Page 32 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    The Braves can go over the luxury tax and pay a penalty yet in actual dollars spent spend less than the luxury tax threshold. At the end of the day, I’m sure the only number AA is accountable for is what gets sent to players on a check.
    This is a very good point, and an angle I hadn't considered before. We can just add Luxury Tax as a 27th player on the roster when we do our 2023 payroll tabulations.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-18-2022), jpx7 (11-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    so your basis for “Adames makes more sense than Reynolds” is one blurb of pure speculation by MLB trade rumors. got it. how could i have missed that.
    Of all the options for shedding payroll, trading away the 4+ WAR SS scheduled to make $9M would be pretty far down my list if I'm in control of a playoff contender...which the Brewers are.

However, if they could turn Adames into some cheap MLB-ready pieces like Ian Anderson and Grissom, perhaps that gets something going. That's the type of moves the Rays do all the time, so it's plausible the Brewers do something similar.

As always, nothing would shock me this offseason other than the Braves having a fire sale or acquiring deGrom/Verlander.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Yeah that’s their just regurgitating what Rosenthal said a few days ago. Only AA and McGuirk know what we have to spend. I’ll still believe it when I see it but they didn’t spend what they have just to cheap out at SS.

Personally, I think a stopgap at SS is an ok trade off for locking in players if you think the extensions were a good move.

Even before the extensions, I honestly thought going cheap at SS was a good possibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Personally, I think a stopgap at SS is an ok trade off for locking in players if you think the extensions were a good move.

Even before the extensions, I honestly thought going cheap at SS was a good possibility.
    I’d be fine with Adames if he’s available as long as they upgrade somewhere else too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I’d be fine with Adames if he’s available as long as they upgrade somewhere else too.
    Adames would be a huge get. he’s very good. i don’t think Dansby will be much better the next 3 or so years
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by percival View Post
    On a different subject, how about we get Jarlin Garcia from SF.
    They DFA'd him earlier in the week.
    Would pair well with Minter and Lee from the lh side of the pen.
    He was the most surprising DFA that I saw. Seems to out-pitch his stuff, but one really can't argue with the results. Very good stats against LHH.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Adames would be a huge get. he’s very good. i don’t think Dansby will be much better the next 3 or so years
    lol okay... so it's cool for you to discuss Adames now... just not anyone else?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    lol okay... so it's cool for you to discuss Adames now... just not anyone else?
    …i don’t think Adames is a realistic option because i have no reason to believe that. i’m simply responding to the person i quoted saying “if we upgrade elsewhere” stating Adames would theoretically be essentially equal to signing Dansby and therefore wouldn’t necessarily require an upgrade elsewhere.

perhaps you’re easily confused, nuance can be difficult for some to grasp. but i wasn’t suggesting Adames is a possibility because i don’t see him as one. and yes i do still believe throwing his name out there is dumb because it’s not happening.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    are the Brewers looking to rebuild or something? why are they trading Adames and what are the Braves trading for him?
    at least Reynolds has been on the market. Adames has not, and the Brewers narrowly missed the playoffs.
    i’d love Adames too but i don’t see how it makes sense, and i’ve seen nothing indicating the Brewers are entering a rebuild and selling off their pieces. while we’re making things up, will the Blue Jays trade Bichette to Atlanta? how about the Astros and Peña?
    Pirates aren't shopping Reynolds unless they are getting a king's ransom. We don't have enough to get him anyways.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The problem with trading for Rosario, Adames or any other pretty good Major League shortstop is that our farm system is basically fallow and we can be outbid by just about any other shortstop-needy club. We can cobble together a package of Grissom and a bunch of fringe-y pitchers (Muller, Elder, Schuster, Tarnok, etc), but that only gets you so far.
    That's why Rosario makes a lot of sense. His cost should not be substantial with only 1 year remaining. Maybe something like Muller, Ynoa, and filler? Ian Anderson straight up?
    Last edited by Carp; 11-17-2022 at 04:21 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    AA rarely does what is expected. I think the Olson trade was the only move he's made that seemed to be speculated in the media before it happened.

I almost feel like it's more likely they put Grissom at SS and swing a big trade or signing to LF.

Looks like the PHillies are going to land one of the big 4 SS. It seems unlikely we'll get Dansby after not signing him now. Same thing with Fried, if we don't extend him it's hard to see him as a free agent signing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That's why Rosario makes a lot of sense. His cost should not be substantial with only 1 year remaining. Maybe something like Muller, Ynoa, and filler? Ian Anderson straight up?
    I’d like to see how Anderson responds to adversity. He’s probably not ever going to be #2, but he’s shown enough early in his career to be a nice cost controlled #4 with upside to be a #3. Trading him for a rental league average short stop feels like a waste.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Oh, you'd be fine with a 4+ WAR SS costing $9M? But only if they also upgraded somewhere else?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    With the shift going away in 2023 I hope AA emphasizes defense at SS a bit more than he would have in the past. This makes trading for someone like Kim preferable to trading for someone like Rosario. But if he's going to go after someone like that...why not just roll with Arcia?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Oh, you'd be fine with a 4+ WAR SS costing $9M? But only if they also upgraded somewhere else?
    I didn’t realize he had actually played that well. Either way LF is a black hole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    With the shift going away in 2023 I hope AA emphasizes defense at SS a bit more than he would have in the past. This makes trading for someone like Kim preferable to trading for someone like Rosario. But if he's going to go after someone like that...why not just roll with Arcia?
    Is Arcia good at ss?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think the biggest thing the Braves can add is a healthy Acuna and Albies to the lineup regardless who we got out there at SS. Biggest concern with Grissom if he's handed the job is his glove, he showed he could hit even if he scuffled once teams got some intel on him.

We need to at least add a better LF'er if we wont pay Dansby, if we're going cheap at SS.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Good writeup by MLBTR: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...braves-11.html

For those hanging their hopes on that "Top 5 payroll" promise to help fill SS: "...the Braves already rank fifth in projected 2023 payroll. Their luxury tax number is projected by both Cot’s and Roster Resource between $222MM and $228MM, with Cot’s pegging that third-highest in the majors."

So...they are already a Top 5 payroll with a huge empty slot at SS. I suspect the plan is Rosario/Ozuna/Contreras at LF/DH, and some low end or internal option at SS. Swanson's money may have been spent on Morton.

But...nothing would shock me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Kyle Lewis traded to the Dbacks

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Empty slot depends what they think of Grissom. Also depends how much we can clear from players like Pina, Rosario and Ozuna.

Payroll is already technically around top 5 with arb guys, and other accounting stuff. But obviously alot of big money clubs are gonna spend this winter (Philly, NYY, LAD, SF, NYM, etc).
    Last edited by Heyward; 11-17-2022 at 07:02 PM.