Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But if Duvall doesn't get hurt, Harris probably doesn't come up for another month (or maybe two). Odd year in that respect. Braves suffer two injuries to starters--Duvall and Albies--and the guys they call up just scorch; Harris for the whole time he was up and Grissom for about a month.

I guess I bring up Duvall because it's pretty clear that both Anthopoulos and Snitker like him. I mean Anthopoulos has traded for him twice and Snitker seems to ignore the meaning of the world "platoon" when it comes to Duvall. I could see him back on a fairly cheap deal taking Heredia's place. Problem there is that I think Duvall has to play somewhat regularly to be any kind of hitter.
    have a feeling we may have to settle for a Rosario-Duvall platoon. The issue is, Snit doesn’t know how to do a strict platoon.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Losing him was a huge loss. I am all for bringing Duvall back.
    Not opposed

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Most important off-season question won’t be answered till start of next season. Can Acuna be Acuna.

When he was right the guy was a legitimate top 5 player in the game that was a unique difference maker. He was a shell of himself this season. Really gotta just hope he can get it back together

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Most important off-season question won’t be answered till start of next season. Can Acuna be Acuna.

When he was right the guy was a legitimate top 5 player in the game that was a unique difference maker. He was a shell of himself this season. Really gotta just hope he can get it back together
    I think we have good reasons to be optimistic about that. Scuba seemed affected a lot by his recovery but showed flashes. There are other question marks though. For instance I like Harris a lot but wonder if he can maintain his performance level. Also shortstop is up in the ear and even if we keep Dansby he far and away had his best year which is always cause for concern backing it up.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    I think we have good reasons to be optimistic about that. Scuba seemed affected a lot by his recovery but showed flashes. There are other question marks though. For instance I like Harris a lot but wonder if he can maintain his performance level. Also shortstop is up in the ear and even if we keep Dansby he far and away had his best year which is always cause for concern backing it up.
    Need to extent Scuba.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Need to extent Scuba.
    Scuba Steve and the Scuba squad

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (10-16-2022)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Just my thoughts on the roster for next year

Rotation: Set at four spots with Fried, Wright, Morton, and Strider. Big question with those four is if Fried gets extended before Opening Day. So what about the other spot. I know many Braves fans are wishing for deGrom, but I’m not comfortable throwing that kind of money at someone who as talented as he is, has been hurt for a good part of the last couple of years. Also, what about Ian Anderson and Mike Soroka? Was this bad year just an abbreviation for Anderson? Soroka hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors in over two years. Have to wonder what he has now.

Bullpen: Every year, every team has changed in their relief unit. Braves will be no different. Iglesias, Minter, McHugh all solid years to return. Hopefully get a healthy year out of Yates. Jackson possibly mid season. Losing Matsek hurts. A free agent or two will be signed. I don’t think it will happen, but will the Braves entertain the thought of bringing Jansen back? I personally don’t see it, but never know.

Catching: No big change here with TDA and Contreras back. Wonder if we might see William behind the plate a bit more.

Infield: Set for the next several years at the corners. Losing Albies much of the season hurt. Hopefully he’ll have a heathy year upcoming. Elephant in the room, of course, is Swanson. Compared to what Turner, Correa, and if he opts out, Bogarts get, Swanson will have the least costly deal and I hope the Braves bring him back. A lot would say give Grissom the job at SS and let Dansby leave, but we’d lose some on offense, and especially on defense doing that. Probably see a cheap free agent for utility. Good chance Arica might get a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

Outfield: Obviously set in center and right with Harris and Acuna. As for left field…….Ozuna does not need to be a part of the team next year. He’s been a disappointment with the bat since signing his deal and we can’t depend on him to stay out of trouble off the field. So who goes there? How about Grissom? It was talked about late in the season and I think Grissom’s best chance of everyday play, unless Swanson leaves and no SS is signed, I’d moving to LF. Left handed bench bat is covered with Rosario signed for next year. Will need to get a right handed bat. Wouldn’t be surprised I’d either Duvall or Grossman are brought back on a one year deal.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But if Duvall doesn't get hurt, Harris probably doesn't come up for another month (or maybe two). Odd year in that respect. Braves suffer two injuries to starters--Duvall and Albies--and the guys they call up just scorch; Harris for the whole time he was up and Grissom for about a month.

