Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Official Offseason Thread

With the regular season officially over, it is time to start paying attention to the offseason, which I think will be a very interesting one for us here in Atlanta.

34 Players officially became free agents today, of course, more will after the world series ends.

Catchers
    Taylor Davis (Pirates)
    Dustin Garneau (Tigers)
    Andrew Knapp (Giants)
    Pedro Severino (Brewers)

Infielders
    Willians Astudillo (Marlins)
    Johan Camargo (Phillies)
    Michael Chavis (Pirates)
    Matt Davidson (Athletics)
    Dixon Machado (Giants)
    Richie Martin (Orioles)
    Josh VanMeter (Pirates)
    Tyler Wade (Yankees)

Outfielders
    Greg Allen (Pirates)
    Lewis Brinson (Giants)
    Jaylin Davis (Red Sox)
    Jonathan Davis (Brewers)
    Jackson Frazier (Cubs)
    Brett Phillips (Orioles)

Pitchers
    Tyler Beede (Pirates)
    Austin Brice (Pirates)
    Miguel Del Pozo (Tigers)
    Jerad Eickhoff (Pirates)
    Luke Farrell (Reds)
    Paul Fry (Diamondbacks)
    Eric Hanhold (Pirates)
    Travis Lakins Sr. (Orioles)
    Mike Mayers (Angels)
    Daniel Mengden (Royals)
    Juan Minaya (Nationals)
    Sean Newcomb (Cubs)
    Dillon Peters (Pirates)
    Dereck Rodriguez (Twins)
    Cesar Valdez (Angels)
    Aneurys Zabala (Marlins)
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    clvclv probably has the 40-man eligible guys we will have to consider adding, but I don't see this as necessarily being a hectic off-season for the Braves outside of negotiating with Swanson and considering an extension for Fried. The aquisition of Iglesias likely negates the need to bring back Jansen (although I wouldn't rule that out). No lockout helps and the core is pretty much in place.

I'd like to see an upgrade to LF and there doesn't appear to be a readily-available internal option. Ozuna is likely here again. I don't know Anthopoulos' pattern (if there is one) on sending considerable amounts of cash/prospect with a player to dump a bad contract, but that's about the only way he leaves town. I wouldn't be surprised if Duvall is back for less money than he signed for in 2022.

Lists of immediate off-season free agents is always interesting. Brinson was the centerpiece of the deal that sent him from the Brewers to the Marlins as parrt of the Yelich deal, but he has just never put it together. A lot of other highly-regarded prospects who have yet to blossom also on that list.

PS to the last paragraph: I didn't know that OF Clint Frazier now goes by Jackson Frazier. I know that some in here get all hot and bothered by Clint and have been lobbying for the Braves to obtain him over the years, so here's the chance. Solid minor league numbers but since hitting the big league, he strikes out more than I did on the bar scene on weekend nights than I did during my misspent youth.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-07-2022 at 11:28 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-08-2022), thethe (10-10-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    clvclv probably has the 40-man eligible guys we will have to consider adding, but I don't see this as necessarily being a hectic off-season for the Braves outside of negotiating with Swanson and considering an extension for Fried. The aquisition of Iglesias likely negates the need to bring back Jansen (although I wouldn't rule that out). No lockout helps and the core is pretty much in place.

I'd like to see an upgrade to LF and there doesn't appear to be a readily-available internal option. Ozuna is likely here again. I don't know Anthopoulos' pattern (if there is one) on sending considerable amounts of cash/prospect with a player to dump a bad contract, but that's about the only way he leaves town. I wouldn't be surprised if Duvall is back for less money than he signed for in 2022.

Lists of immediate off-season free agents is always interesting. Brinson was the centerpiece of the deal that sent him from the Brewers to the Marlins as parrt of the Yelich deal, but he has just never put it together. A lot of other highly-regarded prospects who have yet to blossom also on that list.

PS to the last paragraph: I didn't know that OF Clint Frazier now goes by Jackson Frazier. I know that some in here get all hot and bothered by Clint and have been lobbying for the Braves to obtain him over the years, so here's the chance. Solid minor league numbers but since hitting the big league, he strikes out more than I did on the bar scene on weekend nights than I did during my misspent youth.
    I think the excitement for me is the relative unknown with AA. We can be going into spring training with next to no moves, or there could have been several big moves none of us saw coming.
    Get off my lawn!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think the excitement for me is the relative unknown with AA. We can be going into spring training with next to no moves, or there could have been several big moves none of us saw coming.
    What makes me think it's going to be relatively quiet is that we are probably close to the top of the budget when figuring what remains to be done, so there probably won't be a lot of moving parts. A lot boils down to Swanson and, to a lesser extent, Fried. Up here in Minnesota, it's kind of a foregone conclusion that Correa will opt out and he supposedly is looking for something in the neighborhood of 7/210. Not getting Swanson done (or not wanting to get Swanson done) would cause an upward spike in that possibility.

