Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Turner will be with us.

DeGrom will have Mets fans in shambles when he takes a below AAV deal to try and win a ring with us after we repeat.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-14-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Mets fans wouldnt be mad if he left, just dont want him in Atlanta or with the Yanks.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    DeGrom is likely to be pretty expensive even if he's not maximizing his earnings. Could see it happening, but as others have said, it would likely mean passing on other needs or sending some big coin with Ozuna and/or Rosario to play somewhere else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Another offseason, another round of comments about a player being willing to take a discount to be close to home.

AA likely has about $40M to spend, and deGrom is going to cost close to that or more.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Another offseason, another round of comments about a player being willing to take a discount to be close to home.

AA likely has about $40M to spend, and deGrom is going to cost close to that or more.
    Not if he takes a hometown discount. Bet you didn’t think bout that.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-14-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I prefer to keep it simple. Sign Swanson and save the rest for the trade deadline.
    thank you weso1!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    DeGrom is the kind of player who can be thinking about legacy too. He can stay a career Met and be loved there. Maybe get to call games, etc.

He could also be looking to find the best place to win a title so he can sure up his Hall of Fame Case.

I just don't see us having the money for DeGrom with SS being such a huge hole. Putting Grissom there just does not seem like a viable option unless there is a stud in LF to counteract the drop off from Dansby. And as everyone said, there is not obvious path to a stud LF given the FA market and our farm system. Even moving Ozuna's salary doesn't get us there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    DeGrom is the kind of player who can be thinking about legacy too. He can stay a career Met and be loved there. Maybe get to call games, etc.

He could also be looking to find the best place to win a title so he can sure up his Hall of Fame Case.

I just don't see us having the money for DeGrom with SS being such a huge hole. Putting Grissom there just does not seem like a viable option unless there is a stud in LF to counteract the drop off from Dansby. And as everyone said, there is not obvious path to a stud LF given the FA market and our farm system. Even moving Ozuna's salary doesn't get us there.
    NY media talking about Buster Olneys report regarding deGrom which really has not changed since June. Olney says he compares it to the Halladay situation where he wanted to be closer to home, forcing the Blue Jays to eventually trade him to the Phillies. It may not come down to money, it could come down to wanting to be closer to his North Florida home and of course the chance to win. The Rays and Marlins wouldn't be a fit.

Just imagine a rotation of deGrom, Fried, Strider, Wright, Morton....that would be the best rotation in the game, no question. I have heard some people talking about trading from pitching depth, but i'd keep them knowing deGroms injury risk. So Elder, Anderson, Mueller, etc. would stay in AAA.

Could you roll with Arcia as your everyday SS with Grissom being a super-sub? Not sure. I'd rather have Grissom getting everyday at bats and I personally think he needs some more seasoning at AAA. You could check down and sign someone like an Elvis Andrus to cover SS on a 1 year deal if you feel Grissom is your SS of the future. I guess that could be what the Braves have to decide.

Acuna RF
    Harris CF
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    d'Arnaud C
    Albies 2B
    Contreras DH
    Ozuna LF
    Andrus SS

deGrom
    Fried
    Strider
    Wright
    Morton

Is that a better team than this years? It could be. But there is a TON of risk
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    I know we're all drooling over DeGrom. But for the multi year high dollar value commitment it would take, I just don't see why we would take the risk. Look at his injury history over the past few years. He cant even complete a full season anymore. Why would we take the risk?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I know we're all drooling over DeGrom. But for the multi year high dollar value commitment it would take, I just don't see why we would take the risk. Look at his injury history over the past few years. He cant even complete a full season anymore. Why would we take the risk?
    this is my stance. I would love to have him.. but paying him 30 million over 3-5 years is not what I would do. We have enough to win without taking on that risk.. now if AA can afford that and not hamstring the team, then go get the guy.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I mean 35 mill for 12 starts? That’s Mike Hampton Status

Pass
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    this is my stance. I would love to have him.. but paying him 30 million over 3-5 years is not what I would do. We have enough to win without taking on that risk.. now if AA can afford that and not hamstring the team, then go get the guy.
    The only way it makes sense, and I do stress that, is because the core is locked up for the next 5+ years.

But again, it would mean checking down on SS to either Arcia, Grissom, or MAYBE Andrus. I think t he offense is okay with that as an option.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Qualifying offer for this offseason has been set at $19.65M
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Turner is a good enough hitter to be a stud no matter where he plays. I’d rather have him than deGrom for 30+.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Seasons over let’s bump this back up

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Seasons over let’s bump this back up
    Nah we'll make a new one.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Although it sucks we lost today, you have to feel good about where this team is at going into the offseason.

Outside of SS, rotation spot, a pen addition or two this team is pretty set. I also feel that guys like Olson, Harris, etc. will benefit greatly next season from the shift ban.

I wouldn't mind bringing back a guy like Pederson (if we can get rid of Rosario). The dude brought a lot of swagger and grit to this team last year that I felt like this years team lacked.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Although it sucks we lost today, you have to feel good about where this team is at going into the offseason.

Outside of SS, rotation spot, a pen addition or two this team is pretty set. I also feel that guys like Olson, Harris, etc. will benefit greatly next season from the shift ban.

I wouldn't mind bringing back a guy like Pederson (if we can get rid of Rosario). The dude brought a lot of swagger and grit to this team last year that I felt like this years team lacked.
    I started the other one bc Sav said to make a new one.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I do have all the 40-Man info, but can’t get to it at the moment, sorry. Dealing with some relatively serious health concerns at the moment. Hope to be back to “normal” towards the end of the week or first of next week.
    Just a lurker anymore, but thinking about CLV as Dad & I watch the WBC, wondering when he last posted. Sadly, I believe this was his last post mentioning health concerns just 5 days before he passed. RIP, clv.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-20-2023), Carp (05-05-2023), DirkPiggler (03-22-2023), jpx7 (03-20-2023), Mrs. Meta (03-28-2023), The Chosen One (03-20-2023)