I guess I bring up Duvall because it's pretty clear that both Anthopoulos and Snitker like him. I mean Anthopoulos has traded for him twice and Snitker seems to ignore the meaning of the world "platoon" when it comes to Duvall. I could see him back on a fairly cheap deal taking Heredia's place. Problem there is that I think Duvall has to play somewhat regularly to be any kind of hitter.
    Harris came up while Duvall was healthy. In fact, Duvall turned his season around once he stopped playing CF every night.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (10-21-2022), JohnAdcox (10-17-2022), zedsdead (10-16-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Just my thoughts on the roster for next year

Rotation: Set at four spots with Fried, Wright, Morton, and Strider. Big question with those four is if Fried gets extended before Opening Day. So what about the other spot. I know many Braves fans are wishing for deGrom, but I’m not comfortable throwing that kind of money at someone who as talented as he is, has been hurt for a good part of the last couple of years. Also, what about Ian Anderson and Mike Soroka? Was this bad year just an abbreviation for Anderson? Soroka hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors in over two years. Have to wonder what he has now.

Bullpen: Every year, every team has changed in their relief unit. Braves will be no different. Iglesias, Minter, McHugh all solid years to return. Hopefully get a healthy year out of Yates. Jackson possibly mid season. Losing Matsek hurts. A free agent or two will be signed. I don’t think it will happen, but will the Braves entertain the thought of bringing Jansen back? I personally don’t see it, but never know.

Catching: No big change here with TDA and Contreras back. Wonder if we might see William behind the plate a bit more.

Infield: Set for the next several years at the corners. Losing Albies much of the season hurt. Hopefully he’ll have a heathy year upcoming. Elephant in the room, of course, is Swanson. Compared to what Turner, Correa, and if he opts out, Bogarts get, Swanson will have the least costly deal and I hope the Braves bring him back. A lot would say give Grissom the job at SS and let Dansby leave, but we’d lose some on offense, and especially on defense doing that. Probably see a cheap free agent for utility. Good chance Arica might get a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

Outfield: Obviously set in center and right with Harris and Acuna. As for left field…….Ozuna does not need to be a part of the team next year. He’s been a disappointment with the bat since signing his deal and we can’t depend on him to stay out of trouble off the field. So who goes there? How about Grissom? It was talked about late in the season and I think Grissom’s best chance of everyday play, unless Swanson leaves and no SS is signed, I’d moving to LF. Left handed bench bat is covered with Rosario signed for next year. Will need to get a right handed bat. Wouldn’t be surprised I’d either Duvall or Grossman are brought back on a one year deal.
    Good post. Just one point of clarity. Arcia is already signed to a major league contract next year for about 1.5 mil, with a team option for 2024.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Good post. Just one point of clarity. Arcia is already signed to a major league contract next year for about 1.5 mil, with a team option for 2024.
    Ah, forgot about that. Thanks for clarifying
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    First 2 biggest things for me is of course SS and then Ozuna and Rosario. I’d try my best to move those 2. I don’t know what Reynolds would cost but Grissom, Anderson, Shuster would be a pretty good start. That’d solve LF for several years with a pretty good LH bat and he could move over to CF if Harris ever got hurt or needed a break. I don’t see much in the rotation unless AA really surprised everybody and does get deGrom. Like I said before with Swanson, he’ll be the cheapest if the big 4 so everybody will be moving on him first hoping to get him cheap and it’ll drive up his price tag into a bidding war. I think AA will move on and pivot to one of Correa or Turner even if it costs more money. They have all the data on these guys and know that those 2 guys are more consistent then Swanson and will stay that way for a while. Question is will Swanson repeat this season or revert back to his old self? Defensively he’ll be this player for a few more years then start falling off but offensively he’s not great. We have the money so if we’re gonna upgrade the position this offseason will have to do it. Putting Correa or Turner in the lineup would really make this team dangerous. I still say we’ll be a dark horse for Diaz.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Judge, Turner and Rodon. Get it done AA.