We don't have a ton of top-drawer prospect capital right now, but I could see Anderson and Muller being shopped. Maybe those guys go along with Ozuna in a deal instead of money.

The core is in place and outside of a couple of spots on the pitching staff, I don't see a whole bunch of uncertainty.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Ozuna has looked much better lately and he could have a good playoff performance that makes traded him much easier. I read where we tried to swap bad contracts (Craig Mahsi) with Miami for Avisal Garcia before the deadline so I do think he’ll be traded.

I wonder what the plan is for Manny Pina. He’ll make $4.5M next year. Do we keep him and put Contreras at DH full time or trade him?

If we keep Dansby that could make Arcia expendable with Grissom on the bench and Shewmake added to the 40 man roster.

I’d like to get rid of Eddie too

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Ozuna has looked much better lately and he could have a good playoff performance that makes traded him much easier. I read where we tried to swap bad contracts (Craig Mahsi) with Miami for Avisal Garcia before the deadline so I do think he’ll be traded.

I wonder what the plan is for Manny Pina. He’ll make $4.5M next year. Do we keep him and put Contreras at DH full time or trade him?

If we keep Dansby that could make Arcia expendable with Grissom on the bench and Shewmake added to the 40 man roster.

I’d like to get rid of Eddie too
    If Grissom isn't starting I'd put him in AAA. I think he has enough upside that I want him to play everyday. Arcia can handle the super sub option.

Ozuna I think could be moved. Only has two years on the deal and still hits the ball hard.

I think you keep Pina and let Wild Bill and TDA pinch hit. We've had a major catcher injury every year for a while. Obviously if someone wants to offer a top 100 prospect for Pina you take him, but that's not happening. I'm not moving him for salary.

I think the question for AA will be where can he get the biggest impact player. Is it at SS or LF? Can he get an impact bat at either place without a 5+ year commitment?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

thethe (10-10-2022)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Remember that the Braves seem to do deep analytics to identify guys who are overlooked for one reason or another. This leads to AA picking up guys that we have not considered, and for the most part it has worked out. There have obviously been a few guys who have disappointed, but several guys who looked to us like scrap heap pickups who have worked out pretty well.

I suspect AA will come up with a player or two who we are not expecting. We will all go "Huh?"

He has not been perfect, but overall the results have been pretty good.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Remember that the Braves seem to do deep analytics to identify guys who are overlooked for one reason or another. This leads to AA picking up guys that we have not considered, and for the most part it has worked out. There have obviously been a few guys who have disappointed, but several guys who looked to us like scrap heap pickups who have worked out pretty well.

I suspect AA will come up with a player or two who we are not expecting. We will all go "Huh?"

He has not been perfect, but overall the results have been pretty good.
    Maybe true, but I can't understand what level of analytics told him signing Rosario to a two-year/$9 MM AAV deal made much sense. I think this gets overblown a little. Anthopoulos has a type and he tends to gravitate toward that type. I'm not saying he's "analytics be damned," but I don't rule out the gut with him.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Yeah, I'm expecting a pretty sedate offseason. We have five positions on the diamond locked up until approximately the heat death of the universe. We're set at catcher for another year, and in left field we have probably untradeable contracts for Ozuna and Rosario, so not a lot of flexibility out there. Four of the five rotation spots are set, and while there's always churn in the bullpen, that's not really a pressing need. Plus, the rather destitute state of our farm system makes playing in the trade market pretty tricky.

Hell, I was going to say I'd like us to focus on adding bench depth, but with the ridiculous shortened benches teams play with today, we're already looking at Catcher Getting The Day Off, Overpaid Left Fielder and Arcia on the bench, so there's not a lot of room to add even there.

So the whole offseason is basically going to be about Dansby and whatever we want to do at shortstop, if we want to spend big on a starter and then filling out at the margins.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2022)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Aight, I got a murph3 like trade idea

Ozuna and Eddie for Yelich and $24M ( or whatever that number needs to be)

The first year would be a wash on money so a big win, the 2nd would be CY at 26M vs Ozuna at 18M so a win. Then we’d lose the next 4 years paying CY $26M for age 33-36 seasons. The $24M could offset that to $20M per year but that’s still a lot. I’m not sure what money would need. to come back.

