I could see him wanting to come back east...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-13-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Let's just get 2/3. Turner played OF before. Correa looks like an OF or he can play some 3B and Austin can DH.

I know we really aren't handing out deals to two of these guys, I'd be sorta surprised at 1. I just hope the mets don't get any of them (I know Lindor but they could move someone to 3B or OF). Turner is from FL and went to NC State, I could see him wanting to come back east...
    Dont think the Mets will be in on any of them. Already have Baty/Escobar for 3B and McNeill for 2nd. Best guesses are Braves, Cubs, Giants, Cards, Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies to name a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Dont think the Mets will be in on any of them. Already have Baty/Escobar for 3B and McNeill for 2nd. Best guesses are Braves, Cubs, Giants, Cards, Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies to name a few.
    Lot of competition from big money clubs. Don't wanna lose Swanson bc we flirted too long with the others

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Lot of competition from big money clubs. Don't wanna lose Swanson bc we flirted too long with the others
    Just need one of the big 4 FA shortstops. It'll certainly be interesting how AA plays it out, b/c that's basically our big hole/move this winter to find a shortstop.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    AA doesn't seem to flirt much. My guess is he will have a SS contract and he'll offer it to a bunch of guys and see who accepts first.

AA typically moves really fast for a guy or two he likes. Then it's the long waiting game. I have to think he gets one big name guy at SS or LF.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    AA doesn't seem to flirt much. My guess is he will have a SS contract and he'll offer it to a bunch of guys and see who accepts first.

AA typically moves really fast for a guy or two he likes. Then it's the long waiting game. I have to think he gets one big name guy at SS or LF.
    Other than Judge, outfield is a bunch of ehhh guys. He can more than wait to get one if we have the money for one. I agree he'll probably give the same contract to 2-3 shortstops and see if any accept.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Other than Judge, outfield is a bunch of ehhh guys. He can more than wait to get one if we have the money for one. I agree he'll probably give the same contract to 2-3 shortstops and see if any accept.
    If i'm not mistaken, last season, Correa's agent reached out to us to see if we'd be interested in the contract he got from the Twins. I wouldn't be surprised if we are connected to him.

I do expect us to land one of the top 4 SS though. And I do feel that it won't be Dansby.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    If i'm not mistaken, last season, Correa's agent reached out to us to see if we'd be interested in the contract he got from the Twins. I wouldn't be surprised if we are connected to him.

I do expect us to land one of the top 4 SS though. And I do feel that it won't be Dansby.
    Correa's ask is supposedly somewhere in the vicinity of 7/210 MM. I don't know if that fits or not. I don't see a discount coming from any of these guys. Correa is 28, Turner is 29, and Bogaerts is 30, so this is probably their last chance at a big contract in terms of both AAV and years. You might get a bit of a discount out of Swanson, but if the big three are off the board, he will likely have the remaining suitors. We don't have a ton of prospect capital and we don't have an heir apparent in the system, so covering the position will likely have to come through the free agent market.

I think Anthopoulos has a broad framework from which he will work and he'll no doubt get a read on the guys who rank above Swanson (Correa, Bogaerts, Turner). I disagree with Russ a bit. I agree that Anthopoulos doesn't flirt, but he does play a waiting game. Ozuna was a late-signee in both 2020 and 2021. The Freeman decision came right down to the wire. Granted, COVID in the 2020-2021 off-season and lockout in 2021-2022 played a part in that, but I have never seen him as someone who jumps early for the most part.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Correa's ask is supposedly somewhere in the vicinity of 7/210 MM. I don't know if that fits or not. I don't see a discount coming from any of these guys. Correa is 28, Turner is 29, and Bogaerts is 30, so this is probably their last chance at a big contract in terms of both AAV and years. You might get a bit of a discount out of Swanson, but if the big three are off the board, he will likely have the remaining suitors. We don't have a ton of prospect capital and we don't have an heir apparent in the system, so covering the position will likely have to come through the free agent market.

I think Anthopoulos has a broad framework from which he will work and he'll no doubt get a read on the guys who rank above Swanson (Correa, Bogaerts, Turner). I disagree with Russ a bit. I agree that Anthopoulos doesn't flirt, but he does play a waiting game. Ozuna was a late-signee in both 2020 and 2021. The Freeman decision came right down to the wire. Granted, COVID in the 2020-2021 off-season and lockout in 2021-2022 played a part in that, but I have never seen him as someone who jumps early for the most part.
    I still think Dansby is going to have to think hard about accepting the Qualifying Offer. He likely won't, but you have to consider he will have much less competition on the open market the following year for the SS class, and also get paid around $19 million next year if he accepts.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2022)