Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Rosario is a career .794 ops vs rhp. I expect him to be closer to that than his abysmal season last year. Add a rh platoon, and lf is ok imo
    He's also a defensive liability. I'd rather have a competent defensive LF who can hit RHP and LHP and let Rosario get mostly DH at bats.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Braves just need a real LF. This is still a really good team. Really good. Just a competent LF and the lineup is very good. Rosario plus the catchers will be good enough at DH.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Interesting how smart teams like the Dodgers and Astros have basically sat out free agency (outside of some fringe signings on the margins). Both teams have lost key players from last year. Sounds similar to the Braves.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

brian22 (12-18-2022)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Interesting how smart teams like the Dodgers and Astros have basically sat out free agency (outside of some fringe signings on the margins). Both teams have lost key players from last year. Sounds similar to the Braves.
    Yeah. Wonder how the farm systems compare. Will have to check that out one day.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    lol. how many studs have the braves called up recently? braves are still younger than both those teams by a good bit.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Braves have a much younger core than both of those teams… and it’s beside my larger point. You don’t have to sign free agents. There’s different, more effective ways to spend money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Perhaps AA and wash really believe Grissom is ready for short. With the rate the braves hit on positional prospects, I don't doubt it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Losing Swanson is fine. The freeman debacle will single handedly prevent us from winning at least one more World Series.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If they grab Ozuna sure but for prospects hell no. You think Crawford make this team better?
    I do if he’s on the team and ozuna is not. I would not add a prospect of any real value to do that.

But it’s possible Crawford is a 2-3 win ss. He’s a vet. He makes Grissom earn ss vs being given it. He has only one more year on his deal and ozuna has two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I’m not in favor of a back up cf. I don’t think snit will use him. And I think you need to let Harris hit and learn. Results were not good but he didn’t look awful to me.

At the deadline you could pick up an of for nothing like aa has done. Move acuna to cf in that particular playofff game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We need a real lf. Or two lottery tickets and hope between ozuna Rosario and the lottery tickets that one has a good year. Lottery ticket I’m thinking like peralta and turner combo. Both old and might suck but maybe one can still hit.

Conforto is hard bc he was bad the year before he got hurt.

But conforto needs to want to **** the Mets and come to us. 2/25 with an opt out after year 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Perhaps AA and wash really believe Grissom is ready for short. With the rate the braves hit on positional prospects, I don't doubt it at all.
    Said this earlier. I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt on our own self scouting.

That doesn’t mean he’ll be Harris. Could be a Riley situation where it takes time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    With arb we are a file and trial team.

What we’ve seen now is you either extend or you’re gone as a free agent.

Don’t be surprised when max is gone.

No judgment from me that from either side. If you’ve earned more money and want that more than being a brave, go get it.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Braves farm system isnt good but look who we've graduated. No one knew who Harris, Strider or Grissom were a year ago lol. Braves have one of the youngest teams in baseball for the most part. Dodgers have lost Turner, Anderson, Heaney, Kahnle, Justin Turner is unsigned, Bellinger. Braves have basically only lost Swanson and Jansen but the BP is DEEP.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I'm more than okay with Arcia/Grissom, and some combo of Murphy, TDA, other guys rotating at DH. LF is the big need, we need to fill. Still some guys out there in free agency. With Swanson situation now done, hope AA makes one move for one of those guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Braves farm system isnt good but look who we've graduated. No one knew who Harris, Strider or Grissom were a year ago lol. Braves have one of the youngest teams in baseball for the most part. Dodgers have lost Turner, Anderson, Heaney, Kahnle, Justin Turner is unsigned, Bellinger. Braves have basically only lost Swanson and Jansen but the BP is DEEP.
    I'm not convinced about the overall depth of the pen. It's probably about as good as almost anyone else's, but we're one Minter injury away from being kind of ****ed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'm more than okay with Arcia/Grissom, and some combo of Murphy, TDA, other guys rotating at DH. LF is the big need, we need to fill. Still some guys out there in free agency. With Swanson situation now done, hope AA makes one move for one of those guys.
    There should be at least $17M to give if that's what we were offering Swanson. Unless Enscheff is correct and that was offered with the understanding he wouldn't accept and Morton got his money. Is ownership willing to allow the team to go over the luxury threshold for a Conforto/Brantley type?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I'm not convinced about the overall depth of the pen. It's probably about as good as almost anyone else's, but we're one Minter injury away from being kind of ****ed.
    Right now we have- Iggy, McHugh, Anderson, Yates, Jimenez, Chavez, Santana, Minter, Lee. I mean you can say we'd be screwed if we lost Minter but you can say the same thing with alot of teams. Mets are beyond screwed if Diaz went down, Astros would be screwed losing one of their top guys, Dodgers the same, and so on. I actually like the depth of our pen. Maybe try to get Taylor Rogers on a 1 year pact?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    There should be at least $17M to give if that's what we were offering Swanson. Unless Enscheff is correct and that was offered with the understanding he wouldn't accept and Morton got his money. Is ownership willing to allow the team to go over the luxury threshold for a Conforto/Brantley type?
    Yeah we have 17-18 if we offered 6-100. No one knows if we'd be able to go over for a Brantley/Conforto or a BP arm, or a guy like Andrus, etc. Or a trade for a guy like Kepler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    What's Luke Jackson's ETA?