Page 44 of 225 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Murphy would make no sense even after trading Pina. Unless you would platoon TDA and Murphy and let Contreras DH full time. That would be fine if we didn’t have Ozuna. Until he’s gone it’ll be like this unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Contreras at DH makes ozuna an extremely expensive PH. Looks like we stuck with ozuna, so I hope his last 83 PA were a good sign...

.269/.301/.500

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    That’s really interesting about Murphy. Surely they wouldn’t trade Contreras. If they did get Murphy then a package of Contreras, Grissom, Anderson would get you a pretty dang good controllable player. I’d spend my resources elsewhere though.
    If the Braves don't think Contreras has much of a future behind the plate, now would best time to trade him for max value. He could bring back a really good player in return for some team that thinks he can be their everyday catcher. Obviously you lose your DH, but finding a DH is way easier then finding a good SS or cOF.

The problem is finding a team that has a SS or cOF to give up. Generally, a team that has a very good major league player available would be more inclined to trade for prospects instead of another major league player. And teams that need Contreras likely wouldn't want to give up a valuable player from the roster because it just makes another hole. However, Contreras still has 5 years of control remaining, so he could still be seen as a building block. Maybe he could be a centerpiece for someone like Bryan Reynolds for instance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    DOB could come out looking like an even bigger idiot if we pay up for a SS or any player really. He keeps saying we don’t have much to spend and what we do have is exaggerated. I just don’t believe this. I’m sure AA is trying to dump players like Ozuna, Pina, and Rosario but we only have 1 hole to really address and that’s SS. I just don’t see AA not addressing it in an impactful way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If the Braves don't think Contreras has much of a future behind the plate, now would best time to trade him for max value. He could bring back a really good player in return for some team that thinks he can be their everyday catcher. Obviously you lose your DH, but finding a DH is way easier then finding a good SS or cOF.

The problem is finding a team that has a SS or cOF to give up. Generally, a team that has a very good major league player available would be more inclined to trade for prospects instead of another major league player. And teams that need Contreras likely wouldn't want to give up a valuable player from the roster because it just makes another hole. However, Contreras still has 5 years of control remaining, so he could still be seen as a building block. Maybe he could be a centerpiece for someone like Bryan Reynolds for instance.
    And I’d be fine with that. Not sure what Murphy would cost but if we could sign one of the SS and then use Grissom and Contreras to get Reynolds that would really make the team a powerhouse.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Andy Martino
    @martinonyc
    ·
    2h
    Mets are at a ~ $250MM. Add a deGrom/Verlander they're just south of ~$290. There's no hard line, but figure Nimmo would get them to, what ~$315? Would still need another SP and bullpen. Something has to give somewhere.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Andy Martino
    @martinonyc
    ·
    2h
    Mets are at a ~ $250MM. Add a deGrom/Verlander they're just south of ~$290. There's no hard line, but figure Nimmo would get them to, what ~$315? Would still need another SP and bullpen. Something has to give somewhere.
    Yeah, i'm not sure how high they're willing to go either. Even for someone with as much money as Cohen has, i just dont know if he wants to have a 350 million payroll.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Nimmo would be great in our lineup. Trade for Rosario at ss or get iglesias

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

Theoretically Contreras should bring back a ton of value in a trade, especially with how much control he has left before hitting free agency, and how weak the catcher position currently is around the majors. He's still controlled for 2 more years before even being arbitration eligible, and 5 years under team control left overall.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Interesting take. Says the Braves are focused more on their actual payroll number and not the luxury tax number, so take that for what its worth. Also, it is interesting to point out. The Braves have roughly $50M coming off the books next season. That being the case, if they go over the luxury tax this season, but drop under it next season, they will only have around a $4M fine which is reasonable. Especially considering they are getting increased $$$ from their TV contract than in the past, and they got around $30m from MLB selling that asset to Disney.

I think they do go over the luxury tax and bring back Swanson, or bring in one of either Turner or Correa
    This is actually a good point to consider. Even if they went over this year, and had to pay a small penalty, they could have a path to getting back under next season. We will see what happens

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    This is actually a good point to consider. Even if they went over this year, and had to pay a small penalty, they could have a path to getting back under next season. We will see what happens
    Morton, Rosario, Pina, Yates, Arcia would all be free agents after this season. d'Arnaud also has an option year that could be declined, but i'd keep him.

And only having 1 year / $16m on Ozunas deal would make it a little easier to trade him, especially if he has a bounce back season.

To be honest, if talking about cutting salary in places, it really makes me wonder if we jumped the gun on paying $10m to get rid of Odorizzi. At the price pitchers have gone so far this offseason, it seems we could have saved a few million.
    Get off my lawn!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Little bit of hot stove action.

Chris Martin to Boston for 2 years/17.5 mil total. Mariners trade Winker and Abraham Toro to the Brewers for Kolten Wong per Ken.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Morton, Rosario, Pina, Yates, Arcia would all be free agents after this season. d'Arnaud also has an option year that could be declined, but i'd keep him.

And only having 1 year / $16m on Ozunas deal would make it a little easier to trade him, especially if he has a bounce back season.

To be honest, if talking about cutting salary in places, it really makes me wonder if we jumped the gun on paying $10m to get rid of Odorizzi. At the price pitchers have gone so far this offseason, it seems we could have saved a few million.
    I thought I read the 10 million that the Braves ate in the Odorizzi deal was booked in 2022. If this is thecase, then the Braves current payroll for 2023 would be in the 180 millions not in the 190 millions. I would also assume any buyouts that have happened were booked in 2022. I think the Braves have plenty to spend and will go over the tax.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I thought I read the 10 million that the Braves ate in the Odorizzi deal was booked in 2022. If this is thecase, then the Braves current payroll for 2023 would be in the 180 millions not in the 190 millions. I would also assume any buyouts that have happened were booked in 2022. I think the Braves have plenty to spend and will go over the tax.
    I think it was DoB who mentioned that, but Sport Trac and Fangraphs have the $10m into the 2023 payroll sitting around $195m.

Link
    Get off my lawn!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Braves may have paid the Odorozzi money this year before closing out annual books but for CBA issue it still counts as 2023 payroll. See Cots contracts. Bottom right side of Braves page.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    It won’t be hard to trade Pina. Almost every team is looking for a capable catcher, and supply is limited.

I think the Murphy interest was/is real. My guess is AA is seeing the desperation and trying to corner the market so he can set better terms.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Phillies have meetings with all four of the top SS. They’ll definitely grab one of them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    I think it was DoB who mentioned that, but Sport Trac and Fangraphs have the $10m into the 2023 payroll sitting around $195m.

Link
    No public database is going to know exactly how the Braves write off expenses but I think it’s pretty silly either way. Braves still have the write the check.

Clearly DOB was firing from the hip when he said that given he also said when this trade was made that the Braves would not be a luxury tax team.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-03-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Phillies have meetings with all four of the top SS. They’ll definitely grab one of them.
    I wonder what Dombrowski has planned when Nola become a free agent next winter (and Wheeler the next year). Truly they don’t have the money to resign everyone given they have been skiddish in the past going past the luxury tax threshold.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 12-02-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I wonder what Dombrowski has planned when Nola become a free agent next winter (and Wheeler the next year). Truly they don’t have the money to resign everyone given they have been skiddish in the past going past the luxury tax threshold.
    That’s why I think Dansby will be the one they cover the most bc he’ll be cheaper. Nola and Wheeler will be a lot more expensive and Hoskins will have to be resigned.