Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is bondage illegal or is it legal bc of consent?
    The Man is gross. Lets move on. He is a dick and we all know it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    She asked him to choke and hit her. He hits and chokes her. He's the bad guy while she's a victim. Seems weird to me
    It's not weird though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Shewmake not invited to ST. Guess he's officially a bust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I hate when I'm right. Though to be fair, COVID hit his development.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-02-2023)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Asking someone to do something illegal (assault) to you does not suddenly make the act legal.

Doing something awful to someone because they asked you to do it does not suddenly make the act un-awful...nor does it suddenly make you right for doing it.

If I ask you to beat me with a boat oar, and then you beat me with a boat oar, you will still face the consequences of beating me with a boat oar when I tell someone about it. If I then come back and ask to be beaten again, you will still face consequences for beating me with the boat oar. Me asking to be beaten with a boat oar doesn't suddenly make it OK for you to beat me with a boat oar.

I'm confused where the confusion lies. Bauer is out of trouble because rich people tend to get out of trouble, not because he's some innocent party.
    Technically, consent does make the act of assault (battery) legal. As long as the striker doesn’t go beyond what was consented. Why sports like boxing and MMA are legal. It is assumed consent. Apso why jackass and a million YouTubers aren’t in jail. There is assumed consent.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Didn’t deserve to be. Be better and get invited.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    He’s on the 40 man roster. Why wouldn’t he report for Spring Training? Thanks!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    He’s on the 40 man roster. Why wouldn’t he report for Spring Training? Thanks!!
    I'm an idiot. Didn't realize he was on 40 man

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Technically, consent does make the act of assault (battery) legal. As long as the striker doesn’t go beyond what was consented. Why sports like boxing and MMA are legal. It is assumed consent. Apso why jackass and a million YouTubers aren’t in jail. There is assumed consent.
    Just a guess as to why he wasn't criminally prosecuted. The police likely asked "Was there a safe word?" and "Did she use the safe word?" The answers from both were probably "Yes" and "No". That makes it almost impossible to prosecute. Not being able to prosecute doesn't change the fact he is a highly conditioned athlete willingly physically abusing a woman for sexual gratification. Guy needs some significant counseling to unpack why he needs to abuse a woman during sex.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (02-02-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    From Robert Murray on Twitter:

"Sources: The Atlanta Braves are hiring Dean Decillis as special assistant to the general manager. Decillis was a special assignment scout with the Blue Jays and played a key role in scouting Alejandro Kirk, among other players."

Assuming this is to help with the draft this year with Brown leaving. Saw some Blue Jays fans seem upset about it, so that's a good sign.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-02-2023), Garmel (02-02-2023), JohnAdcox (02-02-2023), jpx7 (02-04-2023), Tapate50 (02-02-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I assume we are ranked last in all of these prospect rankings coming out?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm sure we are close it. Good thing we've hit on almost all our top guys recently.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Isn't he on the 40-man, so an automatic invite? Or am I misremembering? Unless it was the leg injury last year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Isn't he on the 40-man, so an automatic invite? Or am I misremembering? Unless it was the leg injury last year?
    You're correct. I'm uniformed... didn't realize he was on 40-man. Really need for lineup, 26-man, and 40-man posts here

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    You're correct. I'm uniformed... didn't realize he was on 40-man. Really need for lineup, 26-man, and 40-man posts here
    And I didn't scroll up. So my bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Forgetting shewmakes roster status is forgivable.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-04-2023)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'm sure we are close it. Good thing we've hit on almost all our top guys recently.
    Last or next-to-last. And overall, I'm not too worried about it—not just for the reason that the major-league team is populated with a host of "hits" and other locked-down talent. I also think there's a lot of high-upside, if high-variance, guys in the lower minors, who—given the Braves' recent development track-record—have a good chance to produce a few more "hits" that will boost the rankings and, more importantly, the systemic depth.