An die hard NC state and Braves fan can dream right?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

CrazyTrain (10-16-2022), UNCBlue012 (10-18-2022)

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Our biggest asset is we have the depth to be selective and make the best move, and we are starting from a position of strength - we won 101 games this year and don't view that to be a fluke or some major over-performance and we probably have just as many guys under-perform as we did over-perform.

--Rotation generally set. Certainly open to adding another TOR guy, but can go to battle with our front 4 and ride the combo of Soroka, Anderson, Mueller, Elder, etc.

--Right field is going to be a major upgrade. Acuna missed 40 games, had several other at DH and even when he played was no where near where he should be

--I actually think Olson generally played at his absolute floor this year. With his raw power, hard to imagine a year that he's less than 3-3.5 WAR and with the shift change / decent luck, gotta think there is high probability chance he is better

--I'd actually say we couldn't get any worse production in left field than what we did this year. Even with no change to our mix, just bringing back Eddie, someone like a Grossman, maybe Duvall, and even Ozuna, I don't think they can't play much worse than they did this year. Sort of got the worst possible year from all of them. We definitely need an upgrade, more just stating there is literally only upside from what we got this year

--We may need to more seriously consider bringing Duvall back to play center-field vs. tough lefties and give Harris days off

--I sort of understand chemistry wise, coming off the WS and even losing Freeman why Heredia stuck on the roster but that one shouldn't even be a question this year, he has no business being on a major league roster

--We 100% need to get a left field bat that can play adequate defense and hit left hand pitching.

--In an ideal world Contreras could really also hit left field hard this year and get some major reps in LF

--We also get Pina back from surgery and that should allow Contreras to play left / DH

--I actually don't view us as backed-into corner on short-stop. No one wants an Arcia / Grissom to be where we land, but we can certainly get by riding the two of them as our 9th hitter. We just can't have short-stop and left field / DH be a gap. So to the extent we addressed left field with a trade and were left with Arcia / Grissom, I'd say not ideal, but also not a disaster (whereas at first base, it was more black and white if Freeman left, had to go get Olson)

--We get back Albies. Production wise we effectively are trading Swanson for Albies in a worst-case that we don't replace Swanson

--Definitely think we need another reliever. This year should tell us all we need to know. Way to fickly in any year to think you can lose depth and be ok. Ideally we replace Jansen with a 7th / 8th inning reliever that is just a better, versatile type reliever

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post

Yes, Ronald was not quite right this year, but he was still on a 20/40 pace with good metrics. With a regular offseason/spring training I think he will go ape****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Acuna
    Turner
    Olson
    Riley
    Conforto
    TDA
    Albies
    Contreras DH
    Harris

Make it happen

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    596 Posts
    If we wanted to I think we could get by this offseason adding a LHRP and a RHRP resigning Duvall as the 4th OF and bringing back Pederson to complete the LF platoon. From there we just need to improve the bench by getting a back up SS to get Grissom in AAA.

Lineup

Acuña RF
    Harris ll CF
    Contreras DH
    Riley 3B
    Olson 1B
    Albies 2B
    d’Arnaud C
    Pederson/Duvall LF
    Arcia SS

Bench

Pina C
    Pederson/Duvall OF
    Grissom UTIL
    Ozuna DH

Rotation

Fried
    Strider
    Wright
    Morton
    Soroka/Elder/Muller/Anderson

Pen

Inglsias CP
    Minter SU
    Yates SU
    McHugh MR
    Lee MR
    LHP
    RHP
    Stevens LR

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Acuna
    Turner
    Olson
    Riley
    Conforto
    TDA
    Albies
    Contreras DH
    Harris

I could live with this
    Last edited by brian22; 10-16-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Anyone else rather have Jansen and Diaz over DeGrom?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to brian22 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-17-2022)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Scuba Steve and the Scuba squad
    You see that guy there, leave him alone.

It ain't his fault he CAN'T READ.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    Anyone else rather have Jansen and Diaz over DeGrom?
    AA is probably set with Iglesias as closer.

He will either trade for another bullpen arm with a few years left on his deal or use the farm.
    Forever Fredi