Page 50 of 225 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Declining EV's. Pretty massive home/rd splits.
    Worst defense among the top SS FAs.
    I still think he can hit, and he'd certainly be an offensive upgrade. Their D would continue to be a problem, but they would hit

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Dansby is younger?
    That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if Freeman is productive longer than Swanson even with the age difference. I think someone is really going to overpay for Swanson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if Freeman is productive longer than Swanson even with the age difference. I think someone is really going to overpay for Swanson.
    I agree with this.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I'll say Cubs.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Dansby is younger?
    He’s also never shown any consistency that Freddie ever did.

AA was willing to go higher for Freddie despite Freddie being close to his mid 30’s because he was Mr. Brave once chipper retired. And he also has shown far more consistency in his career than Dansby.

so yeah even if Dans is younger, I don’t blame AA for not breaking the bank on him. At least if Freddie’s defense declines we can use him as DH the remaining years.

Once dans defense declined his contract will not merit itself from his hit or miss offense.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-05-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I still think he can hit, and he'd certainly be an offensive upgrade. Their D would continue to be a problem, but they would hit
    He'll be good for a couple seasons if he can stay healthy. But he's likely going to get bad really fast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Anyone have any insight into why Reynolds took a step back stats wise last year compared to 2021?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Personally I won’t be all that upset if we move on from dansby. Letting freeman go was a mistake (not 100% on AA) and we will miss out on having a hall of famer retiring with a A on his cap.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-05-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Personally I won’t be all that upset if we move on from dansby. Letting freeman go was a mistake (not 100% on AA) and we will miss out on having a hall of famer retiring with a A on his cap.
    I still think AA made the right move on Freeman. If 6/140 is what Dansby countered, i wouldnt have been mad if we said yes to that. But i can see him get more than that. And i also get not signing Dansby as well given he hasnt had consistent production.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I still think AA made the right move on Freeman. If 6/140 is what Dansby countered, i wouldnt have been mad if we said yes to that. But i can see him get more than that. And i also get not signing Dansby as well given he hasnt had consistent production.
    I'm a big-time Freeman guy, but I'm not going to necessarily call Anthopoulos' decision to move on a mistake. He knows what kind of team he wants and deep down I think Olson fits that profile more than Freeman age/cost considerations aside. I don't get the logic behind the eight-year deal that Olson ended up signing, but I do understand the short-term considerations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm a big-time Freeman guy, but I'm not going to necessarily call Anthopoulos' decision to move on a mistake. He knows what kind of team he wants and deep down I think Olson fits that profile more than Freeman age/cost considerations aside. I don't get the logic behind the eight-year deal that Olson ended up signing, but I do understand the short-term considerations.
    I just look at it like similar compensation for a better hitter plus you get those players back traded to improve elsewhere. I've always been of the belief that ageing curves don't apply to the same degree for all time great players.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Either way its irrelevant. Olson is a good player and Braves are set at first for a few years.

The point was to say that Dansby isn't Freeman and letting Dansby go won't be as costly to overcome.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I just look at it like similar compensation for a better hitter plus you get those players back traded to improve elsewhere. I've always been of the belief that ageing curves don't apply to the same degree for all time great players.
    I can see both sides and you're not wrong here. I think Freeman's power numbers are going to decline, but HRs can turn into doubles and his hitting fundamentals are so good that I think he's going to continue to hit for average. I don't get to watch a ton of Braves' action, but Olson looks like one of the strongest players I've seen in that he can be late on a pitch and still hit it out of the park. He reminds me a bit of Mike Piazza in that sense. I think the big worry with Olson is that if his power numbers decline, he really can't adjust his game and the last few years of that contract won't look good.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    It takes him until his age 35 season but certainly see the risk if he doesnt age well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Did this seriously turn into another Olson/Freeman debate? I’m sure y’all can dig up another post and scrap it out in there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-04-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Winter Meetings start today. Not expecting anything major to happen until Monday, maybe Tuesday. On the Braves front, there's been no leaks as usual so who the hell knows what AA is doing/planning.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    6/140 is the very, very max I'd be willing to stomach for bringing Dansby back. So if that's not going to get him, getting a viable everyday LF is essential if we're not going for one of the other big shortstops.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-05-2022)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Pipe dream but, trade for Reynolds and somehow attach Rosario in deal and sign Correa or Turner. That would be an awesome off season.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Stay away from Reynolds. He’s more of the 3 WAR player than the 6 WAR guy he was one year. Good player, not worth a haul. Good players on bad teams get overvalued by the controlling team and opposing teams because of their star status on that bad team. Vaughn Grissom is dirt cheap and under control for awhile. He could easily be a 3 WAR guy not to mention the other pieces we would give up.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    6/140 is the very, very max I'd be willing to stomach for bringing Dansby back. So if that's not going to get him, getting a viable everyday LF is essential if we're not going for one of the other big shortstops.
    Problem is there's not alot of great outfielders on the market after Judge. I'm not sure if we're gonna be in the top tier shortstops but maybe AA makes a splash and feels it's time.