For 2023, however, I am a little bit worried about the state of the farm. On the pitching side, I think the Braves are in a solid place: between Soroka (a big wild-card, but a lot of upside), Anderson, Elder, Shuster, Vines, and Dodd, I think the Braves have a good amount of depth, in terms of starters who could step in and be serviceable in the event of injury. On the position player side, however, the situation is pretty bleak—with Jesse Franklin V, returning from injury, representing the most advanced guy who might be worth something at the MLB level, followed by Cal Conley.

It's really the thing that makes the Malloy–Jimenez trade seem really indefensible, even if you weren't sold on JHM, and likewise even if you want to take the rosy-glassed outlook on Jimenez's potential in his final year of club control. Because, even if Malloy wasn't a future impact starter, he at least had some nominal positional versatility (3B/LH), and looked like he'd marry that with a non-worthless bat. To remove that from the systemic equation for a high-variance, pending-FA reliever just seems ... less than wise. As it stands now, it's a real puzzle what reserves the Braves could call on in the event of a couple position player injuries—depth is solid at C, thanks to redundancy; and having both Arcía and Grissom, in addition to Albies, helps in the middle infield; but the backup options in the corners, both on the dirt and grass, are very uninspiring.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

thethe (02-04-2023)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    On a related note: I've been beating this drum for a year or so, but that truncated 2021 draft is looking more and more like a masterclass. Only four picks, but thus far it's produced: Quadzilla; a guy, in Elder, who has already had some success at MLB, and looked like his floor is solid back-end starter, with the potential to be solid mid-rotation is he keeps developing; another guy, in Shuster, who seems to have a high-floor similar to Elder's, but who could also be useful in LHP relief, with a secondaries-first McHugh-style approach, if his fastball prevents him from being a viable two-times-through-the-order guy; and Jesse Franklin V, whose development was severely stunted by the TJ injury last year, but who had an intriguing combination of power and speed, and who at this point is probably the Braves' most advanced hitting prospect, after Malloy's departure.

It's a pretty exciting development, and one I find especially entertaining, given that I thought it looked like a pretty crappy draft at the time it occurred. Always nice to eat some crow when the upshot is much better value to the team.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Farm system perceptions change quickly.

Nobody really knows what guys below AA are going to develop into.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Some interesting position players from the 2022 draft (Alvarez, Baldwin, McCabe) and a few of the later position picks in the OF (Kilpatrick, Williams, Jackson) that might have some buzz, but for the most part, it'll be the pitchers from the 2022 draft (Murphy, Ritchie, Phillips, Maier, Keller, Burkhalter) and a couple of pitchers from the 2021 draft (Smith-Shawver and Shoemaker) that have the greatest chance of moving the needle significantly upwards.

Not much in terms of ceiling on the holdover guys from earlier drafts and signings. Shuster is at the top of the list of likely contributors in 2023, followed by Vodnik and Vines. If Shewmake hits, he could prove valuable if the big league SS experiment with Grissom and Arcia is found to be wanting. A solid return for Franklin would be a plus. The best of the remaining guys look to be utility IFs (Quintero, Conley, Waddell, Milligan) and a sleeper catching prospect in Tolve. OF Tyler Collins missed most of the 2022 season with an injury and he's another guy to watch. I think it's a make-or-break season for guys like Mezquita, Morton, Paolini, and Backstrom, who have all shown something, but not consistently. Our most notable signings from the last couple of international groups (Tavarez, Glod, Benitez) all underperformed in terms of their surface stats, but it's really difficult to make a solid judgment from performance--good or bad--in the short-season leagues.

Can't stress enough how the international sanctions hurt the Braves. Bae and Soto are now in the major leagues and I wouldn't be surprised if Severino joins them in 2023.

PS--Forgot to add LHP Dylan Dodd, who could be in the mix for the back end of the rotation at some point in the near future.

PPS--RHP Schwellenbach also someone to watch coming off Tommy John surgery.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 02-04-2023 at 09:49 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-04-2023)