Page 3 of 225 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    AA is probably set with Iglesias as closer.

He will either trade for another bullpen arm with a few years left on his deal or use the farm.
    For better or worse, Kirby Yates is set to make real money next year so I think he’s going to get a shot at high leverage innings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    You can’t go into the season with Grissom or Arcia as the starting SS on a WS contending team. They are back ups to a star SS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-17-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    Acuna
    Turner
    Olson
    Riley
    Conforto
    TDA
    Albies
    Contreras DH
    Harris

I could live with this
    While I don’t expect Turner to be a realistic option, I could definitely see AA grabbing Conforto on a short deal. That’s exactly the type of contract AA used to kick off this era of contention when he signed guys like JD and Ozuna the first time.

I expect SS to obviously be the focus. With the early rotation likely set as Fried, Strider, Wright, Morton and Soroka, I imagine AA will next focus on value adds to the BP and LF with all remaining funds. He must upgrade LF from Ozuna/Rosario somehow since Contreras needs to be the DH most days with Pina sharing the bulk of the catching duties with TDA. Even if that upgrade is something as simple as Grossman on a bargain deal, something has to be done.

Assuming AA has something like $45M to spend, that could possibly get Swanson and Conforto.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Harris came up while Duvall was healthy. In fact, Duvall turned his season around once he stopped playing CF every night.
    Had my injured OF wrong. Rosario went down in April and the Braves bumbled around for a month or so before calling up Harris. I guess my point has always been what would the season have looked like if Pina and Rosario hadn't gotten injured? My guess is Harris and Contreras join the team at some point, but those two guys were really keys to the season. Add to that Grissom's August tear and you have some unexpected contributions.

Duvall will likely be back. Hits LHP extremely well and plays very good defense in LF and can back up CF if absolutely necessary.

Contreras is probably the everyday DH with Pina back.

I think every effort will be made to move Ozuna even if that means swallowing 100 to 150 rolls of quarters. I'm on the fence regarding Rosario.

Curious to see where the money goes this off-season. Obviously SS is the gaping maw that has to be filled. I'm guessing a non-Odorizzi SP and a couple of bullpen arms for other expenditures. I guess we'll have to see on Yates. Just looked it up and Yates is actually due more money than McHugh for 2023.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Think it's a little risky going into the year with Arcia/Grissom. Given we just had 3M fans this year, money cant be an excuse. Think we're okay at SP with what we have, DeGrom talk is fun but i cant see it unless AA has way more money than we expect he does.

Need to upgrade on Ozuna/Rosario and have Contreras be the full-time DH with Pina returning. Swanson will probably cost the least but i have a feeling AA wants one of the other 3, but as long as he gets one of the top 4 shortstops, thats fine. Not the greatest outfield market minus Judge, so AA has his work cut out if he wants to upgrade that spot. BP is an area we probably need to address as well, not a Diaz type but a McHugh type signing just for depth especially with Matzek out.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    I'm just stirring the pot I suspect, but Albies plays 2b because Dansby was at SS. If Dansby isn't at SS, do you let Albies play SS?

I'd feel much better about Grissom at 2b and Arcia in the super-sub role than either at SS.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    I would love to see if we can make Contreras a playable lf.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I would love to see if we can make Contreras a playable lf.
    See if you can find any highlight film from Evan Gattis playing LF. My guess is Contreras becomes the everyday DH with Pina back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I for for Contreras bing the full time DH and 3rd catcher. Grissom should be pretty sought after and with no position he should be trade bait for a real LF. I think we’ve seen the last of Ozuna.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'd love to make a run at Randy Arozarena for left field, but it might be a year early since he's arb eligible next offseason, so still fairly cheap for 2023. Not to mention who knows if we have the pieces to get it done.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'd love to make a run at Randy Arozarena for left field, but it might be a year early since he's arb eligible next offseason, so still fairly cheap for 2023. Not to mention who knows if we have the pieces to get it done.
    I am not sure Randy, but I really like the idea of trading on the come. We, fans, would have given much more for the rookie who came out like fire than the 3rd year player who has turned out to be average. So maybe a player like Grissom, who really only has value to the Braves in case of injury, would entice a better player that cost a little more.

What would Grissom, Elder, A+ guy attract?

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    AA is probably set with Iglesias as closer.

He will either trade for another bullpen arm with a few years left on his deal or use the farm.

https://twitter.com/dobrienatl/statu...iNvUbO6N_UOQFA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA likes having 2 closers that’s why I think he’d splurge on Diaz if he’s in the ball park.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Taylor Rogers seems pretty intriguing as a 1 year prove it deal. Lefty that could replace Matzek. Closer experience.

Andrew Chafin would also be a nice option if he declines his player option.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-18-2022)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    So, McGuirk is talking top 5 payroll...article behind a paywall on AJC.com.

Braves were 8th in MLB in payroll this year at $188MM according to the article.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    So, McGuirk is talking top 5 payroll...article behind a paywall on AJC.com.

Braves were 8th in MLB in payroll this year at $188MM according to the article.
    I believe a top 5 payroll would be $230-240 million.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    AA likes having 2 closers that’s why I think he’d splurge on Diaz if he’s in the ball park.
    Not sure he’d invest that much long term in the pen. He typically likes the shorter term deals. Craig Kimbrel and Aroldis Chapman are both free agents coming off down years that could be had for cheap.

Iglesias becomes the main closer with either Chapman or Kimbrel into the 8th inning spot. The. You have Yates, Minter, McHugh, Lee in there as well
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Taylor Rogers seems pretty intriguing as a 1 year prove it deal. Lefty that could replace Matzek. Closer experience.

Andrew Chafin would also be a nice option if he declines his player option.
    Rogers was solid for the Twins and had some hiccups this year in San Diego and Milwaukee, but he's been a very good control pitcher with a K-rate > 10. I'm curious to see what his market is.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I believe a top 5 payroll would be $230-240 million.
    233 is luxury tax

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not sure he’d invest that much long term in the pen. He typically likes the shorter term deals. Craig Kimbrel and Aroldis Chapman are both free agents coming off down years that could be had for cheap.

Iglesias becomes the main closer with either Chapman or Kimbrel into the 8th inning spot. The. You have Yates, Minter, McHugh, Lee in there as well
    Not sure if you've been new to baseball but Kimbrel is cooked. Dodgers probably break the wins record if he isnt on the roster this year.