Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braves sign Strider!!! 6 years 75M (22M Club Option 29')

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves just extended control over strider through his age 30 season, and can hit the eject button after his age 29 season.

The Braves already control fried through his age 30 season, and can hit the eject button after any season.

Do we understand why extending fried hasn’t been the highest priority? Some here simply can’t understand it. AA understands though, and this continues his string of good/great moves in the rotation. The only questionable/bad move in that area has been Hamels, and that only hurt for 1 season.

This isn’t some amazing budget saving move, but it’s a solid extension for a team trying to extend their championship window as far as possible. AA is going to ride or die with this core for almost a decade, and it will be fascinating to see how they trigger the rebuild. But until then we will get to enjoy lots of October baseball, which is all any reasonable fan can ask.
    It certainly is fascinating as you mentioned to see AA go all in with this core. We really haven't seen another team to this crazy with extensions but it's also arguable if any other organization has produced nearly as much young talent as we have over the past 5 years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I find it funny that other fan bases say the Braves should be investigated for signing up all of our young core players But at the end of the day, the Braves assume a lot of risk. The players themselves don't have to sign those deals if they don't want.

As mentioned earlier, I find it impossible that the Braves haven't made at least some offer to Swanson and Fried. Neither have signed, which makes me think they are both likely to be gone at the end of their deals.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I find it funny that other fan bases say the Braves should be investigated for signing up all of our young core players But at the end of the day, the Braves assume a lot of risk. The players themselves don't have to sign those deals if they don't want.

As mentioned earlier, I find it impossible that the Braves haven't made at least some offer to Swanson and Fried. Neither have signed, which makes me think they are both likely to be gone at the end of their deals.
    Fried still has two years until free agency. He’s a bad elbow away from losing hundreds of millions of dollars. This winter two years before free agency is typically the one where you see guys sign extensions. If I had to guess, Fried signs the Musgrove deal + 10% with us.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I was hoping enscheff would do the math.

Off the top of my head it didn’t seem like we were getting enough of a discount. We bought our two years of free agency, but at a solid number.

This is guy who has had tj, had an oblique and throws 100.

That said they may think that aa will be paying 22 million for high leverage relievers on short deals so that can be the option if there are performance issues.

Strider does seem to have a disciplined approach designed to maximize his performance.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Strider does seem to have a disciplined approach designed to maximize his performance.
    I think this aspect is both huge and very difficult to quantify.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Buying out 2 FA years for 2/44 isnt bad. Certainly some risk. Regarding Fried, i just dont see AA giving him the money he'd most likely get on the FA market, hopefully someone on the farm is ready once his control is over with.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Buying out 2 FA years for 2/44 isnt bad. Certainly some risk. Regarding Fried, i just dont see AA giving him the money he'd most likely get on the FA market, hopefully someone on the farm is ready once his control is over with.
    I think AA will approach Fried (and Swanson) the same way he approached Freeman and Olson. AA basically gave Olson close to the same extension we offered FF (6/132 for the free agent years)

He’s going to have a price which he feels is fair for Fried. If Fried takes it, great. If not, you’ll still be able to find an excellent starting pitcher who is going to be willing to sign for 5/125 (or thereabouts). It’s not Fried or bust.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 10-10-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    MLBtraderumors says the Braves now have $76 million on their books 6 years from now. They compare that to the Padres $57 million and the Rangers $51 million. The difference? The Braves have 4 players signed to the 2 players for the Padres and Rangers. The other item of note appears to be AA is investing in guys that want to be in Atlanta, that understand a culture of winning, that aren't prima donnas and understand how to play the game the right way.

You have insurance on these contracts to protect against injury. Thus, the biggest fear in this contract with Strider is that he can't handle the workload. So what. At that price he is still a bargain at the back end of the pen.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Fried probably just knows his worth and isn't willing to sign a below market deal so close to FA. I have zero doubt he'd accept a 7/150 extension (or somewhere thereabouts) if offered. Braves probably want something more in the the 5/90 range with a couple of option years.
    I looked at Musgrove's contract last night and he signed a 5 year/$100 MM extension since hitting San Diego and as well as he's pitched, Fried has 7 more bWAR in 3/4 of the innings. If Musgrove is the baseline, Fried's probably looking for something in the 30 MM AAV.

As per the Strider deal, I really think Anthopoulos is getting extension-happy. This isn't a terrible deal, but he's tying up a lot of money.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-10-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Strider calling out the Mets and being right about them this week plus signing that extension today has to feel like a giant W for him. l

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Today's 3rd inning should be scary for us all. When he lost a little bit of velocity, he was pretty bad. Hopefully he can maintain his velocity at least long enough to master his secondary pitches

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Today's 3rd inning should be scary for us all. When he lost a little bit of velocity, he was pretty bad. Hopefully he can maintain his velocity at least long enough to master his secondary pitches
    If nothing else it shows that, barring a permanent loss of velocity, his downside for the duration of the contract should be lights out closer/high leverage reliever. By the end of his deal that would probably still be enough to justify the cost from the team's perspective.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-21-2022), cajunrevenge (10-23-2022), jpx7 (10-22-2022)