Results 3,621 to 3,640 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Is a risk you take with every pitcher you sign to a contract of more than one year.
    Yeah, but strider was already controlled for 5 (or 4?) more years with no risk. And strider is more reliant on velocity, the first thing pitchers lose as they age, than any other pitcher in the organization.

It seems folks still can’t grasp how much risk AA has taken on with all these extensions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    From Nightengale’s recent article. I guess we now know the exact hang up:

He’s not a New York Met, who turn out to be as alarmed as the Giants by Correa’s medical reports on his lower right leg, tabling his 11-year, $315 contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

It seems folks still can’t grasp how much risk AA has taken on with all these extensions.
    "...No nuts, no glory (no glory)
    My biography, you damn right, the true story (Yeah)
    Set the city on fire, and I didn't even try (try)
    Run these streets all day, I can sleep when I die (Ayy)..."

AA putting on for his city haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But if he repeated this years success, his price would likely have been a lot higher. Not saying I agree with signing him early just saying both decisions come with risk.
    It wouldn’t be any higher than the 22 million he’s gonna get the last couple years. That’s not much of a discount if any at all.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    From Nightengale’s recent article. I guess we now know the exact hang up:

He’s not a New York Met, who turn out to be as alarmed as the Giants by Correa’s medical reports on his lower right leg, tabling his 11-year, $315 contract.
    I think he just needs to sign shorter deals with a nice high AAV. He is still going to be stupid rich.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It wouldn’t be any higher than the 22 million he’s gonna get the last couple years. That’s not much of a discount if any at all.
    But whose to say he would have taken the extension at all

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Strider is the contract I’m worried about of all the extensions. 20-22 million per for 3 years could look really ugly if he looses velo.
    I’m worried about all the extensions other than the Acuna and Albies, and even the Acuna deal is now risky after major knee injury. Olson is a bat only player. Riley is a step above a bat only player. Harris has major platoon issues. Strider is a high velocity pitcher. Murphy is a catcher. These are players with very real risk.

My opinion is AA just as likely extended the next rebuild as he extended the window of contention.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    IÂ’m worried about all the extensions other than the Acuna and Albies, and even the Acuna deal is now risky after major knee injury. Olson is a bat only player. Riley is a step above a bat only player. Harris has major platoon issues. Strider is a high velocity pitcher. Murphy is a catcher. These are players with very real risk.

My opinion is AA just as likely extended the next rebuild as he extended the window of contention.
    The mostly likely outcome is a few of the extensions will be great deals, a few will be bad deals and and the rest will be average. That outcome should yield a team that can challenge for the division or wildcard the next 4 years. I donÂ’t see the Mets or Phillies getting far ahead of the Braves over the next few years.

In my opinion, the length of the next rebuild is tied to the draft and international signings the next 4 years not the extensions given out. Building the farms is absolutely key to success in four years. Also, once AA has prospects he has to be disciplined enough not to trade then away in hopes of marginally improving an aging core. If he is a super GM, in 4 years he will realize where he is in the contention window and trade away current core players that are still performing and try to accelerate a rebuild. Trading away fan favorites is an almost impossible thing to do.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I’m worried about all the extensions other than the Acuna and Albies, and even the Acuna deal is now risky after major knee injury. Olson is a bat only player. Riley is a step above a bat only player. Harris has major platoon issues. Strider is a high velocity pitcher. Murphy is a catcher. These are players with very real risk.

All valid points. Since he's gone this route, I'd like him to take the farm system rebuild to another level. It's like the Dodgers and Yankees do every year. Draft and international free agents.

The last two years have been exciting from my prospect-hound view point. AA has used the 2021-19 drafts as the center point of his trades. Of which I'm not particular sad about ( Shea is a stud, but Murphy is a proven stud). The top heavy prospects such as Waters, Tarnok, et.al allowed AA to maneuver his way to get the MLB club what it needed.

This leaves a bottom heavy farm that will need 3 years minimum to bear fruit even to the most optimistic prospect guru. You'll get 1-2 that will be closer, but this is major rebuild time. Shuster, Elder and a few others can plug and play at times. I won't bore you guys another list, but I'm ok with the farm knowing it'll be a minute until replenished unless we start trading high end talent which doesn't seem make sense IF the core performs as expected.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    no move is without risk but i’d say the extension route is less risky than the alternative, and having cost certainty is nice.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    no move is without risk but i’d say the extension route is less risky than the alternative, and having cost certainty is nice.
    I don't know the absolutes to that while agreeing with you. There are many examples both ways why it is considered risky. I personally would never go more than 4-5 years as a policy. If I'm churning my roster with the notion that I'll have to make trades to get what I need every 4-5 years...that's a risk I'd take. That's just me though.

Addendum: That voodoo magic AA weaves helps though.
    Last edited by Deester11; 01-08-2023 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

I agree with you. My only counter point is, since we have no help left coming from the farm, the next window of contention could arrive sooner than expected if most of these players suck, whether they are on extension or not.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    He’s already elite.
    He’s not a top 10 pitcher is baseball. He’s not even the best starter on the staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    He’s not a top 10 pitcher is baseball. He’s not even the best starter on the staff.
    Maybe. In 50 less innings, strider was behind max by 0.1 fWAR

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    My thoughts are - while there’s risk of injury or MH2 turning into JayHey or etc - I think we could be looking at the makings of a generational dynasty - if these guys truly pan out - we have most of an entire elite lineup locked up for relative low money and can afford to still make a big move if and when needed -
    AND more than enough time to totally re-load the farm and stack it full again.
    AA and the Braves FO went for it, and I for one am glad they did.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    My thoughts are - while there’s risk of injury or MH2 turning into JayHey or etc - I think we could be looking at the makings of a generational dynasty - if these guys truly pan out - we have most of an entire elite lineup locked up for relative low money and can afford to still make a big move if and when needed -
    AND more than enough time to totally re-load the farm and stack it full again.
    AA and the Braves FO went for it, and I for one am glad they did.
    Well technically we couldn’t afford to make a big move this year when we needed to. So I am not 100% sure this statement is true.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    I didn’t mean something flat dumb - like signing Dansby for 150M or etc - and boy something insane like Correa for 300M - that said, I believe we could have done one of those deals but they would have been awful contracts - and would have blown all of our reserve cash. Instead, we went with internal option and can make a move at deadline if we have to - and will be very well positioned for next year to add a major piece if we just have to - (if we had blown our wad on Dansby or Correa etc, we wouldn’t have that money available for next offseason or etc )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    In terms of his output once he began starting, he definitely is. But it's still a fairly SSS. If he can replicate last season this season, then I think we're looking at a guy who's as good as Fried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Wow MLB just reinstated Coppolella!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Wow MLB just reinstated Coppolella!
    LOL