Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 4482

Thread: Official official offseason thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Who is going to sign Bauer? Anyone think AA would take a flyer in order to free up one of the Anderson/Elder/Soroka chips?
    he had the longest suspension ever for domestic violence. we still have Ozuna.

Why would we do that? He has his money and will not starve. He can go play in another country or just go away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    he had the longest suspension ever for domestic violence. we still have Ozuna.

Why would we do that? He has his money and will not starve. He can go play in another country or just go away.
    He wasn’t found guilty and the punishment was to much just like the Coppy punishment was too much for the Braves. We didn’t have any blow back from Ozuna and the Bauer blowback would go by quickly too. If he can help us win which he definitely can I’d sign him. It’s only 700k.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (01-12-2023)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Lots of fan reasons to take a flyer on Bauer. Not the best solution but certainly should be looked at. Braves are way too talented (and pricey) at this time to not take a chance on a TOR pitcher (at least he was before suspension) for 700K.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    One of the (many) problems with the idea of signing Bauer is that he's not going to make it easy for the team that signs him. Bauer's not going to keep his head down, decline to make any comments on the abuse allegations, mouth all the appropriately humble and contrite platitudes and just throw a baseball very hard. Bauer doesn't do humble. He's going to say obnoxious, annoying things. So it's not going to be a situation where you weather some criticism for a few days after signing him, then just get on with the season. You'll be dealing with it all year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (01-16-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    For the $700K he can always be released and I doubt he would be the only release this year anyway. He has to learn sometime and I would bet he knows he has to keep his mouth shut if he wants a significant deal in 2024.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    One of the (many) problems with the idea of signing Bauer is that he's not going to make it easy for the team that signs him. Bauer's not going to keep his head down, decline to make any comments on the abuse allegations, mouth all the appropriately humble and contrite platitudes and just throw a baseball very hard. Bauer doesn't do humble. He's going to say obnoxious, annoying things. So it's not going to be a situation where you weather some criticism for a few days after signing him, then just get on with the season. You'll be dealing with it all year.
    This seems accurate. He is a bit of a douche...more than a bit actually. He will be a complete and utter nightmare when he wears a "I heart butthole" t-shirt warming up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-12-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This seems accurate. He is a bit of a douche...more than a bit actually. He will be a complete and utter nightmare when he wears a "I heart butthole" t-shirt warming up.
    AA's MO has always been about getting guys who are team players and want to be here...Bauer is neither of those. He is all about himself. But he is one of those TOR starters AA has been after for a few years and hasn't been able to get. So it is an interesting situation.

But I don't see him going after Bauer. Just an unnecessary distraction.

Word was that the Dodgers brass flew out to meet with Bauer after his suspension was reduced. He showed no remorse whatsoever for his actions and that is why they released him.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i’ll pass on the little cunt that is trevor bauer
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    This whole Bauer thing is funny to me. I mean we praise these kids and young men for being these egotistical narcissists with their flare and on fiels antics. Yet when one goes too far, we go whoa whoa. He is too much of a distraction. Not specifically saying Bauer is good or what he presumably did is equivalent to a bat flip. But athletes/celebs/politicians are groomed to be narcissistic who get what they want. I think the only reason he would be a distraction is because the fake righteous media would make it that way. I would bet we’ll over half the team wouldn’t care one way or the other if he preformed on the field.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Has everyone forgotten that his alleged victim had a go with Tatis Jr. Seems she may be looking for any connection possible, front or back.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    AA should absolutely sign Bauer. Absolutely. He was found guilty of nothing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    AA should absolutely sign Bauer. Absolutely. He was found guilty of nothing.
    Doesn't matter that he wasn't found guilty in the court of law. He is guilty of being a jackass in the court of public opinion.

Dude took those actions with that woman way too far, doesn't matter if it was consensual or not. Just a messed up situation.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This whole Bauer thing is funny to me. I mean we praise these kids and young men for being these egotistical narcissists with their flare and on fiels antics. Yet when one goes too far, we go whoa whoa. He is too much of a distraction. Not specifically saying Bauer is good or what he presumably did is equivalent to a bat flip. But athletes/celebs/politicians are groomed to be narcissistic who get what they want. I think the only reason he would be a distraction is because the fake righteous media would make it that way. I would bet we’ll over half the team wouldn’t care one way or the other if he preformed on the field.
    yet the vast majority don’t do what bauer did and act the way bauer does.

some people are genuinely bothered by everything surrounding him. just because you don’t care that people do stuff like that to others doesn’t mean no one actually cares about it.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    He really does throw that fastball hard though.
    thank you weso1!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yet the vast majority don’t do what bauer did and act the way bauer does.

some people are genuinely bothered by everything surrounding him. just because you don’t care that people do stuff like that to others doesn’t mean no one actually cares about it.
    Actually you have no idea what I like or approve of. Never once said. Just that people are being moralistic over something not proven. He could be guilty. He could be a victim of a chick trying to get paid. But I feel pretty confident that most of those who wouldn’t want him on their team are saying that because they hated him before or going with mob mentality.

I personally don’t care where Bauer ends up. He was a good pitcher. He was a punk like a lot of his fans wanted him to be. He did something dumb regardless if it was criminal or not. Let the courts reside that. But I am probably not going to get in this pretend uproar over something dumb a dumb athlete does.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    it will depend on this year I think. But you are only talking about 2 of his season that are over 4 wins and he is projected to be 3.6 this year. That is not a ringing endorsment. I would have rather paid FF a bit more money versus extending Olson. not debating the FF thing again.
    Basically nothing concerning in his expected stats as far as post prime warning signs.

any 1B fits the offense only, might age poorly category. I'm not sure why they felt need to extend him but I don't think they have a suicide pact with him or anything.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I didn't realize sexual abuse was the thing that you were praising. If it was, then by all means keep going. I'm not here to tear down your icons. Just to report to your parole officer.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I didn't realize sexual abuse was the thing that you were praising. If it was, then by all means keep going. I'm not here to tear down your icons. Just to report to your parole officer.
    Never struck a female. Even when asked. That was a crazy girl too. But I digress. I have skeletons but hitting women isn’t one of them. And I don’t advocate it. Since I don’t know what really happened and he isn’t guilty in a court of law. I won’t be outraged if my team signs him to pitch. I am not going to picket games or scream how awful he is. I probably wouldnt even like him. But I won’t have this mob moral outrage just because.

These cases are ****ty imo. I think men go too far most of the time. But there are some crazy women out there who will do anything to get paid. Anything. I tend to not get to worked up about them unless they are personal to me or egregious enough to warrant my rage.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Regardless of the sexual assault situation, Bauer was never going to be a fit here. The guy is the total opposite of what the Braves have been building in the clubhouse. A team who comes together as a family and wants to play together. The guy is a total self promoter and all about himself and building his brand. He's spoken openly about it. Sure someone can downplay a cohesive clubhouse as not a tangible thing, but we've certainly seen where poor clubhouse chemistry has torn good teams apart.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Bauer wasn't found not guilty, the DA declined pressing charges against him because there was too much he said she said. That does not mean one is guilty or innocent, just that the DA felt they did not have enough evidence to convict him. MLB definitely thinks the guy is guilty though. He has never denied the allegations, just said they were consensual. He has never apologized or shown any remorse. Hard pass