Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Strider!!! 6 years 75M (22M Club Option 29')

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Wonder if the other rotation extension target wouldn’t be Wright rather than Fried. Make plugging the holes something Alex seems more comfortable with (high-AAV, short-term deals) to also help mitigate risk.

If you lock both Wright and Strider up through 2029 with the rest of the core, Alex ought to have his choice of most every veteran replacement for Fried and Morton for the rest of the decade. Who WOULDN’T be willing to take the Morton deal to pitch for a contender as they get into their mid-30s?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    I understand that. And I also understand that the contract is not expensive compared to the value he can be reasonably expected to return. But sometimes, there are players with whom it may be wise to just ride out the 6 years of control and evaluate his trajectory. Don't get me wrong, I love Strider, and enjoy having a truly dominant starter. But I wonder if he doesn't fall into this category.
    I get this logic and with pitchers it pays on the whole to be risk adverse. I just see Strider as a guy who is almost guaranteed to have his arb years picked up by Braves so this contract just formalizes that.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wonder if the other rotation extension target wouldn’t be Wright rather than Fried. Make plugging the holes something Alex seems more comfortable with (high-AAV, short-term deals) to also help mitigate risk.

If you lock both Wright and Strider up through 2029 with the rest of the core, Alex ought to have his choice of most every veteran replacement for Fried and Morton for the rest of the decade. Who WOULDN’T be willing to take the Morton deal to pitch for a contender as they get into their mid-30s?
    Wrights definitely a guy I'd be interested in locking up as I think it would be cheaper than Strider and he (Wright) may have less certainty about his future and would be willing to sacrifice more for financial security.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Wrights definitely a guy I'd be interested in locking up as I think it would be cheaper than Strider and he (Wright) may have less certainty about his future and would be willing to sacrifice more for financial security.
    It would have to be a holy smokin vaginas type deal for the Braves. We already control Wright through his age 30 season.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It would have to be a holy smokin vaginas type deal for the Braves. We already control Wright through his age 30 season.
    I get what you're saying but lots of pitchers seem to be performing well into their 30's and Wright isn't completely a guy that relies on high octane velocity.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I get what you're saying but lots of pitchers seem to be performing well into their 30's and Wright isn't completely a guy that relies on high octane velocity.
    The high octane velocity guys age better than the rest. We have seen what Kyle Wright with stuff a grade lower looks like.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That’s the reason I mentioned it - get rid of ANY payroll questions by taking away any arbitration unknowns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Fried has to have been approached several times and turned them down to not have something done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The high octane velocity guys age better than the rest. We have seen what Kyle Wright with stuff a grade lower looks like.
    He threw harder in years past when he got bombed.

I'm not married to the idea of extending Wright but I think its clicked and he has a great pedigree.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    This is so unnecessary.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    He threw harder in years past when he got bombed.
    Wright literally set career highs in velocity on every type pitch this year.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Wright literally set career highs in velocity on every type pitch this year.
    I was looking at the 21 year on fangraphs - My bad.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Zips projections for wright and strider next 3 years...

Wright: 1.3, 1.6, 1.6
    Strider: 1.2, 1.1, 1.2

Is this a joke? Have they just not updated it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Zips is awful for young players without a substantial body of evidence at hte big league level.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Those Zips projections are old. The new ones will come this off-season (hence all the excitement when the team ZIPs reports start dropping).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Absolutely amazing deal. Performance wise he would have to regress a long ways to not be worth this contract even passed his arbitration years where we will pay him 20+ million. In 6 years that will be high end money for a 4th starter. The only risk imo is of injury. The upside of having a TOR starter for 2 more years of team control for about half of what a TOR starter goes for at that time is worth the risks with injury. He could break down to the point of having to a reliever and would probably still be worth this contract.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Since Strider will finish top-2 in ROY voting, the Braves were going to lose a year of control so this buys out three free-agent years, I believe.
    The new ROY rules are beyond obtuse and confusing, but I believe you are right. I’m not sure if Strider is guaranteed 1 year of service time (since he was up opening day it doesn’t really impact him much) or if he gets an extra year of service time, which would mean the Braves only had four more years of team control.

If that’s the case, here is the upside. Braves pay Strider 2/$44m + $22m team option for his age 28-30 seasons.

Strider gets guaranteed life changing money at the expense of giving up free agency at age 28 where he might have signed an enormous contract if he reaches his 99th percentile outcome.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 10-10-2022 at 10:26 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Braves just extended control over strider through his age 30 season, and can hit the eject button after his age 29 season.

The Braves already control fried through his age 30 season, and can hit the eject button after any season.

Do we understand why extending fried hasn’t been the highest priority? Some here simply can’t understand it. AA understands though, and this continues his string of good/great moves in the rotation. The only questionable/bad move in that area has been Hamels, and that only hurt for 1 season.

This isn’t some amazing budget saving move, but it’s a solid extension for a team trying to extend their championship window as far as possible. AA is going to ride or die with this core for almost a decade, and it will be fascinating to see how they trigger the rebuild. But until then we will get to enjoy lots of October baseball, which is all any reasonable fan can ask.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-10-2022 at 10:41 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-11-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    The new ROY rules are beyond obtuse and confusing, but I believe you are right. I’m not sure if Strider is guaranteed 1 year of service time (since he was up opening day it doesn’t really impact him much) or if he gets an extra year of service time, which would mean the Braves only had four more years of team control.

If that’s the case, here is the upside. Braves pay Strider 2/$44m + $22m team option for his age 28-30 seasons.

Strider gets guaranteed life changing money at the expense of giving up free agency at age 28 where he might have signed an enormous contract if he reaches his 99th percentile outcome.
    The new ROY rules had little impact on Strider imo. He wasn't a top prospect so no extra picks and he was up on opening day so he's already guaranteed a full year of service time.

Now that wasn't the case with Harris. He was going to get a full year of service time for 2022 when in years past he wouldn't have.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The new ROY rules had little impact on Strider imo. He wasn't a top prospect so no extra picks and he was up on opening day so he's already guaranteed a full year of service time.

Now that wasn't the case with Harris. He was going to get a full year of service time for 2022 when in years past he wouldn't have.
    Ahhh. I see. Thanks for confirming.

So just two free agent years.