He still gets on base at a .360 clip and has a high BB rate, he’s just not hit for power since he signed the big contract. He doesn’t seem happy either, she a change of scenery could get help.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2022), thethe (10-10-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Aight, I got a murph3 like trade idea

Ozuna and Eddie for Yelich and $24M ( or whatever that number needs to be)

The first year would be a wash on money so a big win, the 2nd would be CY at 26M vs Ozuna at 18M so a win. Then we’d lose the next 4 years paying CY $26M for age 33-36 seasons. The $24M could offset that to $20M per year but that’s still a lot. I’m not sure what money would need. to come back.

He still gets on base at a .360 clip and has a high BB rate, he’s just not hit for power since he signed the big contract. He doesn’t seem happy either, she a change of scenery could get help.
    I think it is more injury related for Yelich. He hasn't been the same since he broke his knee
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    LF and Dansby/SS is probably the main topic of discussion for the Braves. Maybe a bullpen arm to replace Jansen, but thats about it. Not sure if we'd try to attach a prospect to get rid of Ozuna/Eddie.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2022)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Nimmo and Conforto are attractive names for LF consideration to me. If Dansby moves on Id look into an Ozuna and Rosario deal with Detroit for Javy Baez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    AA is going to do this : sign Dansby. Then sign DeGrom. Then trade Strider and Rosario. And Anderson, and Grissom and Vodnik and Shewmake.
    For Mike Trout.
    😎😎😎

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-08-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We are in as good of shape as anybody going into the offseason. SS and LF are our 2 priorities imo. I’m more curious about Grissom as I am anybody. Do they teach him to play the OF in the offseason and let him and Rosario platoon? I think we need another good bullpen arm bc we know how important a good bullpen is. I think Diaz will be a dark horse here. Smith and Jansen, Jansen and Iglesias, Smith and Melancon. AA loves to have 2 closers on the team it seems like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Hate the second year on the Rosario deal. I think we all did the moment it happened.

I'd love to get Joc back if he's willing to be treated like the Giants treated him, no lefties ever. In that case maybe you keep Ozuna as his expensive platoon partner and dumping Rosario's 1 year 9 million shouldn't cost a lot of money or prospects.

Ideally you get rid of both and maybe Grossman will come back on the cheap.

Or you just muddle through b/c AA is basically batting 1000 on of help at th deadline.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We are in as good of shape as anybody going into the offseason. SS and LF are our 2 priorities imo. I’m more curious about Grissom as I am anybody. Do they teach him to play the OF in the offseason and let him and Rosario platoon? I think we need another good bullpen arm bc we know how important a good bullpen is. I think Diaz will be a dark horse here. Smith and Jansen, Jansen and Iglesias, Smith and Melancon. AA loves to have 2 closers on the team it seems like.
    I still think Grissom is too good a prospect to play on the short side of a platoon. Only see him up for that role if DH is cleared and he's getting a lot of at bats there.

I think Jansen comes back over someone like Diaz. Maybe they get him on 15 million with a team option with a 2 million buy out. One year big money is more his style. Interesting to think if they see Yates having a chance to be high leverage next year.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-09-2022)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Hate the second year on the Rosario deal. I think we all did the moment it happened.

I'd love to get Joc back if he's willing to be treated like the Giants treated him, no lefties ever. In that case maybe you keep Ozuna as his expensive platoon partner and dumping Rosario's 1 year 9 million shouldn't cost a lot of money or prospects.

Ideally you get rid of both and maybe Grossman will come back on the cheap.

Or you just muddle through b/c AA is basically batting 1000 on of help at th deadline.
    Too lazy to look but has Rosario been that bad since the eye issues fixed? What is the attraction to Grossman? Does Joc add anything better than Ozuna in the long run?

Just as an aside, Braves won WS 21 without Acuna, 22 still up for grabs but without Albies pretty much all year. Young guys fixed in lineup, prospects showing up by loads. Pitching in place for few years by and large. Does anyone see just how much Acuna and Albies could bring back?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Does anyone see just how much Acuna and Albies could bring back?
    Would they bring back alot? Sure. What would even be the point of that during this contention window?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Too lazy to look but has Rosario been that bad since the eye issues fixed? What is the attraction to Grossman? Does Joc add anything better than Ozuna in the long run?

Just as an aside, Braves won WS 21 without Acuna, 22 still up for grabs but without Albies pretty much all year. Young guys fixed in lineup, prospects showing up by loads. Pitching in place for few years by and large. Does anyone see just how much Acuna and Albies could bring back?
    Joc was much better than Rosario and ozuna.

Trading acuna or Albies is laughable. Those are impact guys on sub market deals. You want more of those guys